Author Topic: Off Track Betting Coming back to Henry County  (Read 235 times)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
Off Track Betting Coming back to Henry County
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
      • View Profile
      • Sleep Apnea: The Struggle To Sleep

LpMv2407

• View Profile
    Re: Off Track Betting Coming back to Henry County
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Dutch Inn...?

http://www.vabred.org/application-for-a-fourth-otb-approved-by-the-virginia-racing-commission-at-its-tuesday-meeting/

Didn't Henry County already have this before? How did that turn out?

it turned out pretty great actually. the reason it closed was the state and the organization didn't renew their agreement. if there are no races, there is no reason to have an OTB. this is also a different group i understand than colonial downs.

lazebone

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • Dutch Inn...?

http://www.vabred.org/application-for-a-fourth-otb-approved-by-the-virginia-racing-commission-at-its-tuesday-meeting/

it turned out pretty great actually. the reason it closed was the state and the organization didn't renew their agreement. if there are no races, there is no reason to have an OTB. this is also a different group i understand than colonial downs.

Ummmm ... curious as to what evidence you have for it being "pretty great?"

My personal experience was that when Colonial Downs opened, it was absolutely packed. Elbow to elbow, people drank, ate, and bet on horses, having a great time and hoping for a quick lick (big score) and a lucky night. However, the uniqueness of the experience wore off as with most things, especially considering the betting on horses is a mostly losing venture for the majority of players.

Within a year the OBT was inhabited by day only by a few well versed gamblers who may or may not have been making a profit. By night it got a little busier, but still, you couldn't have filled the tables at the D&A Cafe with the "crowd" at Colonial Downs. Regardless of the agreement not being renewed, Colonial Downs had way too much overhead for what little revenue they brought in, and the regulars that I talked to sensed that it couldn't go on, and were surprised to lasted as long as it did.

Dutch Inn may have a little better situation at hand as they have a pretty regular crowd that will be going "to the Dutch" and have the added bonus of playing the horsies. As opposed to the Colonial Downs model of going to bet on the horse races and teh added bonus of being able to drink while you are there.

All this to say, betting on horses is an extremely difficult task and one that requires supreme knowledge of the sport, the horses, the jockeys, conditions, etc. if one plans to win beyond a run of luck.

Probably still better odds than playing the lottery though : )

LpMv2407

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dutch Inn...?

Ummmm ... curious as to what evidence you have for it being "pretty great?"

My personal experience was that when Colonial Downs opened, it was absolutely packed. Elbow to elbow, people drank, ate, and bet on horses, having a great time and hoping for a quick lick (big score) and a lucky night. However, the uniqueness of the experience wore off as with most things, especially considering the betting on horses is a mostly losing venture for the majority of players.

Within a year the OBT was inhabited by day only by a few well versed gamblers who may or may not have been making a profit. By night it got a little busier, but still, you couldn't have filled the tables at the D&A Cafe with the "crowd" at Colonial Downs. Regardless of the agreement not being renewed, Colonial Downs had way too much overhead for what little revenue they brought in, and the regulars that I talked to sensed that it couldn't go on, and were surprised to lasted as long as it did.

Dutch Inn may have a little better situation at hand as they have a pretty regular crowd that will be going "to the Dutch" and have the added bonus of playing the horsies. As opposed to the Colonial Downs model of going to bet on the horse races and teh added bonus of being able to drink while you are there.

All this to say, betting on horses is an extremely difficult task and one that requires supreme knowledge of the sport, the horses, the jockeys, conditions, etc. if one plans to win beyond a run of luck.

Probably still better odds than playing the lottery though : )

my evidence is i have a close friend who worked for the association up to a year after the the OTBs closed. I have no reason to believe the local OTB would have closed if the promotor and the horseman's association could reach an agreement on the number of events to be held annually at the colonial downs track. The promotor wanted less events with bigger purses that attracted bigger names and crowds. The horse owners don't get paid unless the horses race, so they wanted more events.

The bar at dutch inn is lucky to still be open. Absolutely no one goes so there are no regulars. Ever since the new ownership/management took over about a year ago, there has been little to no live music and what music they have if any is due to a phone plugged in playing music instead of a DJ. It's a shame because i have so many good memories of that place from even just a few years ago. It used to be the party place of the year the night before thanksgiving with a line of people waiting to get in all the way down the stairs at 10 pm. I bet there wasn't one person other than the bartender there this year. Everyone  that i know was at jax or mags.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
      • View Profile
      • Sleep Apnea: The Struggle To Sleep
    « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Dutch Inn...?

I don't know if I would call it pretty great. I had a friend who would frequent CD and he kept telling me that the place looked more and more like a ghost town each time he went. I think he went to play cards or something, don't think he was even betting on horse racing, though.