Author Topic: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?  (Read 1717 times)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »
Other than NASCAR related events, what other types of annual events do you think would bring people to Martinsville? I have some ideas.

Every Christmas, I think the entire main stretch of Collinsville should be decorated in Christmas lights. There is a small town in NC that is nicknamed the Christmas Town, and every year, the entire town (it's very small, think of Floyd) is garbbed out in Christmas lights and decorations. People from all over come to this town every year to see the lights. The area could invite seasonal vendors to come and setup shop throughout the town during the holiday season and make it into a big Christmas celebration.

The other ideas I had, (kind of piggybacking off of the vendor idea) is to have an annual flea market event throughout Martinsville. Have vendors from all over come to sell their items, have food trucks, have live music, etc. This could be something they do on a three day weekend or something like that. Kind of like the Hillsville Flea Market. Again, something that could potentially bring people from the region in.

The other ideas I have kind of copycat what you see elsewhere. Like a strawberry festival, wine festival, or beer fest.

I'm just thinking of something that everybody could look forward to that would bring folks together and maybe bring folks into the area for a day or two.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Re: What Type of Events Would You Like To See In M&HC?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
I would love to see a small 5000 seat arena that could be used for a concert arena like the one near franklin county. could also use it for small college and high school basketball and other school sports.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
I vote with cubsfan

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
But other than actually building a permanent building, I'm thinking more in terms of events that wouldn't necessarily need a building.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
dont they have tgif concerts at the old glob,mans parking lot?
albert einstein

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »

It rotates between there and farmers market

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »

They have had to cut them back to fewer events, but do still have them, and with quality bands too.  I think they should try having them on a Saturday and combine it with a limited food truck event (say 3-4 trucks).  And I mean "different" food trucks like Tacos and Thai, not the usual wings and burgers deal.  It would be worth a try.....

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »

They have had to cut them back to fewer events, but do still have them, and with quality bands too.  I think they should try having them on a Saturday and combine it with a limited food truck event (say 3-4 trucks).  And I mean "different" food trucks like Tacos and Thai, not the usual wings and burgers deal.  It would be worth a try.....

I think that's an excellent idea. We have a summer concert series down here called "Music In The Park". It's a free event and you can bring in your own food and drink as long as you don't get crazy. I like the idea of the food trucks. I think you'd have a lot more people coming out to events like that, and especially on Saturday evenings as well.

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
As for a 5,000 seat Civic Center, that idea has already been tossed around. The proposed site would have been where the new NCI building now sits and the price tag for the center was around $25 Million. That was roughly 20 years ago.

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
As for a 5,000 seat Civic Center, that idea has already been tossed around. The proposed site would have been where the new NCI building now sits and the price tag for the center was around $25 Million. That was roughly 20 years ago.

5000 seats would be a bit much I think.  I recently went to Carrington Pavilion in Danville and saw a couple of bands.  That place is huge and turnout was dismal- about 50-100 people I would say. It was not good. 

The city and possibly a little bit of county could partner with the Rives/Roosterwalk bunch, knock out the walls between theatres, build a bigger stage, put in a better light and sound system and bring in bigger acts.  Rocky Mount has done well with the Harvester Center as an example. 

The county could build a small ampitheatre at the Soccer Complex or rent Roosterwalks portable stage.  The upcoming Smith River Fest usually draws a good crowd. 

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »

5000 seats would be a bit much I think.  I recently went to Carrington Pavilion in Danville and saw a couple of bands.  That place is huge and turnout was dismal- about 50-100 people I would say. It was not good. 

The city and possibly a little bit of county could partner with the Rives/Roosterwalk bunch, knock out the walls between theatres, build a bigger stage, put in a better light and sound system and bring in bigger acts.  Rocky Mount has done well with the Harvester Center as an example. 

The county could build a small ampitheatre at the Soccer Complex or rent Roosterwalks portable stage.  The upcoming Smith River Fest usually draws a good crowd.

i'm all for innovation and investment in the community, but the city as a municipality needs to stay as far away from funding ANYTHING as possible.

The same goes for the county if they are building a $70 million dollar jail...

it's my understanding the harvester hasn't broke even yet. that is funded with taxpayer money. Rives and Roosterwalk are self funded non-profits. I'll take that anyday over gov't funded entertainment like the mustangs.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
Hopefully those in the know who have some pull within the area will stumble across these threads and maybe find some ideas possible.

In regards to a Civic Center, 5,000 seats does sound like a lot. However, that's still smaller than the Salem Civic Center, which is much smaller than the Roanoke Civic Center (or I guess they call it the Bergland Center now.) I think you can't go too small, because then, you greatly reduce the type of events you can have at the center, which in turn, makes it difficult to book events that would bring people into Martinsville on a regular basis. You need to be big enough to book national recording artists, sports, comedians, etc..

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
there is about a 2500 seat auditorioum in the same building as the  civic center.that would be fine with me
albert einstein

RealConservative

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »
I ain't much for beach music but I am for beach drinks!!  ;)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
I ain't much for beach music but I am for beach drinks!!  ;)

Here, here!
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)