Author Topic: Martinsville = Highest Opioids use In Nation  (Read 1675 times)

superman

• View Profile
Martinsville = Highest Opioids use In Nation
« on: July 08, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
Interesting article.  Did you know that doctors in Martinsville prescribed almost 4,090 morphine milligram equivalents per person? The national average is 640 milligram equivalents per person.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/07/07/opioids-per-person-national-leader/

jonas_24112

• View Profile
Re: Martinsville = Highest Opioids use In Nation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
It does not surprise me.  However, I wonder if there is a way to look at the age of the population as well.  Something tells me that our population is a bit older than the average.  I think that may bring it down some.  Again....it doesn't surprise me. 

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
Age as well as the previous or present occupation of users are undoubtedly factors. Retirees in this area were predominantly engaged in physical labor where the effects bring on back, leg, foot, joint, and other pain. This is an issue with raising the Social Security retirement age, where studies reveal how people engaged in physical labor are disadvantaged compared with those who are not. The data also cannot account for Martinsville sales to residents of Henry and Patrick Counties which has the effect of exaggerating the city's average. Even considering that caveat, it's no surprise that Martinsville and the surrounding area are at or near the top. 
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Age as well as the previous or present occupation of users are undoubtedly factors. Retirees in this area were predominantly engaged in physical labor where the effects bring on back, leg, foot, joint, and other pain. This is an issue with raising the Social Security retirement age, where studies reveal how people engaged in physical labor are disadvantaged compared with those who are not. The data also cannot account for Martinsville sales to residents of Henry and Patrick Counties which has the effect of exaggerating the city's average. Even considering that caveat, it's no surprise that Martinsville and the surrounding area are at or near the top.

Henry County has a large share of drug stores so I do not by into  "the city gets a lot of county prescription drug business' idea. it is just another sad tale of what has happened to the area. On many levels the local area there is not what it used to be.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
The Editorial Board of the Martinsville Bulletin has a very good writeup on it this morning:

We need to treat the problem, not the symptom

If the goal is to actually stop the opioid epidemic, then it seems like a two-fold solution is needed. First, we have got to cut down on the amount of opioids provided to patients. That's not a maybe. Not an if. That's something we must do. We have to look at alternatives. In a city with a population of less than 14,000, we are giving out more than three times the average amount of opioids to patients. It's clear that strategy blew up on us and so step one has to be to cut back.

Step two is also pretty simple, it seems to us. We have to establish programs to help those already struggling with addiction to get back on their feet. This is where we can agree with the state. Yes, you do need to provide resources for addicts. They need to know what programs are available, how to sign up and what's involved. What they don't need are free needles.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/opinion/editorial-we-need-to-treat-the-problem-not-the-symptom/article_e1e90c70-65c8-11e7-bfc6-87acbd50abc6.html
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
The Editorial Board of the Martinsville Bulletin has a very good writeup on it this morning:

We need to treat the problem, not the symptom

If the goal is to actually stop the opioid epidemic, then it seems like a two-fold solution is needed. First, we have got to cut down on the amount of opioids provided to patients. That's not a maybe. Not an if. That's something we must do. We have to look at alternatives. In a city with a population of less than 14,000, we are giving out more than three times the average amount of opioids to patients. It's clear that strategy blew up on us and so step one has to be to cut back.

Step two is also pretty simple, it seems to us. We have to establish programs to help those already struggling with addiction to get back on their feet. This is where we can agree with the state. Yes, you do need to provide resources for addicts. They need to know what programs are available, how to sign up and what's involved. What they don't need are free needles.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/opinion/editorial-we-need-to-treat-the-problem-not-the-symptom/article_e1e90c70-65c8-11e7-bfc6-87acbd50abc6.html

There are resources in Martinsville for addicts. Piedmont Community Services is a wonderful example. What the state needs to do is to provide more funding to places like PCS to provide sufficient staff and programs to help counter the drug problems in that area.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

Henry County has a large share of drug stores so I do not by into  "the city gets a lot of county prescription drug business' idea. it is just another sad tale of what has happened to the area. On many levels the local area there is not what it used to be.

I think the large proportion of residents who engaged in manual labor is a far more significant factor in opioid use than the purchase of prescriptions by city outsiders, so this is not much of an issue for me. I do know that the the largest number of CVS prescriptions by far was issued by the East Church Street store that sells to a lot of county residents. That was true in the early 1990s when my son worked there. The CVS store near the old K Mart had a similar clientele.

Providing relief from chronic pain can be a welcome benefit and curbing that may be difficult to accomplish if all of the medication consumed locally serves that purpose. At this point it seems that we have a crude data point that tells us nothing about who is using and why our numbers are so high. Clearly we need a more complete medical survey if we are to understand all aspects of local usage before a plan can be implemented to reduce it.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Extremely well said Solon. My sentiments on this issue exactly.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
It's easy to kick a bulldog when he's down.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »
Well said, both Solon and Riggins!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Whatever happened to the days of aspercreame and aprin for pain relief? Sounds like doctors down there are drugging up the old folks. Of course, giving them prescriptions gives both doctors and the drug stores plenty of business.

Wonder how many patients are on Obamacare?

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »
Whatever happened to the days of aspercreame and aprin for pain relief? Sounds like doctors down there are drugging up the old folks. Of course, giving them prescriptions gives both doctors and the drug stores plenty of business.

Republicans have successfully blocked Medicaid expansion in Virginia, so it is unlikely Obamacare has been a significant factor locally. Medicare would provide coverage for retirees anyway. DuPont retirees receive an insurance subsidy that allows them to purchase supplementary insurance on the open market. I don't know about other former local employers.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »

So Obamacare insureds are more likely the problem? Doctor's "drugging up the old folks?" If this is the case, could you please cite at least one example of a local physician being cited or arrested for doing so?
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »

Republicans have successfully blocked Medicaid expansion in Virginia, so it is unlikely Obamacare has been a significant factor locally. Medicare would provide coverage for retirees anyway. DuPont retirees receive an insurance subsidy that allows them to purchase supplementary insurance on the open market. I don't know about other former local employers.

I think people tend to get confused on the difference between Medicaid and Medicare. They think they're one in the same, but they're not.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
Medicare was created back in the 60' to help take care of the elderly.

Medicaid was created at roughly the same time to help the indigent.

Obama and the Democrats, under Obamacare, significantly increased by millions the number of people who can qualify for Medicaid.  The result is a huge increase in the numbers of people getting Medicaid. Roughly 70 million Americans now get Medicaid. What is the point in working when you can get on the government social rolls.