Author Topic: Fair and Balanced - For Real  (Read 474 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Fair and Balanced - For Real
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »
So... I suppose there is no truly "fair and balanced" news network on TV, but who do you think comes the closest?
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Steven

• View Profile
Re: Fair and Balanced - For Real
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
I think both sides are basically propaganda outlets for their political agendas. They don't report the news as news - they report  their opinions of the news. I see the left wing stations as promoting anti-christian values - abortion and gay marriage for example - as well as supporting other issues I personally don't agree with-no borders - sanctuary cities and anti-police.  They support a double standard. Look at the case of Dylan Roof. A white kid goes into a black church killing many people and it's all over the news for weeks. A black man goes into a white church and kills many people and I can't recall the man's name. It did not receive the same kind of coverage. A double standard. I'll let others on this forum attack Fox News. They seem to be well trained in doing that. But I don't watch Fox News that much either. CNN has already been proven to be fake news so I never watch them. Also I think Fox is the only station that stands up for the national anthem and the flag.   

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:27:41 AM »
On the major networks, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and BBC you can still get reasonably accurate straight news about non-political subjects. When politics enters, the picture changes significantly.

The traditional networks are still reasonably reliable, but they have serious time limits that lead to oversimplification.

CNN has been a particular target of Trump, but, ironically it gave him an incredible amount of free coverage during the primary and campaign seasons. It vastly exceeded that given to other Republican nominees. The evening shows usually have panels that include Trump supporters as well as critics. I suppose Trump attacks them because they allow his critics to speak without being shouted down. Because some of the hosts are critical, Trump can't take it.

Fox is highly partisan in the evenings. Hannity is probably paid by Trump. No one can be that big of a suckup for free. Still, Chris Wallace is a straight shooter. I listen to a podcast of his Sunday show each week. I turn to Tucker Carlson for a laugh sometimes. When a guest is speaking, he has this dumbfounded look on his face that cracks me up.

MSNBC is supposedly as partisan as Fox. There is one huge difference. They spend a lot of time building a case with facts which they then use to solicit opinions critical of the Republicans. The facts have a well-known liberal bias. LOL. After all, Rachel Maddow keeps getting these Emmys.

PBS always has a respectful presentation of both sides of an issue. Since they have non-whites in important positions, Republicans can never take their objectivity seriously. (BTW, Gwen Ifill died last year for those who didn't know.)

I always go to the BBC first on the internet and you can get a TV broadcast on PBS at 5:30 or an hour of world news on Xfinity channel 1117. The organization is obviously not invested in any US political party and you can get a bland, colorless, fact-based statement about events in the US or the rest of the world. There is little editorializing in their US news, but I can't imagine they have any regard for a crass bugger like Trump.

My vote is for PBS/BBC.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:38:25 AM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:34:14 AM »
I totally disagree with you about MSNBC,CNN and all of the major networks. I don't watch PBS or BBC enough to have an opinion. Brain Williams is a proven liar and CNN is fake news. How much of CNN's coverage about Trump during the election was positive? 1 percent maybe 2? It's not very impressive for a liberal leftist [Maddow] to receive an award from a liberal leftist organization. Saying Hannity is probably being paid by Trump is the same as me saying as Chris Matthews is being paid by the DNC.  That look on Tucker Carlson's face could be because some of his liberal guests make no sense at all. The fact that you mention PBS having non-whites in important positions means you must look at the news from a racial standpoint. A person race does not change the facts.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
Cable news is anchors report and display their opinions. Gets them viewers and bigger guests, like former and current Congressmen, to come on.

I've been a fan of "Morning Joe" since he had "Scarborough Country". Mika is an unabashed liberal of opinion. Joe is a moderate, yet old school fiscal conservative. He takes Trump to task and then the overweight suit in the White House declares war on him so displays are as what would suspect.

But during the primary he was a Jeb Bush then a John Kasich supporter. His back-and-forth with Trump shouldn't question his conservative loyalty.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
Well I must admit I used to watch Morning Joe quite a bit back in the day - But Mika turns me off so much I quit watching.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
I'm with you 100% on Mika.

But the SNL skit about Morning Joe is absolute gold! Someone post the YouTube of that one. I can't while I'm on my phone.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
I totally disagree with you about MSNBC,CNN and all of the major networks. I don't watch PBS or BBC enough to have an opinion. Brain Williams is a proven liar and CNN is fake news. How much of CNN's coverage about Trump during the election was positive? 1 percent maybe 2? It's not very impressive for a liberal leftist [Maddow] to receive an award from a liberal leftist organization. Saying Hannity is probably being paid by Trump is the same as me saying as Chris Matthews is being paid by the DNC.  That look on Tucker Carlson's face could be because some of his liberal guests make no sense at all. The fact that you mention PBS having non-whites in important positions means you must look at the news from a racial standpoint. A person race does not change the facts.

