Author Topic: 2017 College Football Season  (Read 3853 times)

RealConservative

• View Profile
2017 College Football Season
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
Its almost that time of you. Spring football is heating up and D1 schools will be backing their Spring Games over the next month or so.

Does Clemson, or the ACC, repeat? Alabama has to be a heavy favorite. What are yalls thoughts on the upcoming college football season and our schools here in Virginia?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Clemson doesn't repeat as national champs. I wouldnt go so far to say they don't repeat as ACC Champs, though. I think Alabama and Ohio State are 2 of the favorites, and I'd put Oklahoma and USC in the mix as well.

The ACC conference is very unpredictable right now. Maybe the picture will be a big clearer after the Spring games.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »
I've give it a shot. My final ACC Standings for 2017:

ACC Atlantic

Louisville
Florida State
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Boston College
Syracuse

ACC Coastal

Miami & Virginia Tech (Tie)
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh
UVA & Duke (Tie)

Conference Champion Game: Louisville
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
Too early for me. We've got the NBA playoffs and all of baseball first!
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Spring football is my main focus right now, and the NHL playoffs. Not so much as my squad failed to make playoffs for the first time in my adult life.

I've tried to get back into baseball, its just too slow on TV! Thats just me. I sure loved it when the Braves had that DYNAMIC bullpen: Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »
spring football is a joke.the only reason they have it is to keep the players in shape.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
Quote from: Common Sense;2144
Spring football is my main focus right now, and the NHL playoffs. Not so much as my squad failed to make playoffs for the first time in my adult life.

I've tried to get back into baseball, its just too slow on TV! Thats just me. I sure loved it when the Braves had that DYNAMIC bullpen: Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux.

braves are pretty much pathetic now.
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
Quote from: cubsfanbudman;2174
spring football is a joke.the only reason they have it is to keep the players in shape.

Spring football is great. You get to see what you have in the talent-cabinet after the Seniors last seasong to get ready for fall. Virginia Tech had some early enrollees so we got to see some dynamic new talent who could play as true-freshman this year. Now, no more practice. Just lifting weights, studying playbooks, text books, and coaching scheming to get ready for the last week of Summer.

And honestly, as an alum and fan.... the Spring Game is "tailgate practice"!

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Re: 2017 College Football Season
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
i look for the tide to keep rolling this year.saban,s ego caused them the title last year,should have let kiffin coached the last guy,not the bum from usc who is now the atlanta falcons oc.
albert einstein

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »
Clemson's matra BYOG (Bring Your Own Guts) got them that win.    They've lost a few big playmakers from last years so we'll see how they fare on getting back to the ACCCG.

I can't wait to see what they bring to Blacksburg in the Fall!

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
Just looking at your predictions again CS and you pick Tech on top and the Hoos on the bottom. Fair prediction, but I'm hoping UVA sees some sunshine this season. Dark clouds have been around too long for that program.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Eventually they will bounce back, but their schedule isn't very easy.

They open with William & Mary, which should be a win but after starting last year with a L to Richmond it may be closer than expected. But a win nonetheless.

Indiana would be a neck-and-neck game, and then they get a rematch with Uconn after the loss last year. Uconn was pathetic last season and they don't get much better. Should be a W for the ACC school

Then they go to the "Smurf Turn" at Boise State. That will be touch to compete with. A sure L coming from that trip.

The ACC schedule isn't going to be forgiving either this year. They play Louisville, at Pitt, at UNC, and at Miami. They get Virginia Tech at home but their atmosphere is easy for the Hokies. Not a hostile road crowd anymore. And UVA has a LOT of making up to do from last years 52 - 10 loss in Blacksburg to even make this one a respectable lost.

I predict at 3-9 at worst, and 4-8 at best for the wahoos.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Part of me cant believe that all these media outlets are predicting Miami to win the ACC. Its becoming the annual standard for sports reporters based on their talent and their history winning titles. Except...by mid-season they falter, players attitudes flare up, arrests, disrespect for coaching and fans, etc. The sports media still loves on the U.

I will say this though- Miami IS undefeated in ACC Champion Games!

RealConservative

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »
Part of me cant believe that all these media outlets are predicting Miami to win the ACC. Its becoming the annual standard for sports reporters based on their talent and their history winning titles. Except...by mid-season they falter, players attitudes flare up, arrests, disrespect for coaching and fans, etc. The sports media still loves on the U.

I chuckled on that one. Thats because Miami hasn't gone to the ACC title game yet!

I'm hoping my Deacons are going bowling again this year. Dave Clawson has a good thing going and I'm happy with the crowds we are pulling in now. Got a pretty easy schedule this season.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »

I chuckled on that one. Thats because Miami hasn't gone to the ACC title game yet!

I'm hoping my Deacons are going bowling again this year. Dave Clawson has a good thing going and I'm happy with the crowds we are pulling in now. Got a pretty easy schedule this season.

Going to be a competitive year in the ACC. The conference continues to grow and contend with the SEC.

I won't remark about the last game I saw the Hokies play in Winston-Salem. But after back-to-back 3-9 seasons there wasn't much place to go but up for the season since Clawson took over.

That's spot on about Miami though!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:22:25 PM by Common Sense »