Author Topic: Road Money for Henry County?  (Read 1271 times)

Common Sense

• View Profile
Road Money for Henry County?
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
This is a good writeup about the happening on infrastructure improvements for Henry County, and Martinsville:

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/where-is-the-road-money-for-henry-county/article_11642928-71d4-11e7-b682-6f52f2055e89.html

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Resident Engineer Lisa Hughes was asked if she could provide the Board of Supervisors with a document outlining how much the state’s VDOT construction allocation for Henry County has decreased over the last 20 years.

Where do yall think this could be heading? Even our small town should get some piece of the infrastructure attention.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Road Money for Henry County?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:59:45 PM »
Ya'll need the funding to get I-73 built through your area. That is the only way you're ever going to see Martinsville and Henry County truly grow again.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
Meanwhile, I-73 through Greensboro is complete, 4 lane 220 to Battleground is close to completion and the monster interchange at  North Battleground is humming along. 

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »
Henry County can go the route that NOVA and Hampton Roads did to get extra road money.

Form a coalition with areas running from Roanoke, south through Henry County and east to include Danville and Pittsylvania County to ask the General Assembly to approve an additional % paid to the state sales tax for the region. Extra % in state sales tax will fund road projects in the region.

if you are waiting for the state and feds to get funding for I73 then that wait is going to last a long long time.

Are residents there prepared to pay extra tax $$$ for roads in the region?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
To do that, it would have to have population explosion. Fairfax County, Arlington, Alexandria, became over populated around early 2002.

This area just needs cohesive infrastructure planning. And....folks in this area need tax reform to stop paying for road up in the DC suburbs!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
To do that, it would have to have population explosion. Fairfax County, Arlington, Alexandria, became over populated around early 2002.

This area just needs cohesive infrastructure planning. And....folks in this area need tax reform to stop paying for road up in the DC suburbs!

Yeah, but it's kind of like a chicken and egg thing. You need population explosion to have the necessarily taxes paid to help fund things like I-73, but you need things like I-73 to help with exploding the population. I suspect in about 10 years, the Oak Ridge area down here in NC will have grown so much that I'll need to think about moving further back into Stokesdale to have more of a quieter, country living experience. The new roads built around our area is just going to open up so many massive new projects for this area, that I see G'boro growing substantially. Now yeah, that's a bit of a rah-rah go home team type of response, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. 
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »
two busiest events we have here outside of the july 4th celebration,are the two races here  in the spring and fall,common sense will tell anybody that wants that to continue for that to happen,we should keep our roads in great shape or we just may have one of the races to someplace else that makes more money and has better roads and a bigger audiences and higher profit for nascar too.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
two busiest events we have here outside of the july 4th celebration,are the two races here  in the spring and fall,common sense will tell anybody that wants that to continue for that to happen,we should keep our roads in great shape or we just may have one of the races to someplace else that makes more money and has better roads and a bigger audiences and higher profit for nascar too.

I-73 would also help to easily bring in more out of towners to the NASCAR event. It's almost like throwing a lasso around a neighboring city and pulling it closer to your guys. The new roads that has helped to bypass much of 68 down here has really help to speed up rush hour traffic heading back into VA. Also helps with my commute home as well. Before, I would get stuck in a huge line of bumper to bumper traffic on 68. Now, no more bad traffic.

Things like a new interstate works wonders for areas that need revitalization.

Now, as far as events in Martinsville, there are existing events that I think need to be re-worked to attract more people to the area. Such as the Beach Music Festival. I have been going to that thing for over 20 years, and each year, it gets smaller and smaller, and the crowd gets older and older (yes, I get older too!) They turned it into a three day, camping event, but it hasn't helped the actually main event itself, which happens on Saturday. This past event, I swear, I think that was the smallest turn out to the festival I have ever seen. We look at events like Floyd Fest and Rooster Walk, and those events continue to grow. I worked Floyd Fest one year (only year I've gotten to go), and man, that was a HUGE event! I've never gotten to go to Rooster Walk, but would love to. Those events tell you that people love outdoor concert festivals, and there's no reason why the beach music festival can't still be as attractive as those events. The problem is, there's no advertising. Yes, they have a Facebook account, but you see no visible signs about it around town. Nothing down here in Greensboro.

Personally, I think they could combine some other things with the event to make it more attractive for people to come out. They wouldn't need to change location, because I think Wayside Park is a great location. But, they need to do something different. One suggestion I heard was to combine it with a food truck festival. There are people who will travel to food truck festivals. It's a big, big thing outside of Martinsville. Another idea I had was to combine a wine festival/beer festival with it. Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival has a huge turnout every year. We just had our annual beer festival at the Greensboro Coliseum a few weeks ago, and that event attracts a massive amount of people. Now, of course, you'd have to have smaller versions of either one at the beach festival, but enough to attract new people. If they had a combination of a food truck festival, a beer festival, and wine festival, all rolled up into the beach festival, it would be a huge hit. I've been wanting to see what it would take to start such an event down this way, because people from this area would turn out for such an event. And I think they would gladly travel up to Patrick County for this event if it's set up right and it's advertised correctly. 

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
One of the things that's going to help with our NASCAR side is that Martinsville Speedways is putting in lights to make nigh races! The night races are the most watched races in the season, and always a sellout. This was a great move as it has been the case for years that attendance overall has gone down across NASCAR tracks.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
One of the things that's going to help with our NASCAR side is that Martinsville Speedways is putting in lights to make nigh races! The night races are the most watched races in the season, and always a sellout. This was a great move as it has been the case for years that attendance overall has gone down across NASCAR tracks.

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but I would definitely go to a night race.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
Honestly, in this day in age with NASCAR, putting up lights to make a night race may have saved the Speedway.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 12:22:57 AM »

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but I would definitely go to a night race.

September 23rd is the first official night race under the new permanent lights. The Valley Star 300(Late Model Division) is the best race anywhere IMO.

Demand for tickets appears to be high. It looks like the speedway has already sold out of the $550 champions overlook spots that is right on the backstretch. The backstretch area behind that with power is also sold out at $50 for the weekend.

The speedway is selling camping areas for this event that they have never sold for this event as well. The normal cup weekend driver owner motor coach lot is open to fans for $100. They even opened the big campground this time for $25 for the weekend.

This event is really creating a small third cup race weekend. MRN radio is going to cover the race for the first time to my knowledge !(I hope Bill jumps on that for 1450 WMVA ;D)  NBC sports has the rights to all NASCAR weekly and "home track" series. They may televise it on a tape delay basis. The modified race set the record for a non-cup race weekend crowd about a decade ago when they brought the temporary lights. history appears to be trying to repeat itself...

http://www.martinsvillespeedway.com/Articles/2017/07/MRN-To-Call-ValleyStar-Credit-Union-300.aspx
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:34:03 AM by LpMv2407 »

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 12:24:17 AM »
Honestly, in this day in age with NASCAR, putting up lights to make a night race may have saved the Speedway.

I think it's amazing how the speedway did it too. no power off the grid. It's all self contained and the first motorsport facility in the US to have LED lights. That's something to be proud of!

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 12:30:55 AM »

I-73 would also help to easily bring in more out of towners to the NASCAR event. It's almost like throwing a lasso around a neighboring city and pulling it closer to your guys. The new roads that has helped to bypass much of 68 down here has really help to speed up rush hour traffic heading back into VA. Also helps with my commute home as well. Before, I would get stuck in a huge line of bumper to bumper traffic on 68. Now, no more bad traffic.

the thing that is really going to help bring race fans is when they finish the new winston salem bypass around 40 they are building. that could possibly cut travel time between here and charlotte to under 2 hours. couple that with 73 and that will definitely turbo charge things.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 12:40:43 AM »

Personally, I think they could combine some other things with the event to make it more attractive for people to come out. They wouldn't need to change location, because I think Wayside Park is a great location. But, they need to do something different. One suggestion I heard was to combine it with a food truck festival. There are people who will travel to food truck festivals. It's a big, big thing outside of Martinsville. Another idea I had was to combine a wine festival/beer festival with it. Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival has a huge turnout every year. We just had our annual beer festival at the Greensboro Coliseum a few weeks ago, and that event attracts a massive amount of people. Now, of course, you'd have to have smaller versions of either one at the beach festival, but enough to attract new people. If they had a combination of a food truck festival, a beer festival, and wine festival, all rolled up into the beach festival, it would be a huge hit. I've been wanting to see what it would take to start such an event down this way, because people from this area would turn out for such an event. And I think they would gladly travel up to Patrick County for this event if it's set up right and it's advertised correctly.

We have a couple of beer festivals locally each year. Brewster Walk is coming uptown September 3rd. They will have live music and  plenty of brews to sample. The mustangs usually host one in early spring.

Food trucks have been picking up steam here locally. NCI has been hosting food truck thursdays this summer where a lot of food trucks are encouraged to come gather in at their main location. the new brewery in axton also has a different food truck every friday night when they have live music. We still have a ways to go, but they are gaining traction.