Author Topic: Metal Appreciation  (Read 194 times)

Steven

• View Profile
Metal Appreciation
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Here's another Tony Iommi album I somehow missed.

Steven

• View Profile
Re: Metal Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
Black Sabbath demo from 1969

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
Black Sabbath demo from 1969

Thats pretty sick right there- and from there came the best genre of rock music.

I'll forgive Ozzy for that MTV reality show haha!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
LOL! Ozzy on legal meds - who would have thought that would be a hit show?

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
You guys heard any of the Sabbath vinyl re-issues by Rhino? I have the 1st 4 albums and they are some of the best sounding pressings I own.

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:11:28 AM »
I bet Volume 4 sounds like thunder!

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »
You guys heard any of the Sabbath vinyl re-issues by Rhino? I have the 1st 4 albums and they are some of the best sounding pressings I own.

Are they remastered from the original analog masters?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »

Yes they are!

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »

Yes they are!

That's awesome! I think some artists are trying to go back to analog tape for their mastering. Just seems to change (for the better) the overall sound of the music.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »

Yes they are!

That's awesome! I think some artists are trying to go back to analog tape for their mastering. Just seems to change (for the better) the overall sound of the music.

Count me in to be a supporter of this movement!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
This might sound like I'm telling my age but for some reason vinyl had more of a feeling to it.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
This might sound like I'm telling my age but for some reason vinyl had more of a feeling to it.

Vinyl seems to have a bit more depth and warmth to its sound. I strictly give analog, through and through, credit for that. I compared Heart's 1985 album from vinyl to CD. The vinyl just seemed to have the sound I remember  hearing on the radio. This warm, rich sound of that album on record drew me in to sit back and listen to the entire album in one sitting. Listening to it on CD, yes, completely cleaned up. No background noise, crystal clear...um...clarity. But, there was a coldness to the sound. The music also seemed quieter, but I kind of blame that on whatever mechanism was used for the analog to digital transfer. In short, while the CD sounded great, and I enjoyed listening to the CDs in the beginning. Back in the day, I listened to everything on cassette tape. My dad had a horrible record player. The needle had long needed replacing, and the speakers were horrible. I think he bought it back in the 60's, and it was pretty old when us boys started playing around with it. Our records sounded down right terrible on it. Of course, most of our records were 45's, which generally tend to not be as good quality as the full album record. But anyway, we never had a great sounding record player, so us boys always bought cassettes and listened to our stuff on boomboxes. The commercial cassettes were so poor in sound quality that I could wear one out in the matter of a week. I remember having Journey's Frontiers album on cassette, and I wore out the side with Separate Ways on it to the point where you heard more background noise than you did the actual music. So, when I bought their Greatest Hits on CD and listened to that song, I was blown away by how great it sounded. But, as years went by and I finally invested in a decent turntable, I realized how much I had missed from listening to music on cassette all of those years. Heck, I realized how much better, how much more alive the music sounded on vinyl than CD.

Right now, I'm waiting to purchase some better speakers and a cartridge upgrade for my turntable before I start playing my records again. Plus, right now, if I try to play records, my kid will destroy them!

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Does anyone remember the first record they bought? My first record was the 45 single of Indian Reservation by Paul Revere and the Raiders!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 02:21:18 PM »
The first record I bought (well, cassette) was Alice in Chain's "Dirt".