Author Topic: Black Student Orientation Day  (Read 259 times)

Steven

• View Profile

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Student Orientation Day
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Hah, I liked clicking on that link. The first thing I notice is the hot blonde and brunette on the page, lol!

I think it is, however, the question is, who is being racist? African-Americans, or the college? Was it the college's idea? If so, isn't that supporting the idea of segregation? I cannot speak for the African-American race, so anything I assume is probably not going to be exactly right, but if the roles were reversed and I, being white, was in the minority, I would feel like they're making an example out of me by forcing me into my own racial orientation. If I want to be a part of a college and part of the student body, then that means to be considered not separated in any way, but to be intertwined with the other students. Not that, "Oh, Skinsguy is one of our white students." Because, whether if this college realizes it or not, that's basically what they're doing to these black students by having a separate orientation. These students will be labeled as their "black students", not just simply students.

And, honestly, isn't what Dr. King wanted was to not be judged by the color of our skin, but by what's in our heart? How is this any different?

No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
In my humble opinion, it's very close to segregation. 

That reminds me, I got to thinking about this the other day.  To me, high school was probably the most exclusive, racist, homophobic, socially and economically segregated bunch of kids I have ever seen in my life.  Of course, were just trying to figure out who we were.  But once in college, it all seemed so much more diverse and inclusive, and there just didn't seem to be any "groups".....except for frats.  But that's a different story. 

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
Come on now - tell us all about the frat parties!

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
In my humble opinion, it's very close to segregation. 

That reminds me, I got to thinking about this the other day.  To me, high school was probably the most exclusive, racist, homophobic, socially and economically segregated bunch of kids I have ever seen in my life.  Of course, were just trying to figure out who we were.  But once in college, it all seemed so much more diverse and inclusive, and there just didn't seem to be any "groups".....except for frats.  But that's a different story.

Most of that was innocence and being more comfortable hanging out with other kids from the neighborhood. I wasn't exposed to the steady diet of in your face homosexuality like we seem to be nowadays, so it never even crossed my mind. I mean, there were guys who were obviously gay, but I never once saw them kiss another guy, or talk about how attractive other guys are, so I just thought they were quite in touch with their feminine side. Never crossed my mind at all, because again, I was innocent. As far racism, you mainly saw that between the more economically challenged, red neck whites and the blacks who idolized thug life and street gangs. Those who didn't associate with either, whether black or white, all generally got along. I got along with everyone. Even the "rough" people. I made people laugh and that seemed to be my shield through high school.

I never experienced going off to college as a teen, so I don't really have that experience. I went to community college, but even at local community college, there was more of a sense of togetherness. I loved those times and cherish my time at community college. Those were great times for me! When I finally "went off" to school years later, I was almost 30 years old, and I was a commuter, and I didn't really take in living at college and the whole nine yards. But looking back, I wished I had. Even though I was much older than the others, I was still in my late 20's, and I think I could have still had a lot of fun on campus, but at the time, I had a fiancee, I had bills to pay, and I didn't really want to be in more debt by paying to be on campus. I did kick myself for not going off to school sooner!
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Lalirtra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
First day of attendance What is the best thing to do?

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »
First day of attendance What is the best thing to do?

Complete your class assignments; ignore the loud music in the room next door. 
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken