Author Topic: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?  (Read 1768 times)

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Re: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
superman,i are am sorry nobody showed up to see culturre club,the villiage people and frankie goes to hollywood,but they aint too popular here in the south.a 3000 seat venue here would not cost 25 million bucks here to build.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »
Study done back in 2006 (11 years ago) for a 5,000 seat civic center in Martinsville, projected the estimated cost of the civic center to be $16 Million at that time. The proposed civic center was to be built where the new NCI building is now located.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/local/study-parking-for-civic-center-will-be-adequate/article_fa3424bc-a5e6-5158-8184-dad94b46cf88.html

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
5000 is2ooo more than 3000.just build a shell. building,like the ones over in industrial park that would not cost 16 million.
albert einstein

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
3,000 seats would be the same as the gym holds at Bassett High School. I do not believe you would get a Monster Truck Show or any type of major concert act in a complex that small. There have to be enough seats to make a major event cost effective (able to make a profit for a major event).

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
Back when Harvest announced they would build a Soccer Complex in Henry County and a Performance Center in Martinsville I envisioned something like this... seating around 1,000. If you're going for $8 tickets and monster truck shows good luck. There are a million people that live within an hour's drive of Martinsville. If Franklin County can sell out a Lyle Lovett / John Hiatt acoustic set for $80 bucks a ticket...

Acts with proven attendance numbers that would be profitable in the $20 to $80 ticket range in a venue like the one above.

See anyone on the list that would work for you?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:25:51 PM by Bill Wyatt »
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »
i see a few,and if you can  get the big names to come small venue in franklin county,under 1000 people,i am sure you can get them here.steve earle,george thurogood,charlie daniels,marty stuart have been there.they played there,i am sure they would play here.
albert einstein

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
Harvester is heavily subsidized by the Town of Rocky Mount. FY 2016 was $289,310, FY 2017 was $331,146, and FY 2018 is $354,682.

The town plans to contribute less to the facility each year and eventually have it carry itself financially. The hope was that the Harvester would sustain itself in three years, and itís still on track to do so, Hankins said.

HA! The first 1-2 years they were losing $50,000 a MONTH!

Gov't can't do it right and shouldn't get involved. I love the Martinsville Mustangs, but they are the same exact thing on a smaller level.

People need to support LIVE music/entertainment at the venues around here already that bring them. Rives, Rooster Walk(Pops Farm), Daily Grind, Mtn' Jax, Mountain Valley Brewery, Sportlanes, Butcher's and Brew, TGIF, Spencer Penn, and others.

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
Harvester is heavily subsidized by the Town of Rocky Mount. FY 2016 was $289,310, FY 2017 was $331,146, and FY 2018 is $354,682.

The town plans to contribute less to the facility each year and eventually have it carry itself financially. The hope was that the Harvester would sustain itself in three years, and itís still on track to do so, Hankins said.

Gov't can't do it right and shouldn't get involved. I love the Martinsville Mustangs, but they are the same exact thing on a smaller level.

People need to support LIVE music/entertainment at the venues around here already that bring them. Rives, Rooster Walk(Pops Farm), Daily Grind, Mtn' Jax, Mountain Valley Brewery, Sportlanes, Butcher's and Brew, TGIF, Spencer Penn, and others.

I agree with LP on this one. Keep government out of the subsidy business. Besides, if you really want to draw a big act to town, you have the Martinsville Speedway facility to use. The front stretch alone can seat 30,000 for a concert event. local residents just need to work with ISC (International Speedway Corporation) to get permission to use the facility.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 08:00:29 AM »
it is not clay gravely,s call anymore on who has permission to use the speedway anymore though.i doubt that the owners would be reluctant to do that more than the 3 times it is filled every year.
albert einstein

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
it is not clay gravely,s call anymore on who has permission to use the speedway anymore though.i doubt that the owners would be reluctant to do that more than the 3 times it is filled every year.

Clay Campbell is still the president and they have many events throughout the year. He actually is fairly high up on the ISC rank and file.  He oversees the president's for darlington and Richmond.   Charity league just hosted touch a truck. Martinsville hs has after prom there. The chamber has had several job fairs. July 4th is a big celebration. ISC had been trying to diversify some of its earnings and held music festivals at Daytona,  Michigan,  and talladega.  If sponsors in the community got involved,  I don't think it would be far fetched

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Which people? Who? Does Martinsville still have a large enough population that will go out on a regular basis and support Live entertainment? My guess would be, probably not. Who are the artists that play at these venues?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »

Which people? Who? Does Martinsville still have a large enough population that will go out on a regular basis and support Live entertainment? My guess would be, probably not. Who are the artists that play at these venues?

I think so.  All of these venues seem to be at least be steady when they have music if not growing.

Local bands play. There have been several members of big bands play locally.  Stevie ray Vaughan band members,  lynrd skynRd, Allman brothers. Shame for Sydney is probably the biggest local draw. Pretty much guaranteed to pack out a party venue

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
Problem is younger people who make up a majority of the people going out would rather go to a venue with a dj or karaoke which also is cheaper for the venue than paying a baND and also cheaper for the person with no cover. Venues also have to pay rights fees for bands to cover songs from 3 different companies.  I'm not very familiar with how that works but I know they do

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

I have played music at 5 of the 9 mentioned.   ;D   

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »

I have played music at 5 of the 9 mentioned.   ;D

What type of crowd usually shows up? What type of music do you play?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!