Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 4704 times)

Solon

• View Profile
Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
I think you can throw those power rankings out the door, don't you? The playoffs are another dimension compared to the regular season. With Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard on the bench, what does that do to SA's power ranking? Cleveland is healthy now as opposed to its injury-prone regular season.

Under the circumstances, GS has a clear path to the Finals. Boston has shown itself vulnerable, so even if they defeat Washington, they are not playing up to their regular season level as the top seed in the East. Should Washington pull out an unlikely win at Boston tonight, they are not up to challenging Cleveland in a 7 game series.

Barring major injuries, it will be GS and Cleveland in the Finals as predicted. I prefer Golden State, despite my admiration for LeBron James. I love the open passing game for which San Antonio and Golden State are famous. Cleveland experimented with that a little this year, and it didn't work. Isolation plays are still an important key to victory, especially in a challenging series. Unfortunately, SA has shown a propensity for that with Kawhi and GS the same with KD. GS went on a 13 game winning streak when KD was injured late in the season, and thus demonstrated the effectiveness of their passing offense. I want to see that continue.

I don't care how great LeBron is, isolation plays are less basketball and more HORSE. LOL
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
--Sir John Harrington

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »
Seriously, even if the starters were all injured and out for the rest of the playoffs and the Spurs had to sign free agents immeditately I still think no one would count out Coach Pop!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
OK, maybe not ALL the starters, but Pop has developed his bench well. He makes sure they get a lot of playing time and are contributing. Golden State follows the same pattern. Mike Brown and Steve Kerr, the GS coaches, learned from Pop. Ironically, Mike Brown spent last year hanging around with Pop and the Spurs when he was between jobs. While Steve Kerr is struggling with back problems, Brown is now running the Golden State show from the bench.

BTW, not that it matters in the long run, but Boston pulled out game 7 against Washington last night. It was not a surprise, but Washington made it an exciting game. If John Wall had not gone cold in the 4th quarter, maybe the story would be different. Boston got a huge lift from Kelly Olynyk's 26 points off the bench. Still, it's Cleveland in five.
--Sir John Harrington

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
Yep, after last night's game it could have been Washington, turned out to be Boston. Either way, in all likelihood they just earned the right to play another 4 games this season. No way they get past Cleveland.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »
Golden State crushed San Antonio in game 2. Apparently Kawhi Leonard's ankle injury (he sat out game 2) is much more serious after hurting it again in game 1. No word yet on whether he will play in game 3 Saturday.

Cleveland's win over Boston in game 1 AT BOSTON is no surprise. LeBron is playing at an incredible level. Kevin Love had a chance to show he still matters. I am revising my opinion that GS would have the advantage in the Finals this year with KD.

The 2016-17 All-NBA first team:
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/18/all-nba-teams-2017-release

Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Anthony Davis, LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard lead the All-NBA first team.

James Harden was the only unanimous selection for the first team. That is difficult to accept. Russell Westbrook was incredible in breaking Oscar Robertson's record. That portends that Harden may ultimately be selected as the player of the year. He has been great, but Westbrook was amazing.
Harden (500 points) was the only player named to the First Team on all 100 ballots, earning First Team honors for the third time in the last four seasons.  James (498 points) received 99 First Team votes, joining Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone as the only players in league history to make the All-NBA First Team 11 times.

The All-NBA First Team also features three players who were each selected to the First Team for the second time: Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook, who joined James in totaling 99 First Team votes and 498 points, San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard (96 First Team votes, 490 points) and New Orleans Pelicans center Anthony Davis (45 First Team votes, 343 points).   

The All-NBA Second Team includes three players making their All-NBA debuts: Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert and Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas.  They are joined by two Golden State Warriors, guard Stephen Curry (fourth All-NBA selection) and forward Kevin Durant (seventh All-NBA selection).