Apparently you think Fox News is the most fair and balanced. LOL, LOL, LOL

BTW, Tucker Carlson has that stupid look when Republicans are talking. When liberals speak he talks over them. Chris Matthews was Chief of Staff for Speaker of the House, Chip O'Neill and worked for other Democrats as well. He had a successful career before becoming a commentator. His Democratic bona fides are well established. He is more like an elder statesman who never hesitates to criticize Democrats, including Hillary Clinton. Hannity, who has never been anything but a talking head, has shown slavish devotion to Trump. He is nothing but a sycophantic twit. It's hilarious to watch him try to turn crap into gold. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:52:49 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
Anyone who thinks CNN or FOX News is fair and balanced needs a reality check. It's human nature that one is going to think a certain news station is more fair and balanced when they agree with 90% of it. I'm even seeing political bias on the local news level.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
Solon - once again you are assuming and not reading. LOL LOL LOL! As far as Tucker Carlson goes - I don't watch him much either but I have seen YOUTUBE clips where the liberals on his show are lacking intelligence and common sense. And don't forget Chris Matthews got " a tingle up his leg" for Obama I think that is weird. I can't stand to watch Chris Matthews. He reminds of a liberal version of Bill O'Reilly. They have enough ego and arrogance to supply the whole world. I can watch Hannity some but I can't remember watching a whole show. I don't agree very much with Rachel Maddow - but I have found her show to be entertaining at times. I agree most of all with Skinsguy.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »

Steven, you didn't deny that Fox was your preferred source for most fair and balanced. Just curious.

Of course, you aren't the only one who seems to be certain about who isn't fair and balanced, but no one wants to commit to who comes closest to being fair and balanced. I wonder why? Maybe its the fact that people are afraid of being labeled. That really won't wash because anyone who posts enough leaves no doubt. On the other hand, to be fair, I am sure most people are still employed and don't have the time to check out all the options even if they wanted to. Still, distrust is so rife that people don't even trust the sources they rely upon. When Skinsguy finds bias in local news (I am assuming it is political bias) we are deep into the depths of distrust. What astonishes me is that people will question the news, but believe any lie that Trump tells...and he tells a bunch.
...H. L. Mencken

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
Once again you are assuming. I never said Fox is fair and balanced. They are propaganda just like your favorites. Can you quote me as to any lie that Trump said that I believed. Why do you have to label people? Why can't accept the fact that some of us don't trust the media?  You act as if your opinion should be the only one that matters.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
On election night 2008 (Obama / McCain) I watched FOX News. The whole thing centered around Megyn Kelly. Following her down the hall in her high heels and tight dress. It was election night! What a farce. I flipped to PBS expecting to get something more cerebral. Instead, they were so left sided in their conversation I expected the desk to tilt and everyone slide off. Megyn is gone from Fox and I hope PBS has improved, but I discounted them both that night 9 years ago. I'm going to give BBC a try.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
You act as if your opinion should be the only one that matters.

Silly Rabbit, of course my opinion is the only one that matters! So far, I am the only person who has answered the question. If the answer is "no TV news comes close to being fair and balanced" then why not state it? That seems to be what Bill suggests, although he is giving the BBC a chance.

TV news does not provide sufficient information to understand current events. Reading helps when you get a variety of perspectives and background information. Any student knows that history is interpretation of the available facts such that our principles and preferences--dare I say, prejudices and opinions--will play a role in how we see the world and events. Not to fall too far into the rabbit hole, but Thaler just won the Nobel Prize for Economics because he introduced this perception into economics and found ways to measure it for analytical purposes.

Bill, was it 2008? I watched that segment with Kelly strolling back to visit the data guys because Karl Rove rejected the notion that they were projecting an Obama victory. I thought it was 2012, but it all runs together when you get to be as old as I am. 

...H. L. Mencken

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »

Steven, you didn't deny that Fox was your preferred source for most fair and balanced. Just curious.

Of course, you aren't the only one who seems to be certain about who isn't fair and balanced, but no one wants to commit to who comes closest to being fair and balanced. I wonder why? Maybe its the fact that people are afraid of being labeled. That really won't wash because anyone who posts enough leaves no doubt. On the other hand, to be fair, I am sure most people are still employed and don't have the time to check out all the options even if they wanted to. Still, distrust is so rife that people don't even trust the sources they rely upon. When Skinsguy finds bias in local news (I am assuming it is political bias) we are deep into the depths of distrust. What astonishes me is that people will question the news, but believe any lie that Trump tells...and he tells a bunch.

I just want a news outlet, be it local or national, that just reports the news. No spin, no leaning one way or the other, just information. Allow the viewers/listeners to form their own opinions based on the raw information. Just like I want the local news to report the local news. Why was Bryan Boulevard closed? Tell me about the fight that broke out at this local night club. Tell me about the local weather, local sports. And sports is another sore subject. I want sport news to report on sport news. No political news. Only news about sports. OK NFL players are protesting. That's fine if the protest. Tell me about it on the evening news, but if I tune into FOX Sports or ESPN, I just want news about the games, the matches, the tour championships. I don't care about politics crossing over into the sporting news.

Honestly, so much political opinion gets thrown around on the news today, that it further divides our nation. 90% of the people base their opinions on new sources that lean one way or the other, and they hold to those news stories as fact. Because, if the news reported it, it must be true, right?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!