Author Topic: Roy Moore Accused of Child Molestation  (Read 411 times)

Solon

• View Profile
Roy Moore Accused of Child Molestation
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
Controversial Senate candidate Roy Moore has been accused of molesting several teenage girls. Four women have come forward with stories about their experiences with him. Moore  is already on the ballot and can't be replaced at this date under Alabama election laws. The current Senator, Luther Strange, is not eligible to run as an independent, but he could be a write-in candidate if Moore drops out of the race. That, of course, is a big IF. Moore has denied the charges and probably thinks such behavior is just fine for an upstanding Christian like himself. A number of Republican Senators have called for him to step down "if the allegations are true." Proving they are true is highly unlikely.

“If these allegations are found to be true, Roy Moore must drop out of the Alabama special Senate election,” National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Cory Gardner (R-CO) said in a statement.

“I just recently put out a statement saying if these allegations are true, Roy Moore should step aside for all the obvious reasons. Very disturbing allegations,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) told reporters outside the Senate chamber.

“I think if those allegations are true, he should step aside,” said Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) about the allegations against Moore, who is running to fill Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ former Senate seat.

Even Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Steve Daines (R-MT), two of the few sitting senators to endorse Moore, said he should step aside—but, like their colleagues, both added the caveat, “if these allegations are true.”

Definitively showing the veracity of the claims against Moore may be a tall order. The stories were relayed to the Post on the record—and supported, the Post says, by accounts from more than two dozen other sources. But Moore has flatly denied the allegations, raising the question of what standard would have to be met for Republican officials to call unequivocally for Moore’s withdrawal, short of a confession from Moore himself.

GOP Senators Run Away From Accused Child Molester Roy Moore
https://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-senators-run-away-from-accused-child-molester-roy-moore

The four women tell their stories in the Washington Post article.

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/woman-says-roy-moore-initiated-sexual-encounter-when-she-was-14-he-was-32/2017/11/09/1f495878-c293-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_moore-art-1pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.db299fed7204
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
Re: Roy Moore Accused of Child Molestation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
Well - let's wait and see what the facts are. Remember democrats denied every accusation towards Bill Clinton and some even defend his behavior now. If this is true about Moore  then I don't want him in public office. And also you saying Moore probably thinks such behavior is just fine for an upstanding Christian is based on your biased opinion of Moore and not reflective of Christian values. Do you think this type of behavior should be acceptable for non - Christians?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
Yes. Bill was morally vapid to do what he did and any party-members were wrong to support it.

And now some more Republicans are coming forward to ask Moore to drop out. I think this takes it to a different level seeing as how this guy was a Judge! How do you preserve the seat of justice in making these bad decisions; if they come out to be true?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
Well - let's wait and see what the facts are. Remember democrats denied every accusation towards Bill Clinton and some even defend his behavior now. If this is true about Moore  then I don't want him in public office. And also you saying Moore probably thinks such behavior is just fine for an upstanding Christian is based on your biased opinion of Moore and not reflective of Christian values. Do you think this type of behavior should be acceptable for non - Christians?

Maybe you are not aware of the fact that Moore has made a political career of proclaiming his devotion to Christianity. That makes his behavior even more heinous. Do you get that?
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »

Maybe you are not aware of the fact that Moore has made a political career of proclaiming his devotion to Christianity. That makes his behavior even more heinous. Do you get that?

So child molestation is less heinous is committed by a non-christian?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
Solon - you have already convicted the man without a trial. I'm glad you're not a judge,

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »

So child molestation is less heinous is committed by a non-christian?

Good point. It is indeed heinous by whomever commits it. It's just the hypocrisy that strikes me. You expect someone who makes a political career of defending the Ten Commandments to display a higher level of behavior than some depraved bum. Sorry, my mistake.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »
Solon - you have already convicted the man without a trial. I'm glad you're not a judge,

Yes, you can feel safe in Judge Roy Moore's courtroom. You're presumably not a teenage girl.
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Once again you are condemning someone based on rumors and accusations. I wouldn't feel safe in your courtroom because you convict a person before the trial.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
Jennifer Rubin has the right take on this:

If you are sickened by this — both the cowering from national Republicans and the repulsive defense of Moore coming from local Republicans — you must not be a GOP “tribalist,” the new brand of Republican who will justify any conduct, excuse any behavior, rationalize any rhetoric, adopt any conspiracy theory and deny any evidence to protect the “tribe.” It’s nothing short of moral nihilism, not to mention disqualifying from public service.

This has been a long time coming. Republicans put up with Trump calling Mexicans rapists, insulting a POW, making racist accusations against a federal judge, attacking Gold Star parents and boasting on tape about sexual abuse of women. They’ve chosen to ignore accounts from more than a dozen women who allege Trump engaged in sexually inappropriate behavior. Republicans  have condoned lying, bullying and willful ignorance by a man some of them don’t trust with the authority to launch nuclear war. So would they let a few allegations of sexual exploitation of children get in the way of a Senate seat? You’ve got their answer.

The appalling and entirely predictable GOP reaction to Roy Moore’s accusers
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/11/10/the-appalling-and-entirely-predictable-gop-reaction-to-roy-moores-accusers/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.347aecb3ee7c
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Accusations are not convictions. Solon - I'm somewhat disappointed in you today. I thought you were better than this. If the man is found guilty then he should face the consequences - not before.

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
If we go by your rules that accusations are convictable offences then the Clintons should have jailed in Arkansas decades ago.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
I don't recall your concern over Weinstein being convicted in a court of law, Steven. Bill Clinton was impeached, but not convicted either, so neither has met your definition of guilt.  If you read the Washington Post article in my first post, perhaps you will be less defensive about the accusations against Roy Moore.

If you won't listen to me, maybe you will heed Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney ✔@MittRomney
Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections. I believe Leigh Corfman. Her account is too serious to ignore. Moore is unfit for office and should step aside.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:14:34 PM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
As I said "accusations" - I never said Weinstein was guilty. He also has 57 accusers - Roy Moore only has one.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »
Moore is still denying that he did anything wrong, that he knew the 14 year old girl, or he molested anyone. But, he just can't help but hedge a little by admitting that he dated "young girls" after he came back from Vietnam, refusing to deny that he dated teenagers when in his thirties, and, admits that he actually knew several of the girls.

It's interesting how the reporters picked up the story and developed it. Apparently, Moore's behavior was not a secret in Alabama. 

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore declined Friday to rule out that he may have dated girls in their late teens when he was in his 30s, though he said he did not remember any such encounters and described such behavior as inappropriate.

“If I did, I’m not going to dispute these things, but I don’t remember anything like that,” Moore said on the Sean Hannity radio program, when asked if he dated 17- or 18-year-old girls at the time.

When pressed by Hannity, Moore said that he knew several of the other women who spoke to The Washington Post, which published the allegations Thursday, but did not "remember going out on dates." He admitted taking "young girls" out after returning to America following his service in Vietnam...

...None of the women who alleged teenage relationships with Moore sought out The Post. While reporting a story in Alabama about supporters of Moore’s Senate campaign, a Post reporter heard that Moore allegedly had sought relationships with teenage girls.

Over the ensuing three weeks, two Post reporters contacted and interviewed the four women. All were initially reluctant to speak publicly but chose to do so after multiple interviews, saying they thought it was important for people to know about their interactions with Moore. The women say they don’t know one another.

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore denies sexual misconduct in radio interview with Sean Hannity
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/national-republican-senatorial-committee-ends-joint-fundraising-agreement-with-roy-moore-campaign/2017/11/10/f393278c-c62e-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_alabama-215p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.04314f299872

...the National Republican Senatorial Committee pulled out of a joint committee it had set up with Moore, depriving him of a fundraising vehicle for the final weeks of the campaign. But current and former national party leaders admitted that they have little power to actually force Moore from the race. The election is Dec. 12.

Senate candidate Roy Moore does not rule out that he may have dated teen girls when he was in his 30s
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/national-republican-senatorial-committee-ends-joint-fundraising-agreement-with-roy-moore-campaign/2017/11/10/f393278c-c62e-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_alabama-215p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.8fc3ac64ba33
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:22:58 PM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken