Author Topic: 2017 College Football Season  (Read 3823 times)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 College Football Season
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
I don't feel good about this game but hopeful the Hokies can pull out a victory.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
As much hype as Miami has gotten this year...and as much as I cannot STAND their "fans" or the team itself...they are loaded with talent. This is going to be a close, close one for sure.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
One of those games where it really will let you know where Tech is in terms of improvement. They, obviously, wouldn't on the level of Clemson when they played them. Let's see if they are close to the level of Miami.

Regardless, at least we know Tech will probably wind up being in a pretty decent Bowl game this year.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
Well, as it turns out Miami is back to being really, really good. They are loaded with athletics and they have an incredible coach.

Keep in mind- Coach Fuente is only 1 1/2 years into his Virginia Tech career and our quarterback Josh Jackson is only a freshman. After getting beating almost every play he showed that kid is tough as nails!

Our offensive line just could NOT protect him for the life of game. The speed rush just ate him up. They are a very talented team and I think they are now the favorite to win the ACC. Should be a really good game with them and Notre Dame this weekend.

Onto Georgia Tech for the Hokies. If UVa's defensive line was able to make penetration on GT then Ricky Walker and Tim Settle should be able to push that QB to the outside and then gobble him up. Its gonna be a tough game in Atlanta but its a noon kickoff.

GO HOKIES!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
Yeah, that game was tough. There were a couple very ticky-tacky pass interference calls on the Hokies that left me scratching my head, but I guess they call that stuff much closer than they do in the NFL.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
That first pass-interference call was ridiculous. But. In the end, it didn't matter cause we couldn't protect our QB, our receivers couldn't catch the ball, and we couldn't defend all that well.

Miami. As much as I cannot stand their fans and their whole "swagger", they are really good. Really good.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
That first pass-interference call was ridiculous. But. In the end, it didn't matter cause we couldn't protect our QB, our receivers couldn't catch the ball, and we couldn't defend all that well.

Miami. As much as I cannot stand their fans and their whole "swagger", they are really good. Really good.

Georgia Tech is always a very tough game. Their triple option offense is ridiculous.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
It is. But I think we have the power in our d-lines and the speed on the outside that we can shut it down pretty well. Got to make up for last season!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
Offensive play calling at the end of the game for VT was stoopid....3 and 1 with plenty of time left to get a fresh set of downs...incomplete pass...then 4th and 1 and incomplete pass in the endzone....wth were they thinking?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
Just bad play calls yesterday at key points. And poor execution in most aspects. Poor performance overall.

Why, on that final drive and that final 4th and 1 did we throw to the endzone and NOT JUST SNAP THE BALL UNDER CENTER AND HAVE JACKSON LUNGE FORWARD FOR THE 1ST DOWN?!?!

Grrrrrr....the guys have to learn from this. Its still a developing team for sure, so we have that going for us.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
I tell ya, for some reason, Georgia Tech always gives the Hokies trouble. They could be a winless team and will still play like a #1 ranked team against VA Tech. Just seems like there are certain teams that match up well against other teams, and no matter the situation, those teams are going to win.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
I just don't see how we let that receiver go WIDEEEE OPEN down the middle the field and catch a ball that almost any other players couldnt have caught cause he was so damn wide open.

And the 2 passes when it was 3rd and 1 and then 4th and 1. Just run it up the gut.

Bad. Bad play calling to finish it out.

Hard to keep hold of the fact that this is a very young team on offense. And we had 3 guys who broke records at their positions last season (quarterback, wide receiver, and tight end) leave school early to go into the NFL draft. Its hard to fill those shoes.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
I just don't see how we let that receiver go WIDEEEE OPEN down the middle the field and catch a ball that almost any other players couldnt have caught cause he was so damn wide open.

And the 2 passes when it was 3rd and 1 and then 4th and 1. Just run it up the gut.

Bad. Bad play calling to finish it out.

Hard to keep hold of the fact that this is a very young team on offense. And we had 3 guys who broke records at their positions last season (quarterback, wide receiver, and tight end) leave school early to go into the NFL draft. Its hard to fill those shoes.

It will take some time. I think Jackson will continue to grow as a QB and I think he's going to be really good. A year can make all the difference in the world. A year and a great recruitment class.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
JJ has been amazing as a freshman quarterback. Phenomenal actually. Our lack of running game, which is uncharacteristic for the Hokies, has set us back midway through the season. Jackson had to shoulder much of the productivity of the offense.

His future is BRIGHT. And the recruits we keep getting in during the Fuente era are going to continue to pile up!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2017, 01:08:42 AM »
After upset Saturday guess where the ACC stands? Clemson is No. 2 and Miami is No. 3 in the national playoff lineup. The ACC Championship game will knock one of them out of the picture. Of course, Virginia could preempt that and make one incredible statement coming up this Saturday. Go Hoos!

On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken