Author Topic: Racial Discrimination Lawsuit vs. Martinsville School, Government Leaders  (Read 588 times)

superman

• View Profile
A more than $8 Million lawsuit claiming racial discrimination has been filed against members of the Martinsville City School Board, Martinsville City Council and the Superintendent of the Martinsville City Schools.

The lawsuit was brought forward with an approval to proceed by the United States Department of Justice. The complaint states that the former principal of Martinsville High School was demoted due to being white and she claims that was because local leaders wanted a minority as principal at the school to reflect that the majority of students at the high school are minority.

It just seems that the issue of race continues to plague the local area.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/former-principal-sues-martinsville-claiming-reverse-discrimination/article_fb85a2da-1a13-5d4a-b555-a021f5f9bd85.html

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:45:19 AM by superman »

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Racial Discrimination Lawsuit vs. Martinsville School, Government Leaders
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
Well didn't Zeb Talley say he felt that black students learn better with black teachers? Btw,the issue of race is not designated to the martinsville area,it's everywhere.Race relations are the worst I have seen in my lifetime and I thought it would be much better after electing a black president but he made it much worse by dividing this country.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
racism is always gonna be here just like hypocriscy.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
Well didn't Zeb Talley say he felt that black students learn better with black teachers? Btw,the issue of race is not designated to the martinsville area,it's everywhere.Race relations are the worst I have seen in my lifetime and I thought it would be much better after electing a black president but he made it much worse by dividing this country.

When Talley was made Superintendent and he made the comments he did I expected an outrage in the community. Instead, nobody seemed to mind. I doubt those words would have been tolerated if spoken by a white person regarding whites. Just on the face of it, looks like the lady may have a case - or at least part of one. I know there's insurance, but something like this is exhausting on everything and everyone.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:01:46 AM »

When Talley was made Superintendent and he made the comments he did I expected an outrage in the community. Instead, nobody seemed to mind. I doubt those words would have been tolerated if spoken by a white person regarding whites. Just on the face of it, looks like the lady may have a case - or at least part of one. I know there's insurance, but something like this is exhausting on everything and everyone.

The time has come for the process of determining who sits on the Martinsville City School Board to be decided by the voters of Martinsville and not by Martinsville City Council. Seeing that City Council makes that decision in private who knows what kind of back room deals they make in determining who they select.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
there are lots of things which should be determined by voters and not officials.
with respect to this,maybe a lot of people are just so sick of all the political rhetoric and talk now a days,they just ignoreall political news.
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Despite whether the lady has a case or not, despite whether she's right or wrong... it's still a sign of the times. If I was steeped in a crowd that didn't roll my way, my first action would be to find better company. Instead, she sues the school board, city council, and the members individually. Not saying she doesn't have the right, but the result is the same - it's a burden on the limited resources we have and if she wins, she'll be a wealthy person and no one that she claims has wronged her will personally suffer as a result of her suit. The bigger person would have found a happier place to pursue their life's work and leave misery to its misery.

As for the School Board members being elected instead of being appointed - good luck. Martinsville already has about 40 positions on various committees they can't find people willing to volunteer. Ask the members of the School Board if they would serve if they had to campaign for the job. Instead of finding qualified people with the interest of the schools at heart, you'd end up with a few people with agendas and little qualifications. Henry County has the population to swing it, Martinsville doesn't.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
i agree with bill,people will play the race card off thej top of the deck now. just like all this  PC crap about removing statues.i hope it fades like all the other stupid fads of the past.
albert einstein

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Despite whether the lady has a case or not, despite whether she's right or wrong... it's still a sign of the times. If I was steeped in a crowd that didn't roll my way, my first action would be to find better company. Instead, she sues the school board, city council, and the members individually. Not saying she doesn't have the right, but the result is the same - it's a burden on the limited resources we have and if she wins, she'll be a wealthy person and no one that she claims has wronged her will personally suffer as a result of her suit. The bigger person would have found a happier place to pursue their life's work and leave misery to its misery.

As for the School Board members being elected instead of being appointed - good luck. Martinsville already has about 40 positions on various committees they can't find people willing to volunteer. Ask the members of the School Board if they would serve if they had to campaign for the job. Instead of finding qualified people with the interest of the schools at heart, you'd end up with a few people with agendas and little qualifications. Henry County has the population to swing it, Martinsville doesn't.

Bill - First, the lady is 63 years old. Kind of hard to land a principal position at that age especially if you got demoted for the apparent reason of the color of your skin.  As for people and their agendas, looking back at what has been going on the past 5 years with the Martinsville City School Board, I would say that several members, all appointed by Martinsville City Council, have had personal agendas. Infighting on the School Board, resignations by school board members all have occurred within the past 2 years.