The All-NBA Third Team consists of forwards Jimmy Butler of the Chicago Bulls and Draymond Green of the Warriors, guards DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors and John Wall of the Washington Wizards and center DeAndre Jordan of the LA Clippers.  Butler, DeRozan and Wall are first-time All-NBA selections.  Green was named All-NBA for the second time, while Jordan earned his third All-NBA honor.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:33:34 PM by Solon »
--Sir John Harrington

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
I think I read somewhere that the NBA finals have never had both teams play as undefeated teams in the playoffs. So far GS and Cleveland both are. GS is just 2 games away and Cleveland is 3.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Bill I think youre right- thats the way its heading! And if that turns out to be the case heading into the Finals, I thoroughly bel's eve that no team goes the whole way undefeated!

Will be interesting to see if Lebron is able to keep this unbelievable run going! At some point, he is human and will have to stumble. I would thinking that with the "time off" between series he may come out looking a little slower to get his game rhythm back. How dare I!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Cleveland set a record in destroying Boston last night. They had a 41 point lead at halftime and won 130-86. With the injury to Boston's All-NBA guard, Isaiah Thomas, there is no roadblock to a sweep.

Golden State is in a similar situation. Kawhi Leonard will not play in game 3 tonight. Even though the game is in San Antonio, GS has a huge advantage with Tony Parker gone for good and Kawhi not even a certainty for game 4.

I don't think it is premature to look forward to the Finals. For the last two years, they have been marred by injuries, exhaustion, and disciplinary action.  This year both Cleveland and Golden State are in top form and well-rested. Each team has won a title against the other. Barring a late injury to a key player, this should be a great series between two of the best teams of all time. 
--Sir John Harrington

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
Boston's Isaiah Thomas is finished for the season...which, in any case, is two more games. Cleveland will complete the sweep.
--Sir John Harrington

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »
GS is 1 win away from making it to the finals undefeated.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2017, 01:43:53 AM »
Boston's Avery Bradley hit a three pointer with .1 of a second left in the 4th quarter to complete the return from a 21 point 3rd quarter deficit and defeat the unbeatable Cleveland Cavaliers 111-108. With their All-NBA star sitting on the bench with an injury, how did they do it? It's simple. Cleveland lost respect for them for just one quarter and that is all it took. In the playoffs you don't blink, you don't dog it down the court...not once, you don't stop and catch your breath. When you do, somebody is going to blow by you, and Boston did that repeatedly during the 4th quarter as Cleveland dogged it  with sloppy passes and "we've got this" attitudes. EVEN IF you beat them by 40 points two nights ago, you play the whole game. Now Cleveland's pretty record is gone. Maybe they needed this. I'm betting they won't take any more games for granted regardless of the score.
--Sir John Harrington

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08:19 AM »
Did not see that one coming. I believe that's going to be the only fall in the Cavaliers path to the finals; and Lebron only 11 points! He really can be human this postseason!

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Didn't see it happening either CS, but it was a pleasant surprise in an otherwise very predictable post-season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cleveland hater by any means. I just enjoy good competition and it was nice to see the underdog come through and get one. Like Salon, I'm thinking that's probably all they'll get.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »
You're right on, Bill. I have no favorite at all in the NBA- just trying to find a pro sport rather than NHL to get back into. Last night was the 1st game in the series that was good to watch in the 2nd half!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »
Golden State finished its sweep of San Antonio last night, completing a perfect 12-0 record for playoff wins in the quest for a Division championship. Yes, it is a new record. Kawhi Leonard sat out the game. Even with the Player of the Year finalist sitting out, SA made a respectable game of it. If the Warriors had faltered just a bit, SA could easily have pulled a Boston-type upset. It didn't happen. Steph and, especially, KD were on target while the rest of the team kept the defensive pressure up and the passing sharp.

This could be Manu Ginobili's last game. The fans were very appreciative and Steph showed some class by holding off on a free throw to join the crowd and other Warriors in applauding when Manu sat down. Kevin Durant offered a nice tribute in the postgame interview. I have followed the Spurs since before Manu joined the team. He always gave SA a huge lift when he came off the bench. He joined Tony Parker and Tim Duncan in carrying SA to 4 championships. He was a force in the playoffs this year in spite of his 39 years. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but his stats may not show how important he was to the team's success. 
--Sir John Harrington