Author Topic: Roy Moore Accused of Child Molestation  (Read 406 times)

Steven

• View Profile
Re: Roy Moore Accused of Child Molestation
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 06:34:01 AM »
If Moore is guilty - then punish him accordingly. My question to Solon is simply this - Why do you rake Moore over the coals and not do the same for Weinstein?  I say it's because of your liberal bias. And because you don't hold liberal democrats to any type of moral standards. As I've said before - if Moore is guilty - he deserves what he gets - but I do not support your double standard of attacking one side while barely discussing the crimes of the other. Since I am an independent voter I see the protectionism of the left and the right for their own politicians and their donors.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »
Well, no one said to take it easy on Harvey Weinstein. Lock his ass up. But, he's not an elected official and he's not running (as the heavy favorite) to be a U.S. Senator.

And if the accusations turn out to be correct then slam the bars hard, disbar him from the state of Alabama, and let him watch CSPAN and Congress in the pen!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
I agree!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »

You are are a liar Steven. I condemned Weinstein. I NEVER defended him. Plus, you seem clueless about this fact: This entire section of Martinsville Chat is about POLITICS.  Moore is running for the US Senate. Weinstein is not, and never was, a politician. He is just a horrible Hollywood creep who is justifiably suffering consequences for his actions. There are a bunch of those types. Moore could very easily sit in the US Senate voting on the laws of the nation. Do you get the difference? Common Sense already explained it to you, but, you ignored him. This is your second lesson.

Added to that mistake, you are now acting the hypocrite by defending Moore. Beginning a new thread citing a fake news site to claim the charges are unraveling puts the lie to your claim to moral standards. Did you actually read that trash? You even have the temerity to claim that he must be convicted in a court of law when you know that will never happen and did not happen in the Weinstein or Clinton cases you cited.

Your pretense to independence is a farce. We all know where you stand. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:39:39 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
The Republican party is actively seeking ways to derail Moore without losing the Senate seat to a Democrat, although the Senate campaign committee has already terminated any funding for his campaign. Among the possibilities is the delay of the election to permit his removal from the ballot. The Alabama governor may be open to that since she took office as a result of a previous moral scandal. Another is the refusal to seat him if the election goes forward. To his credit, Mitch McConnell felt compelled to take such an action once before in the Packwood case. Other efforts include disavowing him before the election and calling for a write-in coupled with a pre-vote announcement that he will not be seated. The Alabama state party continues to back him, but the Congressional delegation appears to be holding back to see how it goes. Republicans, like McConnell, think the situation would be quickly resolved if Trump would call on him to step down, but that remains problematic given the president's own history.

It appears that Senate Republicans, including the leadership, are determined to see that Moore never serves in the Senate and their energy is engaged in finding the best way to ensure that. 

The frenzy reflected not just the worry over the Senate seat once held by Jeff Sessions, now the attorney general, but also the broader danger of the Republican Party’s being associated with Mr. Moore.

...But if Mr. Moore wins, the party faces a potentially more untenable prospect: welcoming a child-molesting suspect into their ranks, a move that every Republican candidate would have to answer for. That raised memories of Todd Akin, the Republican Senate candidate who in 2012 said victims of “legitimate rape” rarely got pregnant, an assertion that Democrats hung around every candidate that year.

And Mr. Moore’s interview within the sympathetic confines of Mr. Hannity’s show, which was also an initial safe harbor for Mr. Akin in 2012, made Republicans in the capital only more determined that he had to step aside.

“I don’t remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother,” Mr. Moore told Mr. Hannity. Asked by Mr. Hannity if he ever dated teenagers when he was in his 30s, Mr. Moore equivocated, replying, “Not generally, no.”

Republicans Try to Block Moore’s Path as Candidate Denies Sexual Misconduct
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/politics/roy-moore-alabama-republican.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:48:24 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
Besides the 30 people cited by the Washington Post who verified that Moore dated teenagers when in his thirties, a man has also come forward today to add verification to the story of the woman Moore dated when she was 14 years old. He told his story to an Alabama journalist for an ABC affiliate. You can see the video on her twitter site.

Mike Ortiz says he dated Corfman (Roy Moore’s accuser) for 2 years around 2009.
He says during that time, she told him about a sexual encounter w/ Moore when she was young.

https://twitter.com/LaurenWalshTV

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:44:25 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »

You are are a liar Steven. I condemned Weinstein. I NEVER defended him. Plus, you seem clueless about this fact: This entire section of Martinsville Chat is about POLITICS.  Moore is running for the US Senate. Weinstein is not, and never was, a politician. He is just a horrible Hollywood creep who is justifiably suffering consequences for his actions. There are a bunch of those types. Moore could very easily sit in the US Senate voting on the laws of the nation. Do you get the difference? Common Sense already explained it to you, but, you ignored him. This is your second lesson.

