Author Topic: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?  (Read 1716 times)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
Re: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
TGIF Crowd Friday Night - Gloom Doom and Despair

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
I've been told The Worx were a great band. How was it?

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »

Is that who was at TGIF? I can't tell in the picture. If so, should have been much more there than what I'm seeing. The Worx is an awesome covers band that always brings a big crowd out.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 11:15:06 PM »

Is that who was at TGIF? I can't tell in the picture. If so, should have been much more there than what I'm seeing. The Worx is an awesome covers band that always brings a big crowd out.

that is actually a really good. crowd. that is taken at the top of the parking lot. i would say thats at least 1,000 people.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

that is actually a really good. crowd. that is taken at the top of the parking lot. i would say thats at least 1,000 people.

Just in the picture alone, that can't be 1,000 people. Maybe a couple hundred. Now, if you're talking about big crowds of people in the parking lot collectively not pictured, then that's a different story.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
how about things like the walking with dinosaurs exhibit lake greensboro had last year. card shows and autograph shows.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
how about things like the walking with dinosaurs exhibit lake greensboro had last year. card shows and autograph shows.

Local Comicons would attract people in. Wouldn't be, obviously, on the same level as the San Diego Comicon, but there's one that happens in Raleigh or Charlotte (or both areas) on an annual basis that always has a good turnout. People love those comic books, and people also love cosplay!

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »

Local Comicons would attract people in. Wouldn't be, obviously, on the same level as the San Diego Comicon, but there's one that happens in Raleigh or Charlotte (or both areas) on an annual basis that always has a good turnout. People love those comic books, and people also love cosplay!

local film festival starts soon...

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
Harvester is heavily subsidized by the Town of Rocky Mount. FY 2016 was $289,310, FY 2017 was $331,146, and FY 2018 is $354,682.

The town plans to contribute less to the facility each year and eventually have it carry itself financially. The hope was that the Harvester would sustain itself in three years, and itís still on track to do so, Hankins said.

HA! The first 1-2 years they were losing $50,000 a MONTH!

Gov't can't do it right and shouldn't get involved. I love the Martinsville Mustangs, but they are the same exact thing on a smaller level.

People need to support LIVE music/entertainment at the venues around here already that bring them. Rives, Rooster Walk(Pops Farm), Daily Grind, Mtn' Jax, Mountain Valley Brewery, Sportlanes, Butcher's and Brew, TGIF, Spencer Penn, and others.

The first thing that comes to mind about this ridiculous post of yours is that it's not surprising superman agrees with you. I haven't followed this thread in awhile but the last post above this one you're now pitching those pitiful horror shows? I'm glad and happy for the folks that enjoy that sort of thing, but good Lord, it's no wonder we don't have anything else around here. We already have what we want (speaking collectively here - not personally).

Harvest generates about $400,000 a year in taxes from the people who come to the venues there when you count the food they eat, the gas they buy, etc., etc. The "government" planted the seed and for one time actually saw it through.

I agree with the rest of you here though. We could never have anything like this. We don't even have the imagination to dream about it.

http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/franklin_county/q-a-matt-hankins-ceo-of-the-harvester-performing-arts/article_ee3b7674-98da-5bf0-b291-44c2f6bdf440.html?utm_medium=social
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
Harvester is heavily subsidized by the Town of Rocky Mount. FY 2016 was $289,310, FY 2017 was $331,146, and FY 2018 is $354,682.

The town plans to contribute less to the facility each year and eventually have it carry itself financially. The hope was that the Harvester would sustain itself in three years, and itís still on track to do so, Hankins said.

HA! The first 1-2 years they were losing $50,000 a MONTH!

Gov't can't do it right and shouldn't get involved. I love the Martinsville Mustangs, but they are the same exact thing on a smaller level.

People need to support LIVE music/entertainment at the venues around here already that bring them. Rives, Rooster Walk(Pops Farm), Daily Grind, Mtn' Jax, Mountain Valley Brewery, Sportlanes, Butcher's and Brew, TGIF, Spencer Penn, and others.

The first thing that comes to mind about this ridiculous post of yours is that it's not surprising superman agrees with you. I haven't followed this thread in awhile but the last post above this one you're now pitching those pitiful horror shows? I'm glad and happy for the folks that enjoy that sort of thing, but good Lord, it's no wonder we don't have anything else around here. We already have what we want (speaking collectively here - not personally).

Harvest generates about $400,000 a year in taxes from the people who come to the venues there when you count the food they eat, the gas they buy, etc., etc. The "government" planted the seed and for one time actually saw it through.

I agree with the rest of you here though. We could never have anything like this. We don't even have the imagination to dream about it.

http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/franklin_county/q-a-matt-hankins-ceo-of-the-harvester-performing-arts/article_ee3b7674-98da-5bf0-b291-44c2f6bdf440.html?utm_medium=social

I'm not quite sure what's ridiculous about my post. most everything i put there is factual.

