Author Topic: 2017 College Football Season  (Read 3947 times)

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: 2017 College Football Season
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
ACC Media Day was yesterday. Some interesting tid bits from the discussion.

Staying true to home and the ACC division that's represented in our state: Duke's Daniel Jones and Virginia's Kurt Benkert are the only Coastal Division starting quarterbacks returning from last year. I saw nothing impressive about UVA's QB, or the whole team, at all last year. But Daniel Jones gave Virginia Tech fits, as that kid can play hard and tough. The Hokies graduated and lost some of the best offensive players in the ACC, but the defense comes back loaded up with talent. And defense wins games!

The ACC is contending to come off a 2016 season that saw the conference at #1 of the Power 5 conferences. Clemson won that national title and Lamar Jackson of Louisville won the Heisman Trophy. What are the odds that the ACC will maintain its spot at the top?

And looking at the schedule can Lamar Jackson play enough to be in the Heisman race again? A lot of talk on these 2 topics was that Louisville only has 4 returning starters on offense. Jackson will have to groom some new talent to keep those stats up.

And Clemson has graduated some of its best talent from the Championship squad. Deshaun Watson at QB, Mike Williams at WR and captain Ben Boulware at linebacker.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
ACC Media Day was yesterday. Some interesting tid bits from the discussion.

Staying true to home and the ACC division that's represented in our state: Duke's Daniel Jones and Virginia's Kurt Benkert are the only Coastal Division starting quarterbacks returning from last year. I saw nothing impressive about UVA's QB, or the whole team, at all last year. But Daniel Jones gave Virginia Tech fits, as that kid can play hard and tough. The Hokies graduated and lost some of the best offensive players in the ACC, but the defense comes back loaded up with talent. And defense wins games!

The ACC is contending to come off a 2016 season that saw the conference at #1 of the Power 5 conferences. Clemson won that national title and Lamar Jackson of Louisville won the Heisman Trophy. What are the odds that the ACC will maintain its spot at the top?

And looking at the schedule can Lamar Jackson play enough to be in the Heisman race again? A lot of talk on these 2 topics was that Louisville only has 4 returning starters on offense. Jackson will have to groom some new talent to keep those stats up.

And Clemson has graduated some of its best talent from the Championship squad. Deshaun Watson at QB, Mike Williams at WR and captain Ben Boulware at linebacker.

I really think the ACC is getting up there with the SEC in terms of football. I love the fact that it's a very competitive, National Championship worthy, league. I will be cheering my Hokies on like usual, but it will be interesting to see how the offense performs this year.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
I'm right up there with you Mr. Skins!

The defense should be good again as the secondary is going to be the best in the ACC; possibly in the country! The 2 Edmunds boys from Dan River, Brandon Facyson and Greg Stroman. 2 of them (Tremaine Edmunds and Greg Stroman) have been nominated for a pair of the defensive player of the year trophies.

And this morning at the 2nd day of the ACC Media Conference Andrew Motuapaka brought the lunch pail to the podium. Bud Foster always brings the best to battle. Our guys are ready to go to work.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »
Normally I don't watch college football but I think I will watch the ACC this year just so I can hang out with you guys. I don't have a favorite team yet but I'll pick one soon.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »
Normally I don't watch college football but I think I will watch the ACC this year just so I can hang out with you guys. I don't have a favorite team yet but I'll pick one soon.
May I suggest my avatar! lol

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
May I suggest my avatar! lol

I give a STRONG 2nd to Riggins statement!

You want a program in Virginia that THRIVES on a winning tradition, and has one of the best homefield advantages in the country then coming to Blacksburg, Virginia- home of the Hokies of Virginia Tech.

We win. We've beaten the other in-state schools the past 13 seasons in a row. And last year we beat the wahoos 52-10 its not even that competitive anymore.

Hokies bring the lunchpail attitude and stand by it. We don't just play the game, we go to work!

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
the chokies? really? i respect your right to pull for them,they aint that tough at home.i think FSU is gonna win the acc and make the playoffs this year.i bet they give bama  a good game or beat them week 1.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Nothing bad about a team that was is a bowl debate with a new head coach going on to demolish North Carolina at their house, beating Miami by double-digits, laughing down UVA for the 13th time in a row, and making it to the ACC Championship game!

I think FSU will take it to Alabama in the opener in a close game. The best thing about that game is that it will give a good preview of the college football playoff, because even the losing team in that game can still make go all the way! My outside prediction: Criminoles 24 Alabama 20

Overall in the ACC I think there is so much up in the air on the Coastal side. I can't predict a clear winner, but I think that squad mentioned above takes it all this season. 

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
UVA fans don't really have a leg to stand on when insulting the Hokies. The Hokies have owned them for how many years now? And at least the Hokies have been bowl eligible for almost every season for the past several years. They just need to recruit a good quarterback whose willing to stay through his senior year, and you'll probably see the Hokies mentioned among teams good enough for a National Title. It will happen for Tech, and I think it will happen sooner as opposed to later.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »
Virginia Tech has gone to a bowl every season since 1993.

Virginia Tech has beaten UVa 13 seasons in a row. Including last year in Blacksburg when the Hokies won 52-10.   

Glad to see us playing West Virginia again this season. First rivalry game that will actually be competitive in quite awhile!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
VA Tech is ranked #22 in preseason USA Today coaches poll published today.

The Hokies got 235 points in the poll, which had five ACC teams in it. Florida State came in at No. 3, Clemson at No. 5, Louisville at No. 17 and Miami at No. 18. Pittsburgh, N.C. State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Syracuse also received votes.

It's the first time since 2012 that Virginia Tech appears in the preseason poll.
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/virginia_tech/hokies-ranked-nd-in-preseason-coaches-poll/article_97907b30-7866-11e7-b7b1-83862b89bce0.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=Breaking%20News&utm_campaign=News%20Alert
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
Virginia Tech has gone to a bowl every season since 1993.

Virginia Tech has beaten UVa 13 seasons in a row. Including last year in Blacksburg when the Hokies won 52-10.   

Glad to see us playing West Virginia again this season. First rivalry game that will actually be competitive in quite awhile!
very year
pulled for alabama since i was 10 years old.i pull for uva basketball.va tech gets overrated every year.and if they were in  the sec,they would get beaten like a lakota drum almost every week,
albert einstein

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
The SEC is way overrated and about to get their butt whipped this year by the ACC! lol

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
The SEC is way overrated and about to get their butt whipped this year by the ACC! lol

and the chokies gonna win it all.  lol
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »
Not a single "choke" last season by any means. Brand new coach, brand new system, and surpassed ALL expectations.

The debate was would Virginia Tech maintain its record breaking bowl-streak or have no post-season. 10 wins and an appearance in the ACC title game proved all of that false! After whooping the crap out of the other Virginia school (52-10) and going to beat the SEC squad Arkansas shows that Coach Fuente and the boys from Blacksburg are still in the mix. And on our way to being great. (And now we finally have an offence!)