Author Topic: Martinsville = Highest Opioids use In Nation  (Read 1264 times)

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: Martinsville = Highest Opioids use In Nation
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
And what, specifically, is your point of on the opioid crisis in Martinsville, Virginia? Another opportunity to rant about President Obama?

I'll go back to what Bill said above:
"So Obamacare insureds are more likely the problem? Doctor's "drugging up the old folks?" If this is the case, could you please cite at least one example of a local physician being cited or arrested for doing so? "

And Solon that was a good idea:
"Clearly we need a more complete medical survey if we are to understand all aspects of local usage before a plan can be implemented to reduce it."

So how do we go about regulating that problem?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 04:11:27 AM »
If this is really the case, I would expect our area to have a higher rate of "illegal" drugs as well. people who become addicted on opioids seek cheaper means like meth and heroin. it could also happen if their prescription runs out.  It's all a cycle.

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
If this is really the case, I would expect our area to have a higher rate of "illegal" drugs as well. people who become addicted on opioids seek cheaper means like meth and heroin. it could also happen if their prescription runs out.  It's all a cycle.

That could be the case. Look at the Henry County Jail. They are having to pay other localities for house their inmates. Wonder what the % is of all the County inmates that are there due to drug offenses?

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »
This article from Foreign Affairs makes a solution to Martinsville's problem seem intractable. I suppose that is no surprise since it only mirrors the national situation. It does offer a suggestion as to where we could begin to get the information needed to plan for the reduction in opioid usage. PDMP's are an existing survey methodology. I have no experience in the medical arena, so perhaps there is someone who can comment on the possibility of utilizing this locally. 

While objections to public spending are one barrier to expanding treatment, objections to government regulation—embodied in the Trump campaign’s promise to repeal two old regulations for every new one adopted—are a barrier to reducing the supply of diverted prescription pills. The current crisis is partly the result of inadequate regulation.

Much of the necessary power lies at the state, rather than the federal, level. State medical boards should be more aggressive in revoking the licenses of pill-peddling practitioners, instead of leaving the problem for the police to handle. Databases of opioid prescriptions (called Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, or PDMPs), which states are increasingly using, can help physicians and pharmacists spot pill-seeking patients, shrinking the supply of pills on the illicit market. But those databases are full of personal information that needs protecting; designing databases that are both secure and easy to use is difficult and expensive. Consulting a state’s PDMP also takes up clinicians’ scarce time, and without regulations or incentives to encourage their use, PDMPs won’t work.

The current crisis is partly the result of inadequate regulation.
None of these moves would address the availability of heroin and fentanyl. Indeed, if physicians deny users opioids, or if the price of illicit prescription opioids begins to rise as the supply falls, demand for heroin and fentanyl will rise, possibly raising death rates, at least in the short run. In 2014, deaths from overdosing on prescription opioids fell, but deaths from fentanyl overdoses almost doubled.

As long as there is demand, preventing those cheaper drugs from entering the country will be almost impossible. More than a million cargo containers cross the United States’ borders every month; any one of them could hold enough heroin to supply the country for that month or enough fentanyl to supply it for a year. Cracking down on the retail supply has become much harder since drug dealers started connecting with customers by cell phone rather than by loitering on street corners. Policing is expensive: annual police budgets nationwide total more than $100 billion. Ramping up operations against opioids would require either spending more money or doing less of something else: enforcing other drug laws or suppressing predatory crime, for example. Imprisoning more dealers would require letting other offenders out or reversing the widely desired decrease in the U.S. prison population, which now stands at five times its historical level and seven times the average rate of other rich democracies.

Cracking down on opioid prescribing could also make it much harder for people in genuine pain to receive relief. Opioids are often not the best way to manage pain, especially chronic, nonterminal pain: patients often need help changing patterns of work, stress, exercise, and diet. But too few health-care providers understand these approaches, and many insurers will not pay for them. Prescribing some pills is much cheaper than providing physical therapy.

A long-term solution would require better clinical practice and new drugs on the market both for pain relief and for opioid-dependency treatment. Buprenorphine, for example, a fairly cheap generic drug used in substitution therapy, can also relieve pain, and it carries a very low risk of overdose. But it is currently packaged and marketed primarily for treating opioid addiction and severe chronic pain; internists are more likely to prescribe the more dangerous hydrocodone or oxycodone. A drug company that wanted to make buprenorphine a routine pain drug would have to put a new formulation through a long, expensive regulatory process at the Food and Drug Administration, with no guarantee of regulatory success or sufficient clinical acceptance to recoup its investment.

High Stakes
The Future of U.S. Drug Policy
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2017-02-13/high-stakes
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
PDMP's are already in place here Solon. No one can go to a doctor and get a prescription, get it filled at one pharmacy and then go to another doctor, get the same prescription, then have it filled at the pharmacy across the street. They've got it down now to prescriptions with refills won't get filled until the prescribed dosage is due to be used up. Along with the program is the requirement that prescribed meds meeting the list must be prescribed by the doctor and given to the patient, or if by another person that person must allow themselves to be Id'd complete with copy of driver's license. Then there is the system in place at the doctor's office. The patient is now subject to random drug tests by the regulatory authorities to make sure they have the drug they are prescribed in their system. No more getting drugs and selling them and getting away with it. Quite frankly, I just don't see how the current system is being faked, if it is. It's getting damn hard for a legitimate patient to get a legitimate prescription filled anymore. I can only guess how it is for someone trying to scam the system.

As far as this:
State medical boards should be more aggressive in revoking the licenses of pill-peddling practitioners

We see cases being prosecuted at the Federal level in Roanoke. Pill pushing physicians in the region are getting caught and convicted. Does it make any sense at all why no Doctor in Martinsville has been so much as cited or charged? Could it be they are all acting within the laws and ethics required of them?

I still suggest that if you go to a hospice facility or chronic pain facility, or cancer center and compare the usage of medicine compared to a group of athletes in their 20's you'll find the difference to be striking. Since they have already studied us an concluded we are the unhealthiest bunch in the U.S. why it is so shocking we would therefore be in need of the most medicine?
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
PDMP's are already in place here Solon. No one can go to a doctor and get a prescription, get it filled at one pharmacy and then go to another doctor, get the same prescription, then have it filled at the pharmacy across the street. They've got it down now to prescriptions with refills won't get filled until the prescribed dosage is due to be used up. Along with the program is the requirement that prescribed meds meeting the list must be prescribed by the doctor and given to the patient, or if by another person that person must allow themselves to be Id'd complete with copy of driver's license. Then there is the system in place at the doctor's office. The patient is now subject to random drug tests by the regulatory authorities to make sure they have the drug they are prescribed in their system. No more getting drugs and selling them and getting away with it. Quite frankly, I just don't see how the current system is being faked, if it is. It's getting damn hard for a legitimate patient to get a legitimate prescription filled anymore. I can only guess how it is for someone trying to scam the system.

As far as this:
State medical boards should be more aggressive in revoking the licenses of pill-peddling practitioners

We see cases being prosecuted at the Federal level in Roanoke. Pill pushing physicians in the region are getting caught and convicted. Does it make any sense at all why no Doctor in Martinsville has been so much as cited or charged? Could it be they are all acting within the laws and ethics required of them?

I still suggest that if you go to a hospice facility or chronic pain facility, or cancer center and compare the usage of medicine compared to a group of athletes in their 20's you'll find the difference to be striking. Since they have already studied us an concluded we are the unhealthiest bunch in the U.S. why it is so shocking we would therefore be in need of the most medicine?

Thanks Bill. I believe that explains everything we needed to know about our circumstances. It certainly answers my questions.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
Thanks, Bill. This was good to read, especially the assertion that "Pill pushing physicians in the region are getting caught and convicted. Does it make any sense at all why no Doctor in Martinsville has been so much as cited or charged? Could it be they are all acting within the laws and ethics required of them? "

Now, what do we good to reverse this course?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
As Earl Pitts used to say "You know what makes me upset?.... You know what makes me angry?" ... it's the bright idea that assumes all the doctors are suddenly incompetent opportunists. So in all of our governmental wisdom the solution is to force the people who are trained to diagnose and treat sick people discontinue or reduce what they determine is the best treatment for their patient. In other words, take the medicine away from the sick people who need it. That'll solve the problem, right. The answer is obviously to improve the overall health of the people in the community. These studies all show the same thing... communities with higher income and education levels are healthier. Solutions toward this end are being implemented but it's obviously a long term deal and ultimately the success or failure will depend on the people who live here. The opportunity exists right now for people here to improve their standard of living and improve their level of education, but you can't make them. It comes down to individuals making good decisions about themselves.