I'm perfectly fine with people putting ideas out and spit balling them around, but when the city is having a hard time each year passing a budget without issuing cuts AND raising taxes, we don't need to find more ways to spend TAX money we don't have.

My point throughout this post is there is a lot of stuff here that people aren't utilizing or aren't even aware that is available. There is a lot of stuff to do if you know what you're looking for and where to look. The Virginia Sweded Film Festival is fairly new, and I'm willing to give a plug to something that people may not know a lot about. Alice in Wonderland, Return to Oz and Night of the Living Dead are just a few of the short films that will be shown.

If the Harvester has to keep being subsidized more and more every year by the town of rocky mount, they aren't succeeding IMO. This FY is the highest expense ever.

In contrast, a private "non-profit" like Rooster Walk/Rives has grown more and more every year and been able to offer quality entertainment without tax payer money. They have received grants from the harvest foundation from time to time, but most of their shows are funded by donations and proceeds from tickets sales as they should be.

I wish all the best for the Town of Rocky Mount and the Harvester. I just don't want our(MHC) local tax dollars going towards something that can't be self-funded when we can't afford to adequately fund schools or emergency services. If that makes me ridiculous, so be it.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
Lp, if a guy falls during a mountain climb and is left alone to die because his arm is wedged between two rocks and there's no way to free it - so he chooses to survive by cutting off his arm and climbing down the mountain - do you say "that man cut off his own arm." Of course not, it's ridiculous to say that, call it factual, and think you've been honest with what occurred. Without the rest of the "facts," you imply the guy is a maniacal self-mutilator instead of a survivor who did what was required to save his own life. Rocky Mount and Franklin County are unlike Martinsville. They're a bit flush with the influx of Smith Mountain Lake aficionados. They chose to invest the money in a venue to improve the financial prospects of the local businesses and attract more. Given their purpose, they have been very successful. A small example is your Cook Out restaurant that still hasn't opened in Martinsville, but is serving up orders by the thousands in Rocky Mount. If you're still "not quite sure what's ridiculous" about your post, I'm at my end trying to explain it.

I never suggested Martinsville fund a version of The Harvest here. I was pointing out this region is capable of attracting sell-out crowds with sell-out entertainers with solid ticket prices and indoor plumbing.

As you say your "point throughout this post is there is a lot of stuff here that people aren't utilizing or aren't even aware that is available" when the thread topic says "What Type of Events Would you Like to See in M&HC." I'm pointing out what I would like to see and giving an example of it working just across the county line. A combination of some Henry County "private 'non-profit'" entrepreneurship along with a first-class Uptown venue is not beyond our abilities, but the short-sightedness of the Harvest Foundation reneging on their promise and all the negativity created by equally short-minded people discourage anyone from "putting ideas out and spit balling them around." So continue making your point and by all means promote what we have. Like I said earlier, apparently, we already have all we want.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:12:06 PM by Bill Wyatt »
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
I think a good fund raiser or uptown promotion venture would be to host an "escape room."  I don't think it would go over well as a full-time business, however, as an alternative to say a haunted house or a local charity or church doing it as a fund raiser as a limited time event.....not a bad idea anywhere really.  Come to think of it, why not build a mobile "escape room" that can be rented by charities.  Build it in a semi-truck trailer, then rent it out for a fee and cost of hauling it to the location. The charity can rent it for as long as they like.  (I looked it up and mobile escape rooms do exist throughout the country, but mostly big cities.)

And I also think something like a murder mystery dinner theater would go over well.  Theater is not my thing, but the Blackbox theater has seemed to do well.  I went to one show and enjoyed it. 

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
I think a good fund raiser or uptown promotion venture would be to host an "escape room."  I don't think it would go over well as a full-time business, however, as an alternative to say a haunted house or a local charity or church doing it as a fund raiser as a limited time event.....not a bad idea anywhere really.  Come to think of it, why not build a mobile "escape room" that can be rented by charities.  Build it in a semi-truck trailer, then rent it out for a fee and cost of hauling it to the location. The charity can rent it for as long as they like.  (I looked it up and mobile escape rooms do exist throughout the country, but mostly big cities.)

And I also think something like a murder mystery dinner theater would go over well.  Theater is not my thing, but the Blackbox theater has seemed to do well.  I went to one show and enjoyed it.

An escape room is an awesome idea. They are very trendy right now and there are plenty of vacant buildings you could have it in uptown. I could see MURA or a church sponsor it.

Black box is having a murder mystery theater towards the end of November with 5 alternate endings depending on the audience
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:51:21 PM by LpMv2407 »

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
Lp, if a guy falls during a mountain climb and is left alone to die because his arm is wedged between two rocks and there's no way to free it - so he chooses to survive by cutting off his arm and climbing down the mountain - do you say "that man cut off his own arm." Of course not, it's ridiculous to say that, call it factual, and think you've been honest with what occurred. Without the rest of the "facts," you imply the guy is a maniacal self-mutilator instead of a survivor who did what was required to save his own life. Rocky Mount and Franklin County are unlike Martinsville. They're a bit flush with the influx of Smith Mountain Lake aficionados. They chose to invest the money in a venue to improve the financial prospects of the local businesses and attract more. Given their purpose, they have been very successful. A small example is your Cook Out restaurant that still hasn't opened in Martinsville, but is serving up orders by the thousands in Rocky Mount. If you're still "not quite sure what's ridiculous" about your post, I'm at my end trying to explain it.

I never suggested Martinsville fund a version of The Harvest here. I was pointing out this region is capable of attracting sell-out crowds with sell-out entertainers with solid ticket prices and indoor plumbing.

As you say your "point throughout this post is there is a lot of stuff here that people aren't utilizing or aren't even aware that is available" when the thread topic says "What Type of Events Would you Like to See in M&HC." I'm pointing out what I would like to see and giving an example of it working just across the county line. A combination of some Henry County "private 'non-profit'" entrepreneurship along with a first-class Uptown venue is not beyond our abilities, but the short-sightedness of the Harvest Foundation reneging on their promise and all the negativity created by equally short-minded people discourage anyone from "putting ideas out and spit balling them around." So continue making your point and by all means promote what we have. Like I said earlier, apparently, we already have all we want.

Bill gets it. He says it better than I can (which is why he's in radio/public speaking and I'm not.) Honestly, I believe people think they're still living in the 50's/60's. They watch an episode of Andy Griffith and think, "That's how I want Martinsville to always be. I want it to be like the Andy Griffith Show! Small hometown where everybody knows everybody." Well, that may have been OK back then, but that is not OK now. That era of life is long over. To survive, you have to think innovation, outside of the box, evolve and move forward. I get the feeling that that mentality is not present in economic development in Martinsville. "But Skinsguy, the money has to be there!" Yes, I know. Tell me, how many business, successful businesses, start off with every single penny they need to succeed? Almost none of them. In fact, many people with great ideas shop those ideas for investors who believe in them. Now, it's certainly up to that business man or woman to make it happen, but somebody at some point is waiting to invest in a new area and a great idea. If I was a multimillionaire, I would most definitely invest in that area, regardless where in the world I lived. Because, it's my hometown, and I want to see it revitalized.

People seem to have this idea that economic recovery is a long process that takes lifetimes to accomplish. It doesn't have to be that way. Personally, I love the idea of the Civic Center, because you NEED out of town money coming into the area. There's not enough living within the area to help support the venture, so the money has to be found outside of the area. You build a nice Civic Center and bring in acts that will pack the house out each and every time it's booked, and that's eventually going to turn into success for the area. You then have a venue the will help support businesses around it, which means it needs to be built where other businesses can move in around it and draw from its success. Honestly,  it's like trying to tell a nerdy high school guy that if he doesn't get up enough nerve to go to that girl he has a crush on and ask her out, he's never going to get a date. There's nothing wrong with him at all, has a lot going for him, but he has no confidence. I often wonder if the powers that be actually have enough confidence in themselves to take a chance on some of these ideas and make it work?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »

Bill gets it. He says it better than I can (which is why he's in radio/public speaking and I'm not.) Honestly, I believe people think they're still living in the 50's/60's. They watch an episode of Andy Griffith and think, "That's how I want Martinsville to always be. I want it to be like the Andy Griffith Show! Small hometown where everybody knows everybody." Well, that may have been OK back then, but that is not OK now. That era of life is long over. To survive, you have to think innovation, outside of the box, evolve and move forward. I get the feeling that that mentality is not present in economic development in Martinsville. "But Skinsguy, the money has to be there!" Yes, I know. Tell me, how many business, successful businesses, start off with every single penny they need to succeed? Almost none of them. In fact, many people with great ideas shop those ideas for investors who believe in them. Now, it's certainly up to that business man or woman to make it happen, but somebody at some point is waiting to invest in a new area and a great idea. If I was a multimillionaire, I would most definitely invest in that area, regardless where in the world I lived. Because, it's my hometown, and I want to see it revitalized.

People seem to have this idea that economic recovery is a long process that takes lifetimes to accomplish. It doesn't have to be that way. Personally, I love the idea of the Civic Center, because you NEED out of town money coming into the area. There's not enough living within the area to help support the venture, so the money has to be found outside of the area. You build a nice Civic Center and bring in acts that will pack the house out each and every time it's booked, and that's eventually going to turn into success for the area. You then have a venue the will help support businesses around it, which means it needs to be built where other businesses can move in around it and draw from its success. Honestly,  it's like trying to tell a nerdy high school guy that if he doesn't get up enough nerve to go to that girl he has a crush on and ask her out, he's never going to get a date. There's nothing wrong with him at all, has a lot going for him, but he has no confidence. I often wonder if the powers that be actually have enough confidence in themselves to take a chance on some of these ideas and make it work?

Skinsguy- you provided us with an example when hammer meets metal. I think you nailed it!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32