Author Topic: 2017 Virginia Governor's Race  (Read 6865 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: 2017 Virginia Governor's Race
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
Common Sense, I just not read your review of the debate and wanted to say "thanks." I didn't see it and in a 60 second read I feel completely informed. Well done!
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
This could be a shakeup in the Republican primary, but with Ed Gillespie pulling away I'm not sure of the impact. Either way, this is bad news; even for a guy who has been highlighting his campaign with the Confederate Rebel flag:

Corey Stewart, the highly red Prince William County chairman, has sided with KKK leader David Duke. This in response to the turch burning, white supremacist rally in Charlottesville:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/politics/dp-nws-corey-stewart-campaign-20170515-story.html

I always felt like Corey was the weaker of those 3 candidates. Gillespie is pretty solid. As of now, I'm supporting Wagner leading up to primary day. He's only weak on individual liberties.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
You're right on Corey. As for Frank- he's the best choice, in my opinion, when it comes the the general campaign and overall governance.

If he wins the primary he will have time to prime up his stances on individual liberties. And if he wins the nomination he will be battling to win the libertarians to his side and away from the 3rd party.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Cynic-Al

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
Perriello is just a George Soros pretty boy and an opportunist. I find nothing impressive about him.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Personally I think since the dems won the last gubernatorial election and the presidential election in Virginia, it's their race to lose. Trumps approval ratings have dipped even lower since taking office.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »
With the Trump-effect, you may be right! Its up to the Republicans to show that they are not pledging blind loyalty to the unpopular President.

But.

The way the swing state goes, the Governor's Mansion tends to sway back and forth for each party. Theres a Democrat in there now, and there are 2 Senators of that party, so I think its a toss-up right now.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
May Washington Post Polls:

Democrats are neck and neck

Only 20% of Virginia adults approve strongly of Donald Trump’s performance as President, while 52% disapprove strongly.

It appears by the polls that Gillespie has this locked up. Here are some stats:
All Among Republican likely voters:

*Ed Gillespie leads 38%, versus 18% for Corey Stewart, and 15% for Frank Wagner.
*Republican likely voters believe – by a 37%-14% margin – that Ed Gillespie would “do the most to support Donald Trump,” even though Corey Stewart headed up Trump’s campaign in Virginia.
*60% of Republican likely voters see Gillespie as having the best chance to win in November, compared to just 9% for Frank Wagner and 7% for Corey Stewart.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
But you have to take into account: Corey Stewart chaired Trumps Virginia campaign until he was fired! And Enron Ed is loaded so he's been able to dictate the pace of the whole race. He's already planning his routes for the general, be it against Ralph or Tom.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
But you have to take into account: Corey Stewart chaired Trumps Virginia campaign until he was fired! And Enron Ed is loaded so he's been able to dictate the pace of the whole race. He's already planning his routes for the general, be it against Ralph or Tom.

totally agree. just presenting the facts and questions as read from the poll. wagner is really gonna have to have a miracle happen in the next 3 wks if he is going to get it.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
yes sir! should be a great race between whomever wins the party(s) nomination

Solon

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:56:55 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
i really think you cant compare the race until after the primaries and ballot access deadlines for all candidates. it's still painting the picture that it's the D's race to lose.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
Well, I really don't put a lot of credence...especially the complete flips of polls < results showcased by the 2016 election.

And my only drawback on this poll is that there are 3 Republican candidates in the primary, and its turning a little more contentious with Gillespie and Stewart. It may take some extra work for Ed to convice the diehard Corey supports to support Ed, if he wins the nomination.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:59 AM »
Cliff Hyra launched his website today http://cliffhyra.com

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:36 AM »
I know Judge Stan Klein very well, and he was a tremendous justice and now private lawyer. Cliff's internship with the Stan should prove his intellectual prowess.