Main Boards > General Discussion

Curing Sleep Apnea?

(1/5) > >>

Skinsguy:
This is a re-post from the old board. I wrote an article a few weeks ago about my struggles with sleep apnea. For those of you who also suffer from it or know someone who does, you should take time to read my article. Keep in mind, I'm not a professional, articulate writer, so there might be some grammar errors as I didn't really proof read for very long. Please take time to read it and comment on the page if you like.

https://hubpages.com/health/Curing-Sleep-Apnea

So, what's happening today is that I'm seeing a surgeon about having a very invasive surgery performed on my jaws called maxilla-mandibular advancement. In layman's terms, they break your jaws, upper and lower, install spacers, and move the jaws forward. This creates a larger airway and essentially reduces sleep apnea to where you no longer need a CPAP at night. I thought my insurance had approved this surgery, but the lady at the orthodontist office misspoke (I had asked her twice if it was the surgery that insurance had approved and she said yes) and insurance has not approved my surgery as of yet. Today, I am going for consultation with an oral surgeon and see what he says. My prayer is that they're able to get the surgery approved. Even though I have a documented medical disability that would benefit from the surgery, insurance will often treat this surgery as cosmetic and deny payment. The cosmetic benefits are great, and I would probably look younger as well. And I'll admit, I would love this because who wouldn't want to look better? However, my number one reason for doing this surgery is medical, and to end my struggles with sleep apnea.

Coincidentally, the other night, I was so tired that I fell asleep and forgot to put my C-PAP on. Now, keep in mind, I was sleeping on my side, so you would think that should've been OK. However, I woke up around 5am that morning, almost in a panic. My heart was racing, I was sweaty, so I did what any guy who wakes up does - I go to the bathroom, lol! While I'm standing in the bathroom, my heart continues to pound, I start to get light headed, and I could tell I was about ready to pass out. I quickly got back in bed, put my CPAP on, and dosed off to sleep. Apparently, I still wound up having an apnea attack even though I was sleeping on my side. Apparently I had stopped breathing for several minutes, and who knows if I was about ready to have a heart attack or what was going on. So, the CPAP definitely helps to keep me alive, but I struggle with it and I still can't sleep on my back even using CPAP. I still feel like my air passage gets cut off. And, on top of all of this, I've lost weight, so it's almost as if my apnea is getting worse.

Blue Fish:
Thanks for the repost!

Skinsguy:
Just an update. I met with the surgeon today. My wife went with me. She had a lot of questions to ask. The cliff notes version of this story is, I really want to go through with the surgery. Both my wife and myself feel very good about it and the doctor explained everything in detail to us. The only issue is going to be the cost. It's around $18k - money up front! Insurance is a tough nut to crack when it comes to paying for this surgery, so we're not expecting surgery to pay much if they do. The lady told us that be prepared for insurance to pay a lot less than what the out of pocket is going to be. So, my wife and I are trying to figure out how this surgery gets paid. Yeah, we don't have $18k laying around. trust me, if we did, I would've already had the surgery by now! So, anyway, that's where we're at. So, we're waiting to see if we get pleasantly surprised by insurance or if we get the cold water thrown in our faces. My wife knows how much this surgery means to me, and it is a medical necessity. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Blue Fish:
Wow. That would knock me out of it from the start. Best to you Skinsguy. Keep us posted.

Skinsguy:

--- Quote from: Blue Fish on December 15, 2017, 12:34:07 AM ---Wow. That would knock me out of it from the start. Best to you Skinsguy. Keep us posted.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Even if insurance says they would cover it, we'd still have to have $18k to give them up front, so we'd probably have to take out a care credit to cover the initial cost and then get reimbursed on the back end. Insurance is weird with this stuff. For some people, it covers it completely. For others, nothing at all. And for most, it will cover some but the bare minimum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version