Author Topic: College Basketball 2017-2018  (Read 1777 times)

Blue Fish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: College Basketball 2017-2018
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    I'd favor UNC by 1.5 to win tonight. I don't think Duke has much focus this year. Not like years past for sure.

UVA looked tired to me last night. They hung in there and sheer talent and discipline to Tony B's style pulled them through it. They looked like they need to come home, get off the road, and get a good night's sleep.

Tech, on the other hand, looked like they were over-caffeinated and on steroids. NC State wanted to play a fast game so instead of slowing it down, Tech played faster than NC State. It was fun to watch, and I like NC State. Always had a soft spot for the Wolfpack since back in the days of Jimmy V. Here's an interesting stat - NC State has never, ever won four ACC games in a row. Ever. A win last night would have done it, but the record stands at 3.
    It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • St. John's (11-13) knocked off Duke and Villanova in back-to-back games after starting 0-11 in the Big East. There must be a story there somewhere, but nobody knows.
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Youngblood

• View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Tar Heels get it done against the youth movement at Duke with experience and toughness. Duke looked like they had tar on their heels in the 2nd half and UNC came out HOT and took over after trailing most of the 1st half. Marvin Bagley is a BEAST, he is almost too much for anyone to handle one on one at this level. if they get it together on the Defensive end, they will go deep in the tourney. Heels need to continue this play the rest of the year and see what shakes out. They go to Raleigh on Saturday.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yep, tomorrow we've got UNC vs NC State at 2 PM on WHEE and then UVA vs Virginia Tech at 6 PM on WMVA. Glad the Hoos are playing this one at home.

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: February 11, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Whatever disease UNC acquired in the Wofford game, they apparently found the cure against Duke. Both UNC and State looked good despite turnovers.

UVA played up to its preseason predictions yesterday--sixth place in the ACC. The team was obviously experiencing a collective nightmare. The Monday polling will be a nasty wakeup call. Will they wake up? Dead air during the llloooonnnnnggggg 38-38 tie was excruciating.

Tech was more athletic and energetic; they have a lock on an NCAA tournament spot.
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #110 on: February 11, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • Tech was more athletic and energetic.

Solon, here is my quote from a few days ago when UVA barely got out of Florida alive...

UVA looked tired to me last night. They hung in there and sheer talent and discipline to Tony B's style pulled them through it. They looked like they need to come home, get off the road, and get a good night's sleep.

Well... they did come home, got a good night's sleep, and came out and played worse than they did in Florida. This funk started before last night's game and I haven't heard anyone addressing it. Reminds me of the time I had to get a tetanus shot in order to try out for the JV team. I got it and the next day I felt like an old man. Joints hurt, back hurt, barely could move. It was gone in a day. The whole UVA team looks like they've had tetanus shots and haven't gotten over it.

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: February 11, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Tech was more athletic and energetic.

Solon, here is my quote from a few days ago when UVA barely got out of Florida alive...

Well... they did come home, got a good night's sleep, and came out and played worse than they did in Florida. This funk started before last night's game and I haven't heard anyone addressing it. Reminds me of the time I had to get a tetanus shot in order to try out for the JV team. I got it and the next day I felt like an old man. Joints hurt, back hurt, barely could move. It was gone in a day. The whole UVA team looks like they've had tetanus shots and haven't gotten over it.

Believe it or not I had to get a tetanus shot a few weeks ago so I know how long it takes to get over it. You are right on target. By Tuesday they should be fully recovered. Let's hope the analogy holds.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Buzz Williams' energy is infections among his players. We can in as the big time underdog and we played like it.

Feels feels good to beat the #1 team in the country, and in state, in their house!

I'm thinking coupled with the win over  UVa and UNC, as well as a few ACC road games should have us in the Tournament.

GO HOKIES!
    "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Youngblood

• View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: February 16, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • we getting down to the nitty gritty with 2 weeks left in the regular season and roughly 4 or 5 games left for each team. UVA should be the 1 seed in the ACC tournament but a dogfight has developed for that 2 day bye that goes with 2,3 and 4 seeds. Clemson and Duke are locked at 9-4 and they play each other this weekend. UNC is 1/2 game behind Duke and Clem and they play at Louisville Saturday night. Louisville is only a game behind UNC. VT should beat GT and they are just a game behind Louisville.
    UNC has a tough schedule left with trips to Louisville, Syracuse and they close out at Duke.
    Duke goes to Clemson and VT over their next 5 games, with Louisville and Syracuse at home.
    UVA plays GT and ND at home and has to go to Pitt and Louisville over the next 4.  I see 4 more wins here.

Common Sense

• View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: February 16, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think its going to be Duke's to lose at this point.

They were the favorite coming into the season and now that we're in the final stretch coming into the ACC tournament, Coach K's boys are looking solid. Not just that the fact they DEMOLISHED my Hokies but they're solid all around.

I think a variable is whether or not that punk Grayson Allen keeps his feet to himself or not! I can't stand that kid.
    "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Youngblood

• View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: February 19, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • 8 ACC games this past Sat & Sun. 7 of them were won on the road.  Still only 3 team currently have winning records on the road in ACC play. UVA - 6-0, Duke 5-3, VT 5-3.

UVA, Duke, UNC and Clemson currently hold the top 4 spots in the ACC.   good matchups this week, Clemson @ VT, Louisville @ Duke and UNC @ Syracuse

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: Today at 03:08:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Louisville lost an appeal and will be forced to vacate its 2013 National Championship, the first time that has occurred in the modern history of NCAA Division I basketball.  An investigation found that members of the coaching staff provided hookers and strippers for student athletes and recruits while Rick Pitino was coach and Tom Jurich athletics director. Both men were fired after the findings were made public. Only the current president of the United States can procure women without suffering a penalty when it is made public. The University appealed what officials regarded as the excessive harshness of the decision by the Committee on Infractions. The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals, however, upheld the decision to strip the University of its title. The failed appeal is the last step in an adjudication process that began in October 2015.

The appeals committee cited the severity of rules and ethics violations that spanned almost four years in upholding the penalties.

In its ruling in June, the seven-member infractions committee wrote that it “has not previously encountered a case like this.”

Among other punishments confirmed Tuesday: Louisville must vacate 123 wins — every game it won from the 2011-2 through the 2014-5 seasons — and all of its N.C.A.A. tournament appearances during that period, including its 2012 and 2013 trips to the Final Four and the 2013 national championship. It also must forfeit about $600,000 in tournament payouts from those seasons.

Louisville basketball will vacate 2013 national championship as NCAA upholds ruling
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/20/louisville-basketball-will-vacate-2013-national-championship-as-ncaa-upholds-ruling/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_louisvilletitle-1249pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.a121f7dd6b63
    « Last Edit: Today at 03:16:56 PM by Solon »
    ...H. L. Mencken