Added to that mistake, you are now acting the hypocrite by defending Moore. Beginning a new thread citing a fake news site to claim the charges are unraveling puts the lie to your claim to moral standards. Did you actually read that trash? You even have the temerity to claim that he must be convicted in a court of law when you know that will never happen and did not happen in the Weinstein or Clinton cases you cited.

Yessir. Solon can stand on proven ground on his posts.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
Solon you are a liar. I said you took it easy on Weinstein and you did and you are raking Moore over the coals. I'm not defending Moore either - just stating the obvious. You always get angry when you are caught playing the double standard. Weinstein is a major donor to the democratic party therfore this topic is exactly where it should be. You prefer to convict people in the court of public opinion not a court of law.  Class Dismissed.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »

You are a fake news troll with gaps in knowledge and logic anyone can drive a truck through.
Not only did you DEFEND Moore with claims that he must be convicted in a court of law, but you posted a fake news site with trashy attacks on his accusers. That's clear for everyone to see.

You started the personal attacks. If choose to apologize this is your chance to correct your mistake. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:11:46 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
It seems clear at this point that the White House has determined that Roy Moore's conduct is not disqualifying.  White House officials in talk shows yesterday condemned the idea of molesting girls, but said they would give Moore time to defend himself as if the existing reports were insufficient in themselves. If he is elected, and in all probability he will be, Democrats will have an issue to take into the 2018 Congressional elections. In addition to the morals accusations, Moore has taken a variety of controversial positions that will gain national attention and create electoral problems for the party. Evidence of that is clear from the action of voters in last Tuesday's elections. The Democratic advantage among women and college educated men was dramatic when compared with the 2016 vote. If that continues, and Moore's prominence would tend to encourage that, the Dems may have an excellent opportunity to take control of the House.

In the off chance that Moore is defeated, a Democratic victory would whittle the Republican Senate advantage to one and put the Republican program in jeopardy there.

...is there any evidence, short of a Moore confession or video proof of Moore’s actions, that would be sufficient to persuade White House officials and Republicans to decide that Moore has been disqualified? The original Post story was based on interviews with more than 30 people who said they knew Moore over the decades, and the Post reported that none of the women knew each other or sought out the paper’s reporters. Corfman’s family stands by the story. If this isn’t enough, what would be?

Indeed, in light of these facts, a few Republicans (such as John McCain) have declared that the existence of the accusations is itself disqualifying, or (as Mitt Romney has explicitly put it) that they believe Moore’s accusers. This is an election, not a court of law, and they have concluded Moore should step aside — based on a judgment as to whose account is the more credible one. Making such a judgment is precisely the step that the White House and Republicans in the “if true” camp are trying to discourage.

Ignore the spin. Trump and the GOP have made a devil’s bargain with Roy Moore.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/11/13/ignore-the-spin-trump-and-gop-have-made-a-devils-bargain-with-roy-moore/?utm_term=.9d211182f261
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Solon - you make this so much fun! I love it!

1. I never said you defended Weinstein - I said you didn't rake him over the coals the way you did Moore.

2. If I am not mistaken - Bill is the one who brought up Weinstein in the politics section.

3. I never defended Moore. I said wait until the evidence is brought out. If he did this things I do not want him in
    any public office. Period.

4. In one way you are so much like Trump and  Bill O'Reilly - "If I don't agree with you  - then you are fake news."

5. I am an independent. You can't stand the fact that you can't blame me for the mistakes of the republican party.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
Mitch McConnell just took a politically risky, but courageous, step. He called for Roy Moore to withdraw from the Senate campaign. He has obviously made the determination that a short term advantage is not worth the grief of a morally compromised Senator with extreme views hanging around the party's neck in 2018. He, more than most members, would be called on to defend him, and Mitch cannot do it. Once before, in the Bob Packwood case, he made the tough decision after some deliberation. It's not just about the partisan politics, it's also about the institutional probity of the Senate as well.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Monday that Republican candidate Roy Moore should end his campaign for U.S. Senate in Alabama, following allegations that Moore initiated a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl when he was 32.

“I think he should step aside,” said McConnell. His comments marked the most definitive position he has taken on Moore’s candidacy since The Washington Post reported the allegations last Thursday.

Asked by a reporter if he believed the allegations, McConnell responded: “I believe the women, yes.”

McConnell calls on Roy Moore to end Senate campaign following accusations of sexual misconduct
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mcconnell-calls-on-roy-moore-to-end-senate-campaign-following-accusations-of-sexual-misconduct/2017/11/13/1ca48d56-c890-11e7-aa96-54417592cf72_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar&tidr=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.8811cdbd86b6
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
Mitch McConnell just took a politically risky, but courageous, step. He called for Roy Moore to withdraw from the Senate campaign. He has obviously made the determination that a short term advantage is not worth the grief of a morally compromised Senator with extreme views hanging around the party's neck in 2018. He, more than most members, would be called on to defend him, and Mitch cannot do it. Once before, in the Bob Packwood case, he made the tough decision after some deliberation. It's not just about the partisan politics, it's also about the institutional probity of the Senate as well.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Monday that Republican candidate Roy Moore should end his campaign for U.S. Senate in Alabama, following allegations that Moore initiated a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old girl when he was 32.

“I think he should step aside,” said McConnell. His comments marked the most definitive position he has taken on Moore’s candidacy since The Washington Post reported the allegations last Thursday.

Asked by a reporter if he believed the allegations, McConnell responded: “I believe the women, yes.”
Risky, of course.

But I applaud this opportunity to show his moral compass.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 09:27:59 AM »
Another morning, another accusation of molestation of Moore on a 16-year old.

What do you believe is his next step?

I believe Trump isn't saying anything because:
1. he doesn't want to lose the seat
2. he endorsed Luther Strange

BUT...he did endorse Luther and it is his thing to publicly bash someone who he didn't support no matter the fact that he'd be able to work with Donald on his big issues like taxes, finally building that wall, etc.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
Not only did the woman describe the encounter as an assault, but she stated that she would take a lie detector and testify in court. Moore denied ever knowing the woman, but she produced her high school yearbook from 1977 which he had signed in a rather provocative manner.

Those who hedge their criticism of Moore with an "if proven" have their bluff called.

I think it's also clear why these kids would be afraid of telling their story at the time. He was powerful and they were nobodies.

Fighting through tears, Nelson recounted how one night, Moore forced himself on her in his car behind the restaurant in Gadsden.

After she screamed at him to stop, she said, “Instead of stopping, he began squeezing my neck, attempting to force my head onto his crotch. I continued to struggle.”

“I thought he was going to rape me,” Nelson said.

“At some point he gave up,” she continued. “And he then looked at me, and he told me, he said, ‘You’re just a child, and I am the district attorney of Etowah County, and if you tell anyone about this, no one will ever believe you.”

Nelson said her neck was “black and blue and purple” for the following days. “I did not tell anyone about what would happen — I was scared,” she said. "I felt that if I told anyone, Mr. Moore would do something to me or my family.”

Woman accuses Moore of assaulting her when she was 16
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/13/new-roy-moore-accuser-beverly-young-nelson-244849

The other story out today is his creepy behavior at the mall.

Al.com a local Birmingham news outlet reports that it was common knowledge that Moore spent time in the Gadsen mall flirting with teen age girls. There is some indication that he was actually banned from the mall and several stores at different times.

...people who lived in Etowah County during that time have said Moore's flirting with and dating much younger women and girls was no secret.

"These stories have been going around this town for 30 years," said Blake Usry, who grew up in the area and lives in Gadsden. "Nobody could believe they hadn't come out yet."

Usry, a traveling nurse, said he knew several of the girls that Moore tried to flirt with.

"It's not a big secret in this town about Roy Moore," he said. "That's why it's sort of frustrating to watch" the public disbelieve the women who have come forward, he said.

...Wendy Miller told The Post that she was 14 and working as Santa's helper at the Gadsden Mall in 1977 when Moore first spoke with her and told her she looked pretty. Two years later, when she was 16, he asked her out on dates, although her mother wouldn't let her go.

Usry, who was a teenager at the time, remembers seeing Moore at the mall often.

"He would go and flirt with all the young girls," he said. "It'd seem like every Friday or Saturday night (you'd see him) walking around the mall, like the kids did."

Jason Nelms, who now lives in Tennessee but grew up in nearby Southside, was a regular at the mall when he was a teenager.

He recalled being told by a mall employee that they kept watch for an older guy who was known to pick up younger girls.

Nelms said he was told later by a concession worker at the mall that it was Roy Moore.

...Five other current and former Etowah County residents also spoke to AL.com with similar accounts.

"Him liking and dating young girls was never a secret in Gadsden when we were all in high school," said Sheryl Porter. "In our neighborhoods up by Noccalula Falls we heard it all the time. Even people at the courthouse know it was a well-known secret.

"It's just sad how these girls (who accused Moore) are getting hammered and called liars, especially Leigh (Corfman)."

On Monday, Beverly Young Nelson became the fifth accuser to come forward against Moore. During a press conference, she said she was a 16-year-old waitress at the Old Hickory House restaurant in Gadsden when Moore sexually assaulted her in his car. He was in his early 30s at the time, she said, and the district attorney of Etowah County.

Gadsden locals say Moore's predatory behavior at mall, restaurants not a secret
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gadsden_residents_say_moores_b.html

The people telling these stories are not liberal media types, they are Moore's hometown folks telling their recollections to an Alabama reporter. 

...H. L. Mencken