Author Topic: College Basketball 2017-2018  (Read 233 times)

Solon

• View Profile
College Basketball 2017-2018
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
The Duke Blue Devils picked up the No. 1 college recruit today. Marvin Bagley III played in California last year and interviewed at UCLA, USC, and Duke. He is likely to spend a year at Durham and be the No. 1 NBA pick in 2018. The expectations are out the roof for him and the team in the coming season.

Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski has now landed five top-100 recruits, including three other five-star prospects in Trevon Duval, Wendell Carter and Gary Trent Jr. With Grayson Allen returning for his senior season, the Blue Devils are the favorites to win the national title next year, which would be Krzyzewskiís sixth. Itís the second year in a row and third in the past four that he has brought in the nationís top recruit, following Jahlil Okafor (2014) and Harry Giles (2016).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/15/top-recruit-marvin-bagley-iii-picks-duke-and-intends-to-play-in-2017/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.07702ad17fe6
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: College Basketball 2017-2018
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:42:07 AM »
Coach K continues to show he's the class of the field. This brings up an issue I've had over the years- how do you feel about the 1-and-done players?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Coach K is awesome.  As to your question- if I had that kind of talent it would be hard not to take the money. You could get injured the next year and your career is over.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
Yeah, youre right about that one. Actually, youre right about both of those. I swear after Coach K retires they should rename is Championship trophy from the John Wooden to the Mike Krzyzewski trophy.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Steven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »
When it comes to ACC basketball - I am an oddity. I like Duke AND the Tarheels. I grew up watching Dean Smith and all of those great players - but Coach K is unreal with what he has and will accomplish. I was also a big fan of Jim Valvano. I guess I'm just an old time ACC fan.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
Yeah bud. While I am a Hokie alum I still respect our conference and believe that the ACC is the top dog in college hoops. The best coaches of all time and some of the best players to play in college and then onto the pros.

Come tournament time, even if Duke or UNC isn't a #1 seeded they are always a threat.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
Tonight at the Champion's Classic on ESPN...

No. 1 Duke beat No. 2 Michigan State. 88-81. Grayson Allen put on a show with 37 points. He was 7 of 11 from downtown. Bagley sat out the second half with an eye injury.

No. 4 Kansas beat No. 7 Kentucky 65-61. It was a not a polished performance for either team. I would say experience won. The big guys are still a little herky jerky for Kentucky. That's what you get with 5 freshmen on the floor at the beginning of the season. They are still in adolescence physically.

On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken