Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 6319 times)

Common Sense

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Quote from: Solon;2210
That ship has sailed. Last year they lost Kevin Durant to free agency. There is no one better on the market in any year. I noticed his salary is 26 million this season, more than twice that of Stephen Curry. Any upgrades will be marginal.

So whats his contract length? Cause if they can't load up on talen and fellow playmakers then he's gonna look at moving to a place where he can get a ring!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Westbrook signed a 3 year contract extension last summer for $85 million. He won't be leaving soon.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/3/12372490/russell-westbrook-contract-extension-analysis-thunder-nba-news
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

RealConservative

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
Wow. Well, I wouldnt suspect he will be winning a title anytime soon. I don't know they will try to pick up in the offseason. My Hornets need a new NBA teach and an ensuing franchise draft!

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 01:21:45 AM »
San Antonio had the second best record in the NBA this season, but Memphis had every opportunity tonight to tie this series at 3 apiece. It took a reincarnation of the young Tony Parker to pull it off. Either Memphis has tremendous potential, or San Antonio is overrated. I have no doubt that Memphis is the story. There are so many impressive guards in he league and Mike Conley is one of them.

I am a long time Spurs fan and I was very concerned until the final seconds. Some of the lesser mentioned players like David Lee (formerly of Golden State who was replaced by Draymond Green after an injury--reminds me of the Tony Romo situation) and Patty Mills, give SA quality bench play.

The Houston-San Antonio semifinal series should be great to watch.

Toronto also put Milwaukee away tonight, but not after an incredible Bucks comeback.The Raptors blew a 25 point lead. The Bucks actually took the lead and kept it tight until the end. In a closeout game and down 25 you might expect a young team missing one of its key players, Jabari Parker (Duke), to fold. Not on your life. Malcolm Brogdon (UVA) is also a young star to keep your eyes on for the Bucks.

Toronto faces Cleveland in the semifinal round. I would be surprised if Cleveland is challenged.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »
Spurs-Rockets series has the makings of a classic! For them to get this far without Tim Duncan is something else; Coach Pop is showing his Hall of Fame abilities with this group.

Warriors should slid into the conference finals without Blake Griffin being out, and the fact that I know nothing about Karl Malone and John Stockton's old squad.

As a NBA passerby the last thing I want to see is a re-rematch of Cavs-Warriors. Give me Spurs-Wiz and I'm in!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 02:50:13 AM »
Houston-San Antonio is the series worth watching through the first two games. Each team had a big victory, although Houston's game 1 was by far the most impressive. With Tony Parker suffering an injury at the end of game 2, it sets up a real challenge for SA to handle Houston at Houston.

Cleveland is taking care of business with a 2-0 lead.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
Golden State and Cleveland are both 8-0 in the playoffs. Both teams have polished off their first two opponents to reach the division finals. Cleveland is probably the more impressive since its end-of-season doldrums vanished when the playoffs began. Golden State has dealt with some injuries, particularly to Kevin Durant, which could pose a problem if they resurface.

Boston and Washington are locked in a 2-2 tie based on victories at home. That gives Boston the edge if the home team holds serve. My heart says Washington, but my head says Boston.

San Antonio and Houston have each won on the opponent's court, so this series, also tied 2-2, is anyone's to take. Normally San Antonio would be the favorite, but the loss of Tony Parker is a major blow. Still, SA won without him to tie the series.  I have a huge soft spot for Pop and the Spurs going way back to the Admiral, so there is no way I can call it for Houston. James Harden is having a MVP year and Houston has a strong supporting cast.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
One has to think that at some point Cleveland and/or Golden State stumble. Do you think the Washington/Boston winner would have enough to take down the defending champs?

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »
Quote from: Common Sense;2278
One has to think that at some point Cleveland and/or Golden State stumble. Do you think the Washington/Boston winner would have enough to take down the defending champs?

If Cleveland continues to play without injuries it could easily be another 4-0 humiliation for either Boston or Washington.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 03:00:13 AM »
The Spurs won a thriller in San Antonio tonight. Kawhi Leonard sat out the overtime but SA pulled it out anyway, 110-107. James Harden had a last second three point attempt, but the old man, Manu Ginobli, the second oldest player in the league, blocked him from behind. Manu was a force all game. He can't play this many minutes every game, but he was not 39 tonight.

Houston's big man, Nene, suffered a season-ending injury in an earlier win against the Spurs, and San Antonio's long time all-star guard, Tony Parker, suffered the same fate. Both teams are under strength.

San Antonio leads the series 3-2 and returns to Houston on Thursday. Whichever team wins will be disadvantaged by injuries when facing Golden State. San Antonio, with the second best record in the league behind Golden State, has survived Tony's loss, but if Kawhi is out also, SA is done.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:02:59 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 03:54:20 AM »
Washington beat Boston at home to tie the series 3-3 and set up a big finale in Boston on Monday. Granted it was a squeaker, 92-91, but for the entire season each team has won at home so, no surprise. Washington will have to be extraordinary to win the series in Boston.

Speaking of which, extraordinary, that is, you would have to use that word about the crushing victory of San Antonio in Houston to take the series in 6 games. No one was expecting that. While both Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker sat on the bench with injuries, the Spurs humiliated Houston 114-75 and its MVP-candidate, James Harden. In the post game show Harden seemed to take it in stride, but he had to be suffering. He had the worst game of the season plus it was the season ender--no redeeming opportunity until next season. It's going to be a lllloooooonnnnngggg post season for the entire team, Harden especially.  

The San Antonio - Golden State match is what I looked forward to all season. It will be all I hoped IF Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard are able to play--otherwise, there is no possibility that SA can do to GS what they did to Houston--not even once. ABC Sunday at 3:30. Watch the best TEAMS (the two teams with the best records in the league) begin a great series...I hope.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:40:48 PM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
Its amazing what the Spurs have done without their injuries, and for a team that by all means should be "rebuilding" after the franchise Tim Duncan has retired.

Coach Pops is one of the best of ALL TIME. And it shows. I think the Warriors are going to be too much to handle.

John Wall though is on FIRE! Hoping the Wizards get the series and then take it to Lebron in the Eastern Finals.

Solon

• View Profile
NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
I would like to see Washington in the Eastern finals too. John Wall made the last second shot from long distance to tie the series. Boston taunted Washington by wearing funeral black and it backfired on them. In the post game interview Wall threw that back in their faces. There is a serious rivalry brewing between these teams. The finale could be a great game or a slugfest. Either way, both teams are fired up.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:07 AM »
San Antonio had a 20 point lead at half time (they led by 25 once) and lost to Golden State, 113-111. Kawhi Leonard reinjured his ankle and left the game in the third quarter. Steph Curry went wild with 19 points in the third (40 for the game) and got GS close, but SA had opportunities to win.

With Kawhi, SA has a chance, without him, none. He may play Tuesday, but I am expecting him to sit out that game and be prepared to play at San Antonio next Saturday, May 20, in game 3.

Tonight,  Boston v. Washington. The money is on Boston since neither team has won an away game in the series. But...John Wall may have one more statement to make.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
Tonight's the final game between Boston and Washington, right? Despite how Golden State won this last game, point remains they haven't lost a game in the playoffs yet... although I can't see them going perfect against the Spurs. On the other side, Cleveland hasn't lost a game either and despite their 9th place showing in the power rankings, they are winning where it counts. Obvious odds are the Warriors will be this year's champions and I like watching them play. Still... if it comes down to GS and CLE again, I'm going to root for Cleveland.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)