Author Topic: Martinsville To Sell Mustangs  (Read 343 times)

superman

• View Profile
Martinsville To Sell Mustangs
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Martinsville City Council has entered ito an agreement to start the process of selling the Martinsville Mustangs to national Sports Services which is located in Topeka, Kansas. Apparently this has been worked out under secret meetings as this vote was not on the agenda for last night's Martinsville City council and the media was only given a last minute notification with no details provided and there was also no public discussion held at the meeting and the members of City Council gave no public statements about this during the meeting.

Hooker Field is in need of $1.5 Million for improvements to the stadium. Average attendance for 2017 was 1007. Apparently the Mustangs are still losing money.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/martinsville-council-takes-first-step-toward-selling-mustangs/article_7982dd6a-9826-11e7-9052-c7ba2b01915f.html

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Martinsville To Sell Mustangs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
Yeah, I know it says that doesn't mean the Mustangs are moving, but I wouldn't hold my breathe with them staying.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
Hey Superman,I thought this was what you wanted?

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
Martinsville City Council has entered ito an agreement to start the process of selling the Martinsville Mustangs to national Sports Services which is located in Topeka, Kansas. Apparently this has been worked out under secret meetings as this vote was not on the agenda for last night's Martinsville City council and the media was only given a last minute notification with no details provided and there was also no public discussion held at the meeting and the members of City Council gave no public statements about this during the meeting.

Hooker Field is in need of $1.5 Million for improvements to the stadium. Average attendance for 2017 was 1007. Apparently the Mustangs are still losing money.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/martinsville-council-takes-first-step-toward-selling-mustangs/article_7982dd6a-9826-11e7-9052-c7ba2b01915f.html

I don't think the city was trying to hide anything here. The article says the meeting was continuing past their press deadline. They'll probably have more details in Thursdays paper. I posted the video from the meeting below if anyone cares to make a full informed opinion.

I also think you are making assumptions about them losing money. Let's wait until the final numbers come out to see. Revenue may be down, but expenses may be as well since this is the league that's running it.

Either way, I'm glad if the city can sell the team. :D

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »
I am in favor of the city not funding a baseball especially in tight financial times. The part I do find questionable is the apparent secret meetings and lack of public discussion or notice of what was going to happen at the City Council meeting Tuesday night.

City Council has certainly not been transparent to the public on this issue. Makes you wonder what else they might be having secret discussion/negotiations over.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
I am in favor of the city not funding a baseball especially in tight financial times. The part I do find questionable is the apparent secret meetings and lack of public discussion or notice of what was going to happen at the City Council meeting Tuesday night.

City Council has certainly not been transparent to the public on this issue. Makes you wonder what else they might be having secret discussion/negotiations over.

If you'd like to skip to that part in the meeting its at 48 mins and 30 sec in that video i posted above...

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:26 PM »
The city has mentioned selling the team before, so this isn't new http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/city-explores-options-to-sell-mustangs/article_62bfc15e-4e1e-11e6-9d27-575b8cef60bf.html

From what i gather, the new group plans on picking up the remainder of the original 5 year agreement that was signed with Team Cole(2 years) and then passed along to the CPL this year. They will manage the team for the next 2 years to finish out that agreement.

The upgrades of the field would not be a condition of the sell.

The NEW Group wants the agreement finalized by October 1st. That's the reason for the urgency.

They didn't go into details the terms during the meeting.

"NSS has submitted a proposal to the City for purchase of the team. The terms as
proposed is for an initial 2 year period which covers the remaining 2 year
management contract the City currently has with the Coastal Plain League. For
some time, the City has investigated options for certain stadium upgrades and
under the purchase agreement, if no activity occurs regarding stadium
improvements, NSS can sell or relocate the team, with the City being given the first
right of refusal to purchase the team back at the proposed current sale price plus
any documented net investment made by NSS."

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
i have heard a local guy who,s family owns car dealerships here is inytrested in buying the team.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
I think we can all draw our conclusion on who that is. And to my knowledge he's been a supporter and financier of the team in the past. We shall see.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
In a unanimous vote Tuesday night, Martinsville City Council gave City Manager Leon Towarnicki permission to execute a sales agreement for the summer college-league baseball team.

Not "negotiate," "execute." Without disclosing to the public what the agreement is.

...as part of the preliminary contract details, there are clauses built in that would allow the city to buy back the Mustangs if NSS wants to relocate.

Ok, first right of refusal, but... standy by...

...there was no real discussion concerning the sale before Councilwoman Jennifer Bowles made a motion to give Towarnicki permission to execute the agreement. Councilwoman Kathy Lawson seconded Bowles’ motion.

In other words... the deal was already made. So... let's have the details of the deal...

The sales agreement proposal was not on the council meeting’s agenda for discussion. It was part of an addendum to the agenda packet provided to the media just before the meeting. The addendum was not emailed to the media prior to the meeting, as is the customary practice of city officials.

