Author Topic: 2017 College Football Season  (Read 3948 times)

RealConservative

• View Profile
Re: 2017 College Football Season
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »
I'm no big Virginia Tech fan, but I have several relatives who are alums. And I remind you and them that my alma mater won a few years ago, albeit the most painful game to watch in college football and as it was double-overtime 6-3. Anyways. Yeah the first coach after Frank Beamer is turning out to be a great hire. Those birds are crushing it!

My boys also whooped on the "other Virginia school" 27-20. And we went bowling and won. The ACC is proving itself to be a head-to-head contender with the SEC.

Wake Forest is in the toughest division in the conference with Clemson, Florida State, NC State, and Louisville headlining. I still predict my Deacs to make another bowl game and continue to build up to be toughest team in North Carolina.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
i have hated va tech since dooley coached them in the 70s.i,d pull for them over unc.fsu.but nobody else.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
Well, we'll just keep winning, making bowl games, winning bowl games, and winning conference championships! Left UNC in the dust down in Chapel Hill last year. All that squaking and the Hokies but it down 34-3.  I think our team practices are more competitive than that!

Joshua Jackson was just named starting quarterback for the Hokies yesterday afternoon. Redshirt Freshman from Michigan who has good pocket presence and a great arm. I like the fact that he was a Michigan State commitment, and then seeing VT hire Justin Fuente as the new head coach, he takes an official visit to Blacksburg, then drops his committment and signs with Virginia Tech. He was brought up in this system last season and I like him taking the reigns.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »
I'm leaning towards Va. Tech this year.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
ITS HERE!!! FINALLY COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!

And the seasons opened the other nice with Standford, a favorite in the Pac-12, dominating Rice 62-7. Granted, Rice is a nobody and Standford has national title hopes, but its football.

I'm looking forward to 2 big games Saturday-

Alabama vs Florida State
West Virginia vs Virginia Tech (Sunday at 7:30PM)

The real rivalry is back for my Hokies. Its been years since we have played in the "Battle for the Black Diamond Trophy" but the history remains. Its somewhat of a violent history, and you can read about what Mountaineer fans have done in the past- like when we beat the in Morgantown and some of them peed in water bottles and threw them at elderly Hokie fans. The Hokies won the last matchup 34-17. That game was on the road at West Virginia and it was in 2005.

Either way. Both schools are ranked in the Top 25 and will playing at Redskins stadium in Landover, Maryland. This is going to be a close one. I believe the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will win this one by 1 score.

Hokies 24
Mountaineers 21

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:51:43 AM by Common Sense »
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
Wow, VA Tech VS West VA. Used to be a big rivalry game when both of these schools were in the Big East. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to watch this game. Who's going to QB the Hokies this year?
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »
It was the rivalry for decades and decades. Then the Hokies went to the ACC and there was some violent clashes in the fanbases that let the both athletic directors agreeing on putting the rivalry aside. Now its back!

Redshirt Freshman Josh Jackson has been announced the starting QB. His first day on campus with with the new head coach Justin Fuente, so he has been brougt up in the new offensive system. He has a strong and accurate arm in the pocket but the athleticism to get out and run for yardage.

We had our biggest weapons on offense graduate and leave for the pros but the talent is still there. Cam Phillips had almost 1,000 yards receiving last year and we didn't lose anything on the offensive line.

Oh, and he is from Michigan where his dad was an offensive coach at Michigan for years. And its kind of cool that a former Michigan QB said he will be giving Josh Jackson a call Saturday evening to give him a pep talk before his big start. I think I would be pretty hyped up if Tom Brady was calling me before my first college football game, too!

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
It was the rivalry for decades and decades. Then the Hokies went to the ACC and there was some violent clashes in the fanbases that let the both athletic directors agreeing on putting the rivalry aside. Now its back!

Redshirt Freshman Josh Jackson has been announced the starting QB. His first day on campus with with the new head coach Justin Fuente, so he has been brougt up in the new offensive system. He has a strong and accurate arm in the pocket but the athleticism to get out and run for yardage.

We had our biggest weapons on offense graduate and leave for the pros but the talent is still there. Cam Phillips had almost 1,000 yards receiving last year and we didn't lose anything on the offensive line.

Oh, and he is from Michigan where his dad was an offensive coach at Michigan for years. And its kind of cool that a former Michigan QB said he will be giving Josh Jackson a call Saturday evening to give him a pep talk before his big start. I think I would be pretty hyped up if Tom Brady was calling me before my first college football game, too!

I know this sounds like a homer statement to say, but I do feel that at some point, Justin Fuente will bring a National Championship home to Blacksburg. He just seems to have the ability to make teams better, and I think when we start to see Tech getting back to their winning ways on a regular basis, you're going to see better recruitment and you're going to have players want to come and play for VA Tech. Loved Frank Beamer, but looking back, that National Championship in '99 turned out to be the best he could do for Tech. He never got the team back to that point. I felt he was close, but then there were always games that left me scratching my head. In all honesty, that year was probably an over-achievement. Again, I loved Frank Beamer and he will always be considered VA Tech to me, but I always felt he wasn't on the level high enough to get a National Title home to Blacksburg.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
Beamer didn't wanna play WVU anymore because of all the violence...I guess that's why they are playing on a neutral field tonight...anyway let's go Hokies!

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »
i think va tech wins 28-21  dont know how good they are,but i think they are better than WV
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
Great first weekend. Congrats to the Hokies and the Hoos. Nice to have both my Virginia teams in the win column.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
Great first weekend. Congrats to the Hokies and the Hoos. Nice to have both my Virginia teams in the win column.
Agreed....the Hokies have a good QB and a good punter...need a kicker and some work on the running game and the defensive secondary....it wasn't a pretty victory but we held on,mainly because of mistakes by WVU.

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
Attended the UVA-William & Mary game Saturday. Damp and misty weather held the crowd size down. Virginia was far better than they were in last year's opener against Richmond. Next up for UVA will be Indiana from the Big 10. Kickoff is Saturday at 3:30 at Scott Stadium.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
Congrats to the hoos on their win against a JV team. The biggest crowd in Charlottesville is when the big brother comes to town from Blacksburg.

Hokies freshman QB grew up, about a year, ever quarter. He was composed against a unique WVa defense. I like this kid!

The interior blocking needs to be touched up bigtime. The running game couldn't get consistent without good blocking and downfield blocking. And as for the kicking game....Joey Slye was an all-conference kicker last year but last night was baffling. Hope he's able to move past that shaky start and get back to usual effectiveness.

It was GREAT to beat those guys. Thats the REAL rivalry for Virginia Tech. And the Black Diamond Trophy makes it return to Blacksburg for the 4,270 day in a row. Next up is Delaware Fighting Hens.

Time to workout any kinks before ACC conference play starts.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
ova has a good chance to be a  good team now under mendenhall.ova was the best football college in virginia beforte the chokies were. they also played for a nat title and would have gotten it had sean moore broken his thumb.
albert einstein