Author Topic: How long do you keep your vehicle?  (Read 128 times)

Blue Fish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
How long do you keep your vehicle?
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    Interesting chart. Shows the vehicles with highest percentage of owners that keep them for 15 years.

It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Steven

• View Profile
    Re: How long do you keep your vehicle?
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Not one U.S auto maker on the list.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
      • View Profile
      • Sleep Apnea: The Struggle To Sleep
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Is this just for a certain class, because I know of quite a few who keep Ford and Chevy trucks for a long, long time, and if they do get rid of the truck within 10 years, it's to buy another Ford or Chevy truck.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • As far as I know it all makes and all models. No specific class.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • As far as I know it all makes and all models. No specific class.

I would suspect those cars reflect that % because they're vehicles used, mostly, for family vehicles (maybe an exception of the Tacoma and Tundra) and they want something reliable and something that they have to put a minimum amount of effort into keeping on the road. Basically, the point A to point B driver.

When you're a car person, especially into American Muscle or Luxury, you're more likely to switch cars more frequently. Not because of reliability issues, but because you want more that the latest and greatest offer. More tech, more horsepower, more low end torque, etc...

I love Ford Mustangs - especially GTs and Cobras. I have a dream to own another Mustang GT, but once the mileage gets past 150k, I would sell it, trade it in, and get another one with much lower miles. I don't drive those cars for long term reliability, I drive them for the excitement in the drive. That's why when I owned my last GT, I also drove a Nissan Sentra - of which I owned for 10 years.

I figured it up that I own a vehicle approximately 6.2 years on average. 

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • I bought my Mazda Truck in 1999. It's so old the plastic split on the cruise control buttons. Someday I will have to put it out to pasture...but not today.
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • I drive it till the wheels fall off,like Clark Howard says,lol

Youngblood

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • I had a 87 Toyota Pickup and sold 2 yrs ago after my 2nd head gasket repair and it had 248,000 miles. buddy of mine is still driving it. I purchased another Toyota pickup, a 2011 this time. never had a brand new vehicle. I also still have my first ride that I purchased in 1981 and it is still tagged and Insured, 69 Ford Torino GT, formal roof.  I don't see me ever letting this one go, I have a son and a grandson and I suspect one of them will take over after I'm gone.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • I got a Chevy Suburban and developed some bad engine problems at about 160,000. I loved that vehicle, but the repairs were expensive and just weren't worth the cost. My Jeep just turned 140,000 and she's going strong. I fully plan to drive it as long as it drives and I'm definitely planning on getting 250,000 out of her.

Steven

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm with Riggins - as long it gets me where I'm going I'm happy. But if I win the lottery - I might get something new.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • I totally admit that if I have the money, meaning I actually have the money in hand and in full, to have a new vehicle, then I'll have a new vehicle. Just having the updated safety features and a little more piece of mind goes a long way. However, knowing I don't have said money in hand, then I'm perfectly fine continuing to drive what I currently have, which is a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L. It's a beautiful car and loaded (except for navi). It's a V6 has got a decent amount of HP (270). Never had a car with leather seats and a moon roof before. It's probably the closest I've ever come to having a "luxury" car, even though it's an Accord, not what you consider a luxury automobile.

That being said, I do want a full size truck at some point. Never realized how often I need a truck to haul stuff with, but would love to have a camper sometime, and of course, I don't have a proper vehicle to pull a small camper. Also would like to have a true 4X4. Even though we don't tend to get a lot of winter weather, when we do, our road has a very bad hill and it's tough to get up that hill in winter weather. And not only that, full size trucks, like the Silverado, tends to have a very smooth ride. Now, if I had a F-150 or a Silverado, that's probably a vehicle I'd keep for 15+ years.