Author Topic: Trump and His Thieves Gut Net Neutrality  (Read 327 times)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
Re: Trump and His Thieves Gut Net Neutrality
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    When i think of utilities, all of them are monopolies. There is no competition. Phone lines, water, sewer, gas, power, and garbage pick-up all have a monopoly on the market. I'm not going to list cable TV or Internet because there are now multiple ways to get the end result now because of growth, opportunity, and innovation. These key components are strangled out of public utilities and leaves us with these inefficient dinosaurs we have now.

Some of  those are, and should be, public service provided by your taxes. Speaking specifically with water service, water quality, sewage, etc.

Trash pickup and recycling has been a public domain but in a lot of areas who have thriving competition. On my rural road we have 3 different trash and recycling companies. And speaking of which, we're about to change that one at our house if they dump half of our garbage on the road next friday pickup!

In the present day, broadband access needs to be available to everyone everywhere. Especially us in rural America. Without it we are all destined to failure and poverty, industry, and access to a better life will be a fleeting memory of "the good ole days"!

As far as water and government, all I have to say is Detroit. If it was a private company, that wouldn't have happened.

I 100% agree that internet access in America should be available anywhere. I'm interested in how you think we achieve that. Where do we not have that now?

LpMv2407

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 03:54:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • Over the next 5-10 years, this won't matter anyway. We will all get our internet from radio waves in an ultra high speed form from MANY providers that are in the wireless industry. Verizon is already testing 5G in several markets and that will blow cable and DSL out of the water.

and boom goes the dynamite.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-at-t-5g/att-to-launch-5g-in-u-s-by-late-2018-idUSKBN1ET0FX

Common Sense

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • It was Flint, Michigan and thanks to some Hokies they found the problem's source, and have worked to clean that issue up while laying out plans to prevent such events happening elsewhere in the country.

Go Hokies! Even though I wasn't interested (or smart enough) to get my major in science and engineering.
    "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

LpMv2407

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • It was Flint, Michigan and thanks to some Hokies they found the problem's source, and have worked to clean that issue up while laying out plans to prevent such events happening elsewhere in the country.

Go Hokies! Even though I wasn't interested (or smart enough) to get my major in science and engineering.

Thanks for keeping me honest

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Net neutrality is getting support from three sources. Several states are developing legislation that would essentially require service providers to maintain the features associated with the term. At the same time, Senate Democrats claim to have enough votes to bring the issue to the floor of the Senate where it could pass. That would set up a clash with the House and the president who are unlikely to support it. Chuck Schumer, Senate Democratic leader, said Democrats would make it an issue in the 2018 Congressional campaign. Finally, major tech companies are joining the fight. Google, Netflix, and Facebook are among those who promise to join lawsuits against the FCC.

The FCC claims that its regulations supersede state law, but that has not been the case in at least one previous Supreme Court ruling.

The push back by itself may be enough to maintain the existing rules in spite of the success of Comcast, et al., in buying off Trump's FCC.

Lawmakers in at least six states, including California and New York, have introduced bills in recent weeks that would forbid internet providers to block or slow down sites or online services. Legislators in several other states, including North Carolina and Illinois, are weighing similar action.

They are responding to the Federal Communications Commission’s vote last month to end regulations that barred internet service providers from creating slow and fast lanes for different sites and services. The new policy will go into effect in the coming weeks.

...“The internet is the ultimate form of interstate commerce, which is clearly only within the authority of the F.C.C.,” said Bret Swanson, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute who specializes in telecommunications policy.

But the state lawmakers argue that they have an obligation to protect consumers with net neutrality rules and that local governments can approve or deny requests by telecommunications providers to operate in their states. They also argue that it is unclear if the Federal Communications Commission can declare a blanket pre-emption of states, something they say Congress would have to do. In 2016, a federal court ruled against the commission’s effort to pre-empt state laws related to municipal broadband networks.

...On Tuesday, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, announced that he had enough support to force a vote on a congressional resolution to bring back the rules. He gained an important Republican supporter, Senator Susan Collins of Maine, who said she would vote in favor of it.

...Last week, a lobbying group for big technology companies including Facebook, Google and Netflix announced that it planned to join the lawsuits, giving the opposition substantial new resources. More than a dozen state attorneys general have also announced plans to sue the commission.

States Push Back After Net Neutrality Repeal
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/technology/net-neutrality-states.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken