Author Topic: Facebook Folks?  (Read 331 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Facebook Folks?
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »
I've got some questions, but this may be the wrong crowd, I don't know.

For starters... How many of our martinsvillechat faithful are facebook users? Yay or nay?
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook Folks?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:43:07 AM »
Yay

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Yay
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
yea

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
yup

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »
Maybe a better question was who doesn't use FB? lol

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Taking this a bit further, I DO NOT get any news from Facebook except how or what acquaintances and friends are doing. Apparently, there are people who use it as a major news source, and they are not all Americans.

For example:

To many, the alarming messages on social media – Iraqis tend to get most of their news from Facebook – were worrying enough. Genuine pictures, which would probably have been enough to anger, were soon joined by even more incendiary fake ones.

“On Thursday we were kept on full alert and we were told there would be military movements but they didn’t tell us if these would be because of the Islamic State or any other party,” Hayman Kaka, a soldier with the 9th brigade of the Iraqi Kurdish military stationed in the Daquq area, told NIQASH. “But when I opened Facebook I saw that everybody was writing that the militias had occupied Kirkuk and that a bloody war was about to break out.”

Kaka, a computer studies graduate who joined the military, says he read that where he was on the front line, there was fighting. But there was nothing at all going on, Kaka says. 

“On Facebook, everybody said there was fighting in Albu Mohammad [a village about 30 kilometres south of Kirkuk] and that the peshmerga have withdrawn,” Kaka complains. “But I was there and there was no fighting. Unfortunately, social media gave a lot of the wrong information.”

Accusations, Insults, War Mongering:
What Happened Between The Kurdish + Iraqis In Kirkuk

http://www.niqash.org/en/articles/security/5755/%E2%80%98I-Was-At-The-Front-In-Kirkuk-Nothing-Happened%E2%80%99.htm

I was reading info on the Lawfare website regarding the Kirkuk operation when I ran across this source providing a description of the Iraqi army's occupation of Kirkuk city and the region around it. Facebook posted false information about the events surrounding the capture of Kirkuk which were discredited by the reports of peshmerga forces on the ground, but that apparently doesn't change their reliance on it as THE major source of news. OMG!
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
I'm a person who gets a majority of my news from Facebook.  Let's not fool ourselves though. Facebook isn't primarily a news source,  rather it's a vehicle that news from other sources travels.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 12:20:27 AM »
Well, part of the purpose of this was to pick a topic I thought all participating members would contribute. Guess that's 5. Our board shows 61 registered.

My first question which you guys have sort of begun... is name the top 3 things you use Facebook for, or find it of value to you. In order of importance. I'll start.

1) Keep up with family (this was my original reason for signing up... kids moved away from home and they were posting on Facebook. They no longer use facebook or anything else I can tell. It's as if social media is old to them now)

2) Keep my media goings on in front of as many eyes as possible (self-promotion)

3) Try to keep a finger on the pulse of what's going on in the community (back in the day it was the "dirt on the street").

Your turn...

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
1) keep up with trending news - customize my news sources and content to my specific interests

2) get local news/info

3) means to communicate with someone i know that i may not have their email or phone

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »
1.  Family and friends- keep up with them, communicate, etc. 

2.  Local news- lots of stuff from local media comes up in my feed, then there's the ever important "does anyone know why all the cops are in Collinsville" type of thread that usually gives some local info. 

3.  Events- especially local events.  If I'm looking for something to do, I can usually find an event locally that is of interest. 

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:55:29 PM »
Good stuff... Come on guys... where's the rest of the panel? Chime in please. Newcomers feel free to join in anytime.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
I use Facebook. It's a love-hate relationship. However, it's become ingrained in my daily habits; like reading the morning newspaper. I don't believe everything I read on Facebook, but it's entertaining while I'm trying to wake up in the morning.

The only news I really feel is legit on Facebook is news from local media sites or the national media sites we're all familiar with: FOX News, CNN, etc.. Whenever I see an article from a politically biased web address or one I don't recognize, I usually chalk it up as fake news until I see the same report on a familiar news site.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Enderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
I have a Facebook account, but I only use it occasionally to look at restaurants and businesses for info like menus and hours.  I go months sometimes without logging in.

I have little interest in hearing about someone's trip to the mall or seeing a photo of what they had for lunch.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »
I only use FB to keep up with family and friends,music and sports and my hobbies.