Author Topic: Road Money for Henry County?  (Read 1272 times)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Road Money for Henry County?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
two busiest events we have here outside of the july 4th celebration,are the two races here  in the spring and fall,common sense will tell anybody that wants that to continue for that to happen,we should keep our roads in great shape or we just may have one of the races to someplace else that makes more money and has better roads and a bigger audiences and higher profit for nascar too.

Personally, I think they could combine some other things with the event to make it more attractive for people to come out. They wouldn't need to change location, because I think Wayside Park is a great location. But, they need to do something different. One suggestion I heard was to combine it with a food truck festival. There are people who will travel to food truck festivals. It's a big, big thing outside of Martinsville. Another idea I had was to combine a wine festival/beer festival with it. Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival has a huge turnout every year. We just had our annual beer festival at the Greensboro Coliseum a few weeks ago, and that event attracts a massive amount of people. Now, of course, you'd have to have smaller versions of either one at the beach festival, but enough to attract new people. If they had a combination of a food truck festival, a beer festival, and wine festival, all rolled up into the beach festival, it would be a huge hit. I've been wanting to see what it would take to start such an event down this way, because people from this area would turn out for such an event. And I think they would gladly travel up to Patrick County for this event if it's set up right and it's advertised correctly.

We have a couple of beer festivals locally each year. Brewster Walk is coming uptown September 3rd. They will have live music and  plenty of brews to sample. The mustangs usually host one in early spring.

Food trucks have been picking up steam here locally. NCI has been hosting food truck thursdays this summer where a lot of food trucks are encouraged to come gather in at their main location. the new brewery in axton also has a different food truck every friday night when they have live music. We still have a ways to go, but they are gaining traction.

So, I know I'm ragging on the beach music festival a bit, but that's just because it's been my favorite events to go to since I was 21 years old. I'm now 42 and I still enjoy it. But, it needs major fixing. To me, this should be one of the major events of the area, because it used to be huge. It used to bring in people from all over. It used to take a long time just to get into the Park. Now, it's barely a shell of what it was.

You touched upon things that people are coming out for up there in Martinsville. Beer festivals and live music events. There's a large turnout of folks a the wine festival at Smith Mountain Lake every year.  You also touched upon the fact that the food trucks have been picking up steam. I know this for a fact that when you go to an event that has a variety of food trucks to choose from, it makes that event even more fun. I know of people who specifically follow food truck festivals.

Lastly, most everyone loves the beach. People love the sand, the surf, the bikini clad women and the beef cake guys. For some, they workout specifically to fit into that bathing suit in the summer.

So, having said all of that, why can't the beach music festival offer some of these things? This past year, they had one or two food trucks, that was it. You could still bring in your own cooler of refreshments, but I was told that it's possible this might be going away in the future. Would it cost them anything to combine this event with a handful of wineries who want to come out and have people taste their wine, and a handful of breweries for the same with their beer, and then have more food trucks come and set up? If it's marketed as a beer, wine, food truck festival centered around beach music, I think people would come out to it.

I wonder how much more they would need to charge people to get in for this? It's already $30 just for Saturday, but that's about 4 or 5 bands. That's with you bringing in your own cooler or having a whooping two food trucks to choose from. I know it's $25 to get into the wine festival, but then you have several food trucks there, plus live music. Don't know how much it is for the beer festivals in M'ville, but it's about $40 for the beer festival at the Coliseum (unlimited tasting) and $55 for VIP tasting. However, that's with over 80 breweries. The beach music festival wouldn't need that many breweries to come, because they would be sharing billing with wineries. 
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 08:45:55 PM »
I've never been to the beach festival, so I can't really say one way or another there.

The smith river wine fest is $15 adv/$20 gate

Brewster Walk is GA - $30 adv/$35 gate   VIP $55/$60 gate

Martinsville Mustangs Beer Fest $25

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
I've never been to the beach festival, so I can't really say one way or another there.

Approximately how many vendors are setup at these events?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »

I haven't been to the smith river fest but the others have at least a dozen breweries if not more.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »

I haven't been to the smith river fest but the others have at least a dozen breweries if not more.

The one I went to in Greensboro had 167 vendors. The VIP was $55, the general admission was $40.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »

The one I went to in Greensboro had 167 vendors. The VIP was $55, the general admission was $40.

Wow that's a ton. I bet there were 500 different beers there. That would be too many for me to remember. LoL They had good crowds at all of these events for the particular size.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »
never been to beachfest cause i aint into beach music.i think if we had beer and food festivals during the races,they would do really good.maybe even movie festivals too.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
never been to beachfest cause i aint into beach music.i think if we had beer and food festivals during the races,they would do really good.maybe even movie festivals too.

I feel like early April and late October are bad for night  outdoor events.

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »

They did bring in some larger musical acts  (Blackberry Smoke, John Anderson) with beer and food to a property adjacent to the track on race weekend for a couple of races.  It was called Turn 5 productions.  Unfortunately, it just didn't have the draw needed to continue.  Honestly, when folks get into the campgrounds, they stay there and don't leave for anything.  So, to do something that would draw that crowd, you gotta do it on race track property and it's gonna have to be really special to get folks to leave their campsites.  I don't see that happening. 

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

Wow that's a ton. I bet there were 500 different beers there. That would be too many for me to remember. LoL They had good crowds at all of these events for the particular size.

It's impossible to get through it all, lol! Unless your tolerance level is way up!

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »

They did bring in some larger musical acts  (Blackberry Smoke, John Anderson) with beer and food to a property adjacent to the track on race weekend for a couple of races.  It was called Turn 5 productions.  Unfortunately, it just didn't have the draw needed to continue.  Honestly, when folks get into the campgrounds, they stay there and don't leave for anything.  So, to do something that would draw that crowd, you gotta do it on race track property and it's gonna have to be really special to get folks to leave their campsites.  I don't see that happening.

I see this thread kind of bleeding over into the other thread I posted, but I like the idea of having events in different places around the area. Sometimes, it can be a detriment to a small area to have all of their events at one or two places, which kind of alienates other areas that people, otherwise, would never travel to.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

it was my understanding it stopped becuase they were hurting the local economy by fans not going out in town. i could be wrong tho

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
why not try to bring a concert around the fall and spring races at hookrt field or the big field in ridgeway? willie nelson or somebody.maybe even use the speedway?
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
Thats a good idea. The 4th of July concert and fireworks was always a good time when I was back in high school. They had Charlie Daniels Band once. Good show and great fireworks display.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32