If the Superintendent of Martinsville City Schools has been quoted on the record as saying black students perform better in schools if they have black teachers and black administrators and then the Superintendent goes out and replaces white principals with black principals for no other reason other than race I would say the Department of justice in correct that this is a case of discrimination. The question is.....Doing the interview process, did members of Martinsville City Council sign off on Talley's view and plans and appoint members to the School Board who shared that view. they approved Talley being promoted to Superintendent instead of looking to hire someone from outside the school system to be the new leader. i believe City Council did the same thing when Pam Heath was made Superintendent of Martinsville City Schools.  Promote from within instead of bringing in a fresh face with an outside prospective.

I have found that most of the problems Martinsville has faced in regards to finances, the City leaders have brought upon themselves. The failed cable TV decision, the AMP $50 Million vote, the $800,000 medical college vote, high business taxes, etc. have run people and businesses out of the city. It all comes back to who is running the City of Martinsville and they have made some bad decisions the last few years that has  added to the financial woes the City of Martinsville now faces.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »
Ok, she can't be suing to change things because a win for her doesn't mandate any change at all and she's not suing to better her career opportunities (given her age) as you pointed out. Looks like we're left with the option for a fat retirement.

I assure you I would not be saying Talley said something "IF," he said it. Here's the quote:

“Minority students do better and do well when they have people in authority who look like them,” said new Martinsville superintendent Zeb Talley. “They need to have a vision of where they can go and having a minority teacher assist that, they feel like they can relate. We have great teachers who can reach across any color barrier or disparancy in terms of economics, but it’s good to have a classroom and a school that represents the demographics of our [area].”
Here's the published story: http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/school-board-wants-a-more-diverse-staff/article_a99f270b-9559-57d7-a16f-872a105d4078.html

Let's put the financial devastation of the attempt to purchase the cable system and the likelihood the city will have to give back the money for the medical college. The total amount of money lost relative to a roughly $70 million budget is comparable to a man making $35,000 a year going to Vegas and gambling away a thousand dollars one time. Big ouch, but it's not the financial ruin you describe. The AMP Ohio deal is a moot point for now because the cost of electricity to the city has been about what it would have cost if we were getting it from AEP. Maybe a little more, but very little. Quite frankly, I've discovered almost all of the city's budget is mandated in one form or another. Every member of Council could totally mismanage the little bit left to their choosing without having any real impact on the city's finances. 

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
i dont see this woman getting 8 million in this case.how do you decide on 8 million in the 1st place?
albert einstein

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
The Martinsville school system is attempting to deal with the difficult challenge of meeting the state accreditation standards with a minority student population. The black-white achievement gap has been an educational concern for as long as there has been data to document it. While I have no special knowledge of the situation, it would appear that there is a significant degree of concern about the direction of SOL test results. The Martinsville Superintendent cited a number of studies that point out the educational advantages of having black teachers in the system. The most recent from Johns Hopkins (http://releases.jhu.edu/2017/04/05/with-just-one-black-teacher-black-students-more-likely-to-graduate/) points to dramatic differences in graduation and achievement rates if black students have just one black teacher in grades 3-5. Unfortunately, nationwide, black teachers comprise only 7% of the teacher workforce. Martinsville's percentage is significantly above that. A concerted effort to increase that percentage is likely to yield poor results. Given the demand, a young black teacher has opportunities for pay and benefits far beyond what Martinsville can offer. More to the point, it would appear that Martinsville already has a population of teachers that meets the research criteria for the success of black students in particular. While there is nothing wrong with recruitment, the focus must be on teacher assignments that maximize the utilization of the research findings and staff development that focuses on teaching techniques to meet the identified needs of students. There are tutorial schemes, summer supplemental instruction, and flexible after school scheduling that a system the size of Martinsville can implement that many larger systems would find difficult. The achievement solution must come from within the system.

Public claims that the lack of black teachers is a cause for low performance not only damages morale for the majority teaching population and ignores Martinsville's advantage in its existing minority teaching population, but they have given ammunition for a reverse discrimination law suit. Moreover, it will likely add, not reduce, public discontent with the system by establishing a criterion that cannot be met. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut, your head down, and work your butt off to meet the challenges you face rather than offer an excuse.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:29:29 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »
The report yesterday that three of Martinsville's four schools are fully accredited as a result of May SOL test results is a tremendous accomplishment. It would appear that changes implemented in the system have had exceptionally positive results. It's an annual struggle, but there has been a five year gap since the city had results this good. It is especially difficult to come back from a multi-year decline. Administrators and teachers deserve considerable praise for meeting a difficult challenge.

It takes most schools three to five years to accomplish what Martinsville schools did, Talley said, “so it’s a phenomenal turnaround, and that’s why we received a call from the governor and state superintendent” in congratulations. They received that call with the good news at 4:12 p.m. Tuesday, he said. “We’re honored to be one of the schools” to be called by the state with personal commendations, he added.

Building Blocks: Three of Martinsville's four schools now fully accredited
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/building-blocks-three-of-martinsville-s-four-schools-now-fully/article_2fc554e0-3a85-5530-8f49-c4c22927239e.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:28:42 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken