Author Topic: 2017 Virginia Governor's Race  (Read 6866 times)

RealConservative

• View Profile
2017 Virginia Governor's Race
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
Problem is are a very much 2-party system in Virginia, and America as a whole. And the inability to raise money and get notoriety brings out some candidates for Libertarians who are unpolished. As for moderates, its all Frank Wagner. Libertarian right now are seen as very anti-government rather than than ways to work to limit the scope of the fed.

Only 2 candidates in this field have Virginia legislative experience and I'm sticking with my guy. Would be nice to see them all debate though, Cliff just needs to hit the ground running and pull up poll numbers to be included.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
Quote from: LpMv2407;2141
or they could just vote for the real moderate - cliff hyra ;)

I want to hear more about Cliff Hyra. Whats your take on how he stands and what he stands for? Honestly just curious here!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
Quote from: Common Sense;2183
I want to hear more about Cliff Hyra. Whats your take on how he stands and what he stands for? Honestly just curious here!

he is definitely for less govt and less govt regulation. the state gov't getting out of the abc store business would be one. he would also be for legalizing marijuana is the state of virginia that could open the doors for industrial, medicinal, agricultural, and recreation jobs in virginia. he would fight against bills that infringe against civil rights like that republican on eastern shore that sponsored a bathroom bill similar to HB2 in nc. he supports competition for education and is against standardized testing. he would support innovation in the private sector and not put up barriers to tourism and residents like the legislation bill stanley sponsored to heavily regular airBnB in va. any particular state issues that are important to you right now?

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
I'm glad someone else has come out against the HB2 circus that happened to our neighbor to the south. Its more than a moral issue, its a business issue. The ACC had to cancel their big $$$ bowl games and events, and move them to Florida and New York. The state, counties, cities, and local businesses lost millions. We already have a delegate from northern Virginia, Bob Marshall, trying to pass that same bill in the General Assembly but that was shot down. Thank the lord.

LpMv, (can I call you Big L? I like to be folksy haha) have you gotten in touch with his campaign and see how you can volunteer or help bring Cliff Hyra's name to town? Itd be  great to get a governor candidate to come to town and see the real deal we have down here!
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
Quote from: Common Sense;2218
I'm glad someone else has come out against the HB2 circus that happened to our neighbor to the south. Its more than a moral issue, its a business issue. The ACC had to cancel their big $$$ bowl games and events, and move them to Florida and New York. The state, counties, cities, and local businesses lost millions. We already have a delegate from northern Virginia, Bob Marshall, trying to pass that same bill in the General Assembly but that was shot down. Thank the lord.

LpMv, (can I call you Big L? I like to be folksy haha) have you gotten in touch with his campaign and see how you can volunteer or help bring Cliff Hyra's name to town? Itd be  great to get a governor candidate to come to town and see the real deal we have down here!

i would consider myself pretty heavily involved with the local libertarian party. i can all but guarantee once Hyra secures the nomination May 6th, he will make at least one appearance in Martinsville.

Once again, I am circulating petitions for ballot access. i will drive to meet anyone in MHC to sign. PM a time and location to meet and sign.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
Cliff Hyra accepted the nomination for the libertarian party candidate for governor yesterday in richmond.

he has an impressive resume'. if you'd like to read a short bio, check this link out http://hyraip.com/about/

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »
Perriello rushed out a political add condemning the House replacement for Obamacare that has enjoyed a huge audience on national news and YouTube. If he can take the issue away from Northam, a pediatric neurologist who supports the Affordable Care Act, he stands a good chance of winning the Democratic primary in June. He remains, however, the outsider in Virginia Democratic politics, and he is vulnerable to attack from the left for supporting an amendment in 2008 that would deny funds to abortion providers in the ACA. That might actually win him support here in his old Congressional district, but this is not where the winning votes are.

[video=youtube;kad9lGbc_xI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kad9lGbc_xI[/video]

In a boomerang of politics and timing, Perriello — who lost his congressional seat in 2010 after he voted for the Affordable Care Act — is now using the same issue to mount a political comeback. He is counting on anger at Republican control of Washington — currently zeroed in on health care — to propel him into the governor’s mansion in Richmond.

Obamacare cost him a seat in Congress. Can it make him Governor of Virginia?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/obamacare-cost-him-a-seat-in-congress-can-it-make-him-governor-of-virginia/2017/05/08/f1ac6340-31b2-11e7-9dec-764dc781686f_story.html?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.98c52bedf678
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:32:20 AM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
I will be in attendance for the Democratic debate tonight in Richmond. These are 2 very good candidates, however, I wish Tom would have ran for the LG spot. He was a late entry and I worry that he may have put an askew in the organizational setup to keep the mansion in Democratic hands. They both have great platforms and its refreshing to hear him stand up for his vote on the ACA, knowing that it would end his Congressional career. Public service first!

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Quote from: Common Sense;2272
I will be in attendance for the Democratic debate tonight in Richmond. These are 2 very good candidates, however, I wish Tom would have ran for the LG spot. He was a late entry and I worry that he may have put an askew in the organizational setup to keep the mansion in Democratic hands. They both have great platforms and its refreshing to hear him stand up for his vote on the ACA, knowing that it would end his Congressional career. Public service first!

I hope you will give us your review of the debate.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
Quote from: Solon;2273
I hope you will give us your review of the debate.

Yessir. I will give my writeup tomorrow morning.

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
The debate went pretty well last night; as Ralph Northam and Tom Perriello traded more civil barbs at this one then at the previous forum. The stark contracts were loyalty to the Democratic party. The larger dymanic was the two both trading the following exchanges:

"Perriello confronted Northam directly over his past support for former President George W. Bush, and Northam accused Perriello of being a libertarian in Democrat’s clothing who frequently voted with Republicans during his single term in Congress." Northam stated his action of being a successful Democratic Senator, while Tom touted his big ideas. They were a tad more liberal and showed his inexperience of working IN state government. Perriello wants two years of free community college or trade school, universal pre-K and eight weeks of paid maternity leave. Perriello has said he’ll pay for the new programs, estimated to cost roughly $1 billion, by raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations and cutting spending.

Its a careful process in a primary to toe the line of the hard Democrats who WILL turn out and making sure you don't set yourself of to be buried by your own words during the primary.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 02:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the review. It doesn't appear that either gained an advantage, mostly confirming who they are. Do you think Perriello's program would have a prayer in the General Assembly? I confess that I do not closely watch the GA, but it seems to me there is more angst over Northern Virginia road construction than the expansion of educational opportunities. Just asking.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
Quote from: Solon;2306
Thanks for the review. It doesn't appear that either gained an advantage, mostly confirming who they are. Do you think Perriello's program would have a prayer in the General Assembly? I confess that I do not closely watch the GA, but it seems to me there is more angst over Northern Virginia road construction than the expansion of educational opportunities. Just asking.

You're correct. No one gained real advantage but their staffers had some mixed success at the debate working the crowd and getting new volunteers from the independents in the attendance.

And its good to see that the major focus of the states finances seems to be swaying away from the years of northern Virginians mad about the traffic in overpopulated areas. Northam has been focuses on advancing funding for public schools across the Commonwealth, especially in rural areas as he is a verbally proud product of a very rural school. He wants more funding on facilities, teachers pay and retention. Perriello echoes those sentiments and pushes a little harder on higher education and pre-K.

Tom would have a lot of difficulty getting free college from 4-year institutions, but I believe he'd see gradual success in universal pre-K. And another interesting note about the General Assembly: the number of primary races for gerrymandered districts has increased 10X. The "Trump Effect" is in full-force. We have seen a record of early retirements in the GA. The Speaker, Bill Howell, is retiring. Most recently with Dave Albo; a stern Republican northern Virginia. Del. Peter F. Farrell, the youngest member of the GA announced he's not seeking re-election. Races are popping up all over Virginia.

So, the dynamics of the state legislature are changing and we are going to see some new faces come into the fold. I told folks several years ago don't count Tom out.

RealConservative

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
The Republicans are done with the primary debates and I think the Democrats may have another one?

The TV ads are starting to pile up, and I hope we see the same large amount of people voting in the primaries as we did in 2016.

Frank Wagner 2017
http://www.wagnervasenate.com/

Common Sense

• View Profile
Re: 2017 Virginia Governor's Race
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
This could be a shakeup in the Republican primary, but with Ed Gillespie pulling away I'm not sure of the impact. Either way, this is bad news; even for a guy who has been highlighting his campaign with the Confederate Rebel flag:

Corey Stewart, the highly red Prince William County chairman, has sided with KKK leader David Duke. This in response to the turch burning, white supremacist rally in Charlottesville:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/politics/dp-nws-corey-stewart-campaign-20170515-story.html