This constant berating of Martinsville is an obsession with Superman and it naturally makes us defensive. I respect his right to voice his opinion, but it sure makes this forum in general an unpleasant place to visit. I wonder how many people don't participate here because of it.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
As Earl Pitts used to say "You know what makes me upset?.... You know what makes me angry?" ... it's the bright idea that assumes all the doctors are suddenly incompetent opportunists. So in all of our governmental wisdom the solution is to force the people who are trained to diagnose and treat sick people discontinue or reduce what they determine is the best treatment for their patient. In other words, take the medicine away from the sick people who need it. That'll solve the problem, right. The answer is obviously to improve the overall health of the people in the community. These studies all show the same thing... communities with higher income and education levels are healthier. Solutions toward this end are being implemented but it's obviously a long term deal and ultimately the success or failure will depend on the people who live here. The opportunity exists right now for people here to improve their standard of living and improve their level of education, but you can't make them. It comes down to individuals making good decisions about themselves.

This constant berating of Martinsville is an obsession with Superman and it naturally makes us defensive. I respect his right to voice his opinion, but it sure makes this forum in general an unpleasant place to visit. I wonder how many people don't participate here because of it.

Superman moved out of the area many years ago. You would assume if he is truly that disgruntled about the place, that he would have nothing to do with it. Me, I moved out of the area five years ago, but I still consider the area home to me. I still want to see the best for it and I want it to grow. Because, I left behind a lot of great people that live in that town who deserve nothing less than the best. I want the place to grow. I want it to be a place that rivals Roanoke and Greensboro. I don't know if I will ever see that in my lifetime or not, but I truly love the area.

Having said that, I have learned a lot being down here in Greensboro. Greensboro has had its suffering with unemployment and closing doors as well, but it still continues to innovate and move forward. There's more money and opportunity down here to allow the area to do so, which puts places like Martinsville at a disadvantage, but I totally believe that M&HC could be just like G'boro if given the chance and taking those chances.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
Skinsguy- I, too, moved away years ago but MHC will always been home as its where I was raised and most of my family still lives here. I'm home to visit fairly regularly.

I think calling him "superman" is a bit dated. For a guy who logs on to bash and belittled our hometown....perhaps the new moniker should be something like "InsignificantGuy" or "UnexceptionalDude" could be a better fit?

I shouldn't stoop to that level but I feel the need to stick up for our homeland.

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
Skinsguy- I, too, moved away years ago but MHC will always been home as its where I was raised and most of my family still lives here. I'm home to visit fairly regularly.

I think calling him "superman" is a bit dated. For a guy who logs on to bash and belittled our hometown....perhaps the new moniker should be something like "InsignificantGuy" or "UnexceptionalDude" could be a better fit?

I shouldn't stoop to that level but I feel the need to stick up for our homeland.

LOL! for real! And I'll admit that whenever I read about the officer holders in Martinsville being resistant to this or that, it does frustrate me, because I'm in an area where I see progress, and I really think there are some people in charge who simply think too small and have no faith in taking chances. But, at the same time, they are more in the know than I am, so unless I deal with what they deal with on a daily basis, it's probably unfair for me to say that. But given the fact that my hometown has always been in a great location, sandwiched between two decent cities (Greensboro and Roanoke), right there so close to places like Smith Mountain Lake as well as college towns like Blacksburg, you'd think somehow, someway, someone with the business smarts can see potential, even if it does mean attracting works from all over the region, not just Martinsville.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
Interesting. Bill blames me because not many people post on this forum. Seems to be that most who post on this forum do not currently live in Martinsville & Henry County. So where are all the local residents on this forum? Surely if things are all good there and I am wrong in my opinions then local people who actually live there would chime in and tout good things local.

