Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 308 times)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
Just watched the 1st episode and looks very promising.

Solon

• View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:56 PM »

Agreed. Too bad you now have to pay for a decent CBS program.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

So this wasn't on the regular CBS channel? I am using a workaround to watch it because of other commitments I have on sunday night,like Fear the Walking Dead.
I just finished ep 2 of Discovery and it is really good.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:19 AM »

So this wasn't on the regular CBS channel? I am using a workaround to watch it because of other commitments I have on sunday night,like Fear the Walking Dead.

Only the first episode is on the regular CBS channels as a teaser. The remaining 14 episodes are on CBS All Access which, I understand, is $5.95 per month or $9.95 without commercials. If it is available by other means I would really like to know.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:47 AM »

Haven't given it a try yet. I still enjoy the occasional episode of "The Next Generation," but I've never really gotten too much into the rest of the Trek universe.
When I'm looking for something new to watch, I often search for "top ten forgotten shows" or "great shows that you may have missed" or other similar terms to see if something sticks out and gets me interested. Quite often. the "Next Generation's" predecessor, "Deep Space 9" is brought up as an "ahead of its time" program, said to weave long and short term plots in a fashion similar to today's programming. At the time it was made, standalone episodes were more the norm. I still can't make myself take the time to give it a chance though lol.

Anyway, Star Trek Discovery was originally intended to air only on the CBS All Access streaming app, in a hope to create a large pool of dedicated subscribers. To add to the interest, they aired the first episode on the actual network on Sunday, with the second episode being  available on the All Access app immediately afterward.
It's possible we could see them air on the network after the initial weekly release on their app due to the solid ratings Sunday's broadcast brought in. Nielsen's first reports are 9.5 million live viewers, and after the Live +3 and next day airings are totaled in, they are approximating 15 million watched.

Let me know how it goes. If the quality maintains/improves, I might have to give this one a shot  :)

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »
I liked the original series and The Next Generation but none of the others were able to keep my attention. Let me know how it goes.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »
Read somewhere where the Klingons speak in their native language now and they use subtitles so you can keep up with what's going on. I despise watching a foreign film because it's like reading a book, only they act it at the same time, but I can't keep up with both. If this is the case, I'm not even going to try. I'm perfectly fine with having everyone in the galaxy and beyond speak English. We all know that's how it would be anyway!
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:09:57 AM »
Read somewhere where the Klingons speak in their native language now and they use subtitles so you can keep up with what's going on. I despise watching a foreign film because it's like reading a book, only they act it at the same time, but I can't keep up with both. If this is the case, I'm not even going to try. I'm perfectly fine with having everyone in the galaxy and beyond speak English. We all know that's how it would be anyway!
It is distracting,I agree,but I am not even sure the Klingons are gonna be in the entire series.It's also quite a feat how the Klingon actors speak the actual language.Not sure how that is accomplished but it looks cool.But yeah I normally don't like subtitled movies because it's just too much reading while I am trying to watch whats going on.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

Only the first episode is on the regular CBS channels as a teaser. The remaining 14 episodes are on CBS All Access which, I understand, is $5.95 per month or $9.95 without commercials. If it is available by other means I would really like to know.

That's disappointing, but not surprising. This is kind of the path TV is going to be taking in the next few years. Every broadcast will develop their own app and have their own exclusive content only accessed through the app. I think it stinks that they throw out a teaser to Star Trek fans on regular CBS and then say if you want to watch the rest you have to pay for it! That sucks! I haven't watched it yet.

That's why people are turning toward those third party plugins in the Kodi software that provides those movies and TV shows for free.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
4 episodes in and it's really good.Solon,I am catching these eps on torrent sites.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
4 episodes in and it's really good.Solon,I am catching these eps on torrent sites.

Thanks for the info!
...H. L. Mencken

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »

I think it's a crime that CBS is only making it available on their app. I bet they continue to do more and more of this until you're forced to watch all CBS shows through their app.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!