In other words... a back door deal and done so anyone with concerns isn't afforded the opportunity to ask questions.

... a copy of the currently proposed terms and conditions was not immediately available from city officials. However, the agenda addendum packet report states that city officials agree to negotiate with NSS initially for a two-year period.

Execute a sales agreement that is negotiable for two years? Now that's a new one.

For a while, Towarnicki said, the city has investigated options to make improvements to Hooker Field, such as covered seating and renovated concessions, restroom and office areas. Under the preliminary sale agreement, if the city takes no action within the next two years to make such improvements, NSS can sell or relocate the Mustangs, as long as the city is given the right of first refusal to buy back the team at the final negotiated sale price plus any documented net investment made by the firm, he said.

Ah.... so what you're saying is - if Martinsville doesn't foot the bill to upgrade the facility, then the Mustangs move. Forget the part about the City buying them back. If anyone thinks that's going to happen, forget it. ... AND remember the reason why the Phillies left? Because the city reneged on a mandate to upgrade the facilities.

Davidson told the council... If owning the Mustangs proves viable for NSS, the team will stay in Martinsville, he said.

In other words... if you upgrade the facilities and pay for it, we'll agree to stay.

Earlier this year, Towarnicki told the council the stadium needs about $1.5 million in improvements.

So there it is. $1.5 million is what it will cost the city to "sell" the Mustangs for a price that hasn't been disclosed.

Superman, this "sale" is going to cost the city more than the cable fiasco.

It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
In a unanimous vote Tuesday night, Martinsville City Council gave City Manager Leon Towarnicki permission to execute a sales agreement for the summer college-league baseball team.

Not "negotiate," "execute." Without disclosing to the public what the agreement is.

...as part of the preliminary contract details, there are clauses built in that would allow the city to buy back the Mustangs if NSS wants to relocate.

Ok, first right of refusal, but... standy by...

...there was no real discussion concerning the sale before Councilwoman Jennifer Bowles made a motion to give Towarnicki permission to execute the agreement. Councilwoman Kathy Lawson seconded Bowles’ motion.

In other words... the deal was already made. So... let's have the details of the deal...

The sales agreement proposal was not on the council meeting’s agenda for discussion. It was part of an addendum to the agenda packet provided to the media just before the meeting. The addendum was not emailed to the media prior to the meeting, as is the customary practice of city officials.

In other words... a back door deal and done so anyone with concerns isn't afforded the opportunity to ask questions.

... a copy of the currently proposed terms and conditions was not immediately available from city officials. However, the agenda addendum packet report states that city officials agree to negotiate with NSS initially for a two-year period.

Execute a sales agreement that is negotiable for two years? Now that's a new one.

For a while, Towarnicki said, the city has investigated options to make improvements to Hooker Field, such as covered seating and renovated concessions, restroom and office areas. Under the preliminary sale agreement, if the city takes no action within the next two years to make such improvements, NSS can sell or relocate the Mustangs, as long as the city is given the right of first refusal to buy back the team at the final negotiated sale price plus any documented net investment made by the firm, he said.

Ah.... so what you're saying is - if Martinsville doesn't foot the bill to upgrade the facility, then the Mustangs move. Forget the part about the City buying them back. If anyone thinks that's going to happen, forget it. ... AND remember the reason why the Phillies left? Because the city reneged on a mandate to upgrade the facilities.

Davidson told the council... If owning the Mustangs proves viable for NSS, the team will stay in Martinsville, he said.

In other words... if you upgrade the facilities and pay for it, we'll agree to stay.

Earlier this year, Towarnicki told the council the stadium needs about $1.5 million in improvements.

So there it is. $1.5 million is what it will cost the city to "sell" the Mustangs for a price that hasn't been disclosed.

Superman, this "sale" is going to cost the city more than the cable fiasco.

You are right Bill. Secret negotiations, secret deals, no public hearing and in the end another rip off of Martinsville City taxpayers by an inept Martinsville City Council. I say it is tie to replace each one of them.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
i'm really reading this to a 2 year buy a lease agreement. it may all be a ploy to drive the price up to show interest in the team. they a finishing out the original agreement put in place with team cole and CPL. that's why they have 2 years left. after that, they will re-evaluate and decide if they want to buy or what the next step is.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
I could be wrong, but i personally interpret covered grandstands as being shaded grandstands. i can't understand why this is an extremely desired feature. the pressbox usually shades most of the seating anyway because the sun sets behind it.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
I could be wrong, but i personally interpret covered grandstands as being shaded grandstands. i can't understand why this is an extremely desired feature. the pressbox usually shades most of the seating anyway because the sun sets behind it.

Go to game down in G'boro and you'll understand why covered grandstands are nice.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Hey Superman,I thought this was what you wanted?

come on now bro,all of us here know that superman posts here cause he thinks the area wronged him
when he lived here.he is trying to act like a genius,and he cant act that good.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein