Author Topic: The Strange Case of the Missile Attack on Hawaii  (Read 99 times)

Solon

• View Profile
The Strange Case of the Missile Attack on Hawaii
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    People thought they were about to die with only a moment's notice. How's that for a beautiful day in paradise? That experience will change the way some people think about their lives.

For some it was panic, a dash to a protective bathtub or hiding under manholes, contemplating what could be their last moments. For others, a resigned acceptance, thinking that staring at the beauty of Hawaii was not a bad way to go.

...It was a mistake by an employee at Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency (EMA) who "pushed the wrong button" during procedures that occur during the handover of a shift.

The message was reportedly sent despite an onscreen prompt requesting confirmation.

Mobile phone users received the message at 08:07 (18:07 GMT): "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill."

The alert was corrected by email 18 minutes later but there was no follow-up mobile text for 38 minutes, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports.

The alert system is in place because of the potential proximity of Hawaii to North Korean missiles.

Hawaii missile false alarm triggers shock, blame and apologies
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42680070
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
    Re: The Strange Case of the Missile Attack on Hawaii
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • And it was chaos and panic in the island state during this. Meanwhile, the President who could have cleared this up and calmed down the state, and the far west used his time to golf and white on twitter.

How this false alert happened is puzzling and I'm hoping whomever's fault it was will soon be relieved or moved to a different post of less importance.
    "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    Re: The Strange Case of the Missile Attack on Hawaii
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Quite frankly, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more than it has.

Did anyone see 60 Minutes last night? If you didn't take a look at this and tell me if it doesn't give you pause - as it did me:

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/element-of-truth/
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:01:16 PM by Blue Fish »
    It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)