Author Topic: Fair and Balanced - For Real  (Read 382 times)

Solon

• View Profile
Re: Fair and Balanced - For Real
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
]

I just want a news outlet, be it local or national, that just reports the news. No spin, no leaning one way or the other, just information. Allow the viewers/listeners to form their own opinions based on the raw information. Just like I want the local news to report the local news. Why was Bryan Boulevard closed? Tell me about the fight that broke out at this local night club. Tell me about the local weather, local sports. And sports is another sore subject. I want sport news to report on sport news. No political news. Only news about sports. OK NFL players are protesting. That's fine if the protest. Tell me about it on the evening news, but if I tune into FOX Sports or ESPN, I just want news about the games, the matches, the tour championships. I don't care about politics crossing over into the sporting news.

Honestly, so much political opinion gets thrown around on the news today, that it further divides our nation. 90% of the people base their opinions on new sources that lean one way or the other, and they hold to those news stories as fact. Because, if the news reported it, it must be true, right?

The BBC really comes closest to providing what you describe on an international basis, IMHO. You can get world news twice a day as a podcast, but you will hear more about elections in Kenya and disputes in South Ossetia than most people probably care to.

It may be too soon to judge, but AXIOS is a new source that claims to provide background and fundamental, non-political news. The founders are old line reporters who focus on basics. It's not TV, but there is a website and I get a morning in box from Mike Allen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:33:07 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
Bill, was it 2008? I watched that segment with Kelly strolling back to visit the data guys because Karl Rove rejected the notion that they were projecting an Obama victory. I thought it was 2012, but it all runs together when you get to be as old as I am.

Yep. That was the one. 2012. It obviously all runs together in my mind!  :-*
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
]

I just want a news outlet, be it local or national, that just reports the news. No spin, no leaning one way or the other, just information. Allow the viewers/listeners to form their own opinions based on the raw information. Just like I want the local news to report the local news. Why was Bryan Boulevard closed? Tell me about the fight that broke out at this local night club. Tell me about the local weather, local sports. And sports is another sore subject. I want sport news to report on sport news. No political news. Only news about sports. OK NFL players are protesting. That's fine if the protest. Tell me about it on the evening news, but if I tune into FOX Sports or ESPN, I just want news about the games, the matches, the tour championships. I don't care about politics crossing over into the sporting news.

Honestly, so much political opinion gets thrown around on the news today, that it further divides our nation. 90% of the people base their opinions on new sources that lean one way or the other, and they hold to those news stories as fact. Because, if the news reported it, it must be true, right?

The BBC really comes closest to providing what you describe on an international basis, IMHO. You can get world news twice a day as a podcast, but you will hear more about elections in Kenya and disputes in South Ossetia than most people probably care to.

It may be too soon to judge, but AXIOS is a new source that claims to provide background and fundamental, non-political news. The founders are old line reporters who focus on basics. It's not TV, but there is a website and I get a morning in box from Mike Allen.

Thank you Solon. I, too, will check out BBC then. I'll also check out AXIOS.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

I really would like to know what you and Bill think about the BBC and AXIOS or any other news source you may consider more objective. I would like to preserve a mental compartment where the partisanship is sealed off and I can acknowledge the validity of news contrary to my predilections. For example, if Bill found the PBS election coverage so far to the left, my compartment has shrunk to a synapse. It could be that David Brooks, normally the Republican voice, was as anti-Trump as Mark Shields, the Democratic voice, but I don't know if that can account for it.   
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
Solon and Bill-

I'm giving BBC a try and am starting to read more from their journalist perspective rather than seeing their headlines for the past years.

I do like their perspective, as an outsider, and focused on the stories in and of itself. Of what I've read this morning they seem to dig a bit deeper into some of the stories, instead of just headline grabbers.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »

I really would like to know what you and Bill think about the BBC and AXIOS or any other news source you may consider more objective. I would like to preserve a mental compartment where the partisanship is sealed off and I can acknowledge the validity of news contrary to my predilections. For example, if Bill found the PBS election coverage so far to the left, my compartment has shrunk to a synapse. It could be that David Brooks, normally the Republican voice, was as anti-Trump as Mark Shields, the Democratic voice, but I don't know if that can account for it.

I briefly looked at BBC news this morning. It will take me just a little while to determine my opinions on it. I will also take a look at AXIOS. Honestly, there's a great deal of us Americans who just want the facts, no spin either way. More a less, a logical, unemotional approach to news. I guess it's my analytical thinking kicking in. I look at things through the eyes of flow charts. Sure, I have certain beliefs and opinions that will probably sway me a certain way on some issues - I am human after all, but I don't want to be swayed by someone else's opinion, because what if that person is wrong? I would have put all my eggs in that basket and will be as guilty as being partisan as those I accuse.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
I watched some of Joe Scarborough this morning. It was very good until Mika come on and frowned up the place.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
I'm guessing she was either:
1. frowning
2. whining
3. constantly looking like she smelled something that started rotting 4 days ago.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
You saw the same show!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
The so-called wire services, Reuters, United Press International (UPI) and Associated Press (AP), provide basic news without editorial comment that is spread across many newspapers and TV programs. At least I assume that is still true. Bill could tell us if AP or UPI is a source for him. All three have web sites now. I prefer Reuters or UPI. I think they are both well-organized. They have feeds of all kinds; Twitter, podcasts, etc. I get the Reuters podcast, but it has a lot of international news using third world readers I have difficulty understanding. If you get news alerts on your phone or iPod/iPad, they are a short version of what you get from Reuters. Typically a Reuters story will last 4 or 5 minutes.

This is stretching the reach of the thread, however. Bill solicited an opinion about TV news. It may be that reliable, non-partisan, basic, non-fake news is best found at these sites.
...H. L. Mencken