Author Topic: NFL 2017 Season  (Read 3268 times)

superman

• View Profile
NFL 2017 Season
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
Training camps for the 2017 NFL season get underway in three weeks. My team, the New York Giants, look to improve on their 11-5 2016 season record. On offense they added WR Brandon Marshall but did little to improve the offensive line, which at times was very offensive last year as the Giants had no ground game and QB Eli Manning had little time to throw the ball.  On defense, the Giants return most of the starting lineup from last year, which as a unit performed great. New York opens the regular season at Dallas.

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: NFL 2017 Season
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
Brandon Marshall gives Eli 2 high quality receiving targets from the get go! A close buddy of mine is a die-hard Giants/Rangers fan, and hosts a Fox Sports radio show. I get to hear the grit and grime. And its going to be vital for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to stay healthy, as he's a playmaker and with him out last year in the wild card game Aaron Rodgers was able to shread through that secondary.

Taking a tight end in the 1st round was a good call. Between OJ Howard and Evan Engram there were 2 good options for high caliber TEs that could block and pass, and Engram should fit in well with Giants offense.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »
Should we have a Martinsville Chat Fantasy League?!?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
My Redskins have greatly improved the defense over the offseason, so I'm eagerly awaiting to see how that pans out. I hated that we cut Garcon and Jackson loose, but I am just fine with Pryor, and Doctson is healthy this year. Along with Reed and Jamison, I have no worries about our wide receivers. Running back will be interesting. Pedine looked like a beast in college, but I'm hearing that he's slow to catch on during the mandatory training days back in June, so we'll see how that works out. Fat Rob will still be the main feature back.

Should be a very competitive NFC East this year.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
No offense- I think the Skins will be lucky to go out of the cellar in the NFC East. They've fired the GM, lost the deep threat of Desean Jackson, lost Pierre Garcon who was the most efficient pass catcher on the squad, not signing a veteran linebacker, and fumbling again with the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins are amongst the biggest ills. They let some of their MOST talented players walk away. Then overpaid for a converted college quarterback who played wideout for the Browns.

The Cowboys and the Giants are going to be an interesting battle for the top of the NFC East. Skins and Eagles will scrap to see who can get a higher draft pick next year

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
No offense- I think the Skins will be lucky to go out of the cellar in the NFC East. They've fired the GM, lost the deep threat of Desean Jackson, lost Pierre Garcon who was the most efficient pass catcher on the squad, not signing a veteran linebacker, and fumbling again with the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins are amongst the biggest ills. They let some of their MOST talented players walk away. Then overpaid for a converted college quarterback who played wideout for the Browns.

The Cowboys and the Giants are going to be an interesting battle for the top of the NFC East. Skins and Eagles will scrap to see who can get a higher draft pick next year

I would expect a Giants or Cowboys fan to think this way. You're going to be in for a rude awakening.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
I think the Redskins will finish 3rd, besting the Eagles but 1 game.

But I do hope Deangelo Hall and Kendall Fuller make the Pro Bowl, and that Vinston Painter gets to make the rull roster!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »
Go Phins!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Go Phins!

What do you think about Miami's chances this year? They were strong last season. Ryan Tannehill and Ajayi were bright, and if they can stay health and dish it out again the Phins got a good shot to go back to the playoffs.

And look for Isaiah Ford to make a splash for 'Rookie of the Year'  ;)

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
I think the Redskins will finish 3rd, besting the Eagles but 1 game.

But I do hope Deangelo Hall and Kendall Fuller make the Pro Bowl, and that Vinston Painter gets to make the rull roster!

I think the Redskins are going to be a lot better than what people are thinking. Yes, there was drama concerning Scot McCloughan, yes the 'skins fired their DC and half of the defensive coaches (they needed to), and yes, they got rid of Jackson and Garcon. And yes, so far, Cousins hasn't signed (the deadline approaching but still time.)

Having said that, they return a much younger, healthier squad to the field this year, behind a QB who's entering his third full season as the starter, plenty of depth at RB, very young and talented at WR, a lot added to the defense on one year prove it deals, etc. There's been reports during OTAs that the squad has had their best, most crisp practices that they have ever had in years, and the new defensive coaches are doing a great job with teaching technique, placing the players in the right spots, etc.. a lot of good things coming out of OTAs, free agency, and the draft.

Meanwhile, Dallas has lost defensive players, have a lot of defensive players suspended. There are big question marks on that side of the ball. I expect the offensive side of the ball to be just fine, so as long as Zeke doesn't get himself suspended. As far as the Giants, they'll either be between 11-5 or 8-8. I expect them to have improved, as well as the Eagles. In fact, I believe the entire NFC East is going to be neck in neck, so it's quite possible that the distance between first place and last place is a matter of a couple games.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
For Dallas, I'm hesitant that Ezekiel Elliott can run through, around, and inside-and-out of the entire league again in his sophomore season. The NFC East will be a wild rodeo for sure!

But I maintain that the Giants are my pick to with it by a nose. They've got proven depth and their signing of Brandon Marshall gives Eli the best weapons at receiving in the division.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
For Dallas, I'm hesitant that Ezekiel Elliott can run through, around, and inside-and-out of the entire league again in his sophomore season. The NFC East will be a wild rodeo for sure!

But I maintain that the Giants are my pick to with it by a nose. They've got proven depth and their signing of Brandon Marshall gives Eli the best weapons at receiving in the division.

We'll see. Eli is still Eli. Often the Giants lose because he throws an untimely INT. At the same time, Eli has been the reason why they have two SB rings.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

We'll see. Eli is still Eli. Often the Giants lose because he throws an untimely INT. At the same time, Eli has been the reason why they have two SB rings.
[/quote]

Youre right on that one- Eli is consistent as gravy. Either he's on fire, or he's overly salty and diluted. I just think with Brandon Marshall coming onboard they'll have a great 2nd target after Odell and better YAC. That will pad his stats for those ill-timed throws he's prone to make.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »
Go Phins!

What do you think about Miami's chances this year? They were strong last season. Ryan Tannehill and Ajayi were bright, and if they can stay health and dish it out again the Phins got a good shot to go back to the playoffs.

And look for Isaiah Ford to make a splash for 'Rookie of the Year'  ;)
We improved greatly last year even making the playoffs,and would have went deeper if not for injuries,mainly to QB1 but I am hoping for us to improve more this year.I really like our coach.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »
Uhhh.... 2016 Redskins did NOT make the playoffs, but were close. Skins took the Eagles to the woodshed and I'll think that rivalry will be close again this year. Kirk Cousins is a good football player; leagues better than RG3. Hope yall can get the contract thing settled so he can be locked down for years and feel at home running the Redskins offense. Cousins is a good guy all around.

I but I'm sure you'll agree that that tie was the LAST tie I want to ever seen in football.