December 11, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Martinsville City School Board Issues...Again!  (Read 342 times)

superman

• View Profile
Martinsville City School Board Issues...Again!
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
Once again ther Martinsville City School Board is back in the news again. This seems to be a constant theme with them.

Board member Lawrence Mitchell submitted his letter of resignation to the Martinsville City Manager on Friday. He is the 2nd City School Board member to have resigned in the past year, along with the "retirement" of City School Superintendent Pam Heath.

Add in declining student enrollment numbers for the city school system and test scores that do not have any of the city schools accredited by the state.

Mitchell cited his reason for resigning as being to much politics on the school board and that the board is being told what to do (micromanaged) by Martinsville City Council.

It is time for Martinsville City Council to get out of the business of trying to run the city school system themselves. By that I mean the time has come for Martinsville City Council to stop the process of selecting school board members themselves and let the positions being filled by public elections.

Majority of local school board members in the Commonwealth of Virginia are determined by local elections. This is just another area where Martinsville has fallen behind the times. Given the recent track record of resignations and replacement of school board members it seems as though Martinsville City Council has done a poor job in their selection process.

Let's see if members of Martinsville City Council can figure this one out and decide to get out of the business of running the Martinsville City Public Schools and let city voters decide on who should sit on the Martinsville City School Board.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Re: Martinsville City School Board Issues...Again!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:40 PM »
you should come down here and show us how to fix things like you are at the virginia lottery??
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
you should come down here and show us how to fix things like you are at the virginia lottery??

Already offered a solution to this problem. Do away with City Council appointing School Board members and let the voters elect members to the Martinsville City School Board, just as they already do in Henry County.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »
  But we need your smarts and guidance so much wise one.  NOT!!!LOL
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Frankydribble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »
If I have any doubt Can I ask you more? I know more.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
You know more of what?

I'm curious. I want to know more.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32