As for Common Sense, well you are entitled to your opinions and I am mine. I call it like I see it. I moved away from Martinsville/Henry County 12 years but I am down there at least once every month.

This is my typical encounter when I go there for a weekend trip. On my last trip, July 1st, when my wife and I got there and I picked up my mother around noon that day we decided for lunch we all wanted to go to Walch's Chicken and More for lunch. Driving through the uptown area traffic, (both pedestrian and vehicular), was very light, bordering on no traffic at all. When we got to Walch's, again on a early Saturday afternoon, we pull up only to find a sign in the front door stating they are closed on Saturdays. When they were open on Starling Ave. they were never closed on the weekend. As we moved on and drove through town, we noticed that several stores were closed for business on Saturdays.

We ended up eating at House of Sirloin, which was pretty busy. After lunch, we proceeded over to Wal Mart, which was packed. Kind of explains why stores were not open in Uptown Martinsville. Seems majority of people shop at Wal Mart there.

My point here is that the place where I was raised is not that place anymore. I grew up in Bassett. they used to have factories (jobs) and stores in Bassett. Not anymore. Much like uptown Martinsville it is a ghost town during the day. Same for Fieldale. I remember going to Joyce's Drug Store and getting ice cream. Going to Martinsville in the past meant you actually had to watch out for traffic if you were out walking from store to store and store fronts were full and open. Not anymore.

When my wife and I travel back there these days we see for sale signs on a lot houses and commercial buildings. When you read a story about Martinsville/Henry County in the local, regional or national media it is usually a negative story. I just create threads on this forum about these stories. I do not create the stories. Some of you characters whine and complain about me posting threads about these stories on this forum. Why? Are you ashamed of the stories? Embarrassed about the stories?

Bill - You are a local business leader there. What have you or are you doing to change the area? Throw in Charles Roark and the Martinsville Bulletin.

Apparently some of you either can't handle or want to hide the truth about what is going on down there and do not want to talk about these issues.

Bill, why don't you create a simple rule for your forum. No negative comments/stories about Martinsville/Henry County are now allowed on this forum. That way several of you can remember your time growing up there in the past and can ignore the current issues there. it just seems to be a revolving door and what negative is going to happen there next. Sad part is, there are still people there in leadership positions that were there back when I left. If you have the same old people in charge doing the same old things that have not worked in the past how can anyone expect the area to move forward.

Skinsguy was right about one thing. When you leave  Martinsville/Henry County and move to another area, it is like night and day the progress you see in other communities and how Martinsville/Henry County seems to be stuck in time.

Progress?

http://www.insidenova.com/news/business/prince_william/minnieville-lot-eyed-for-million-medical-center/article_10c3d2d2-6b05-11e7-98ff-43e5f9fd8902.html

Announced today. A new $200 million urgent care canter, pharmacy and labs for Manassas and Prince William County by Kaiser Permanente.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:14:31 PM by superman »

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
he is right superman,you are an annoying personks you got all the answers and belittles the area every chance you get.you sit back in judgement here,like you are better than anybody that lives here.
i think you are a mean spirited man who despite living far away just loves to act like a real big shot.most of us who know you,have no respect for you.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
I post here to put out opinions. I do not create the constant bad news coming from there. Funny, no one calls out Bill's local news, the Martinsville Bulletin or Star news on this forum when they report these same articles.

Whether it is opioids, issues with the Martinsville City Schools, $70 Million for a proposed new jail that will only be good for 10 years, issues with what to do with NCI and their financial issues, the city taxpayers constantly having to lose money on bad decisions made by Martinsville City Council, etc.  Forsuch a small area it sure does seem to be a constant flow of bad news.

So Cubs, what have you done to improve things there? What are your ideas? Do you volunteer to serve on any local county boards or organizations?

At least I can say I have put forward ideas in addition to the critical comments I have made. How about you or do you like the status of the area tio remain the same which seems to be the case with you?

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »
most of the kids who died here from opiods have not died by popping pills,they have died from heroin mixedor cut with fentanyl,which is given to terminal cancer patients.as long as there is a demand for this,somebody will supply it.i am not being critical of local LEOS,but they have to find a way to get ahold of a supplier cause busting these people undercover for a small amount is not really leading or doing much.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein