Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 2303 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
Nats gave the Dodgers what for last night in a 7-1 win. Good show on both offense and defense. Maybe we might be around a little longer than I thought!
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
Twins are hanging on to that 2nd WC...playing the spankee's this week!

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »
Brewers are making a run at the Cubs and the Yankees are making a run at the Red Sox. Hope the Cubbies and the Sox hold on. Dodgers are 4 wins away from 100, but the Nats are only 9 away from 100 after beating the Braves in Atlanta tonight.

As of today, we've got Boston, Cleveland, and Houston in the American League and the Nats, Cubs and the Dodgers in the National League. Boston and Chicago are not guaranteed yet, but with 12 games left it's becoming more certain every day.

As of today, Arizona and Colorado will enter as the two wildcards for the National League and the Yankees and the Twins will enter as the teams for the American League.

Looking forward to the postseason this year!

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 03:36:04 AM »
Brewers are making a run at the Cubs and the Yankees are making a run at the Red Sox. Hope the Cubbies and the Sox hold on. Dodgers are 4 wins away from 100, but the Nats are only 9 away from 100 after beating the Braves in Atlanta tonight.

As of today, we've got Boston, Cleveland, and Houston in the American League and the Nats, Cubs and the Dodgers in the National League. Boston and Chicago are not guaranteed yet, but with 12 games left it's becoming more certain every day.

As of today, Arizona and Colorado will enter as the two wildcards for the National League and the Yankees and the Twins will enter as the teams for the American League.

Looking forward to the postseason this year!

A Cubs / Red Sox World Series would get huge ratings, just as a Cubs/Yankees matchup would. However, since I was a kid rooting for the lovable losers, I have dreamed of a Cubs/Yankees series simply because the Yankees are considered the ultimate behemoth of MLB history. It "feels" like it would be the ultimate achievement for the Cubbies ... an epic climax to a decades long crescendo of disappointment for the Cub's loyal.

In golf, winning a major is considered the highest achievement ... just as winning the World Series is to baseball. However, Jack Nicklaus said that he felt to be considered a "true champion" in the history of golf, one would need to win the British Open (the oldest major of the 4) at St. Andrews, which is basically where the game originated. This feat is made even more difficult because St. Andrews hosts the Open only once every 5 years.

In regards to baseball, I feel kind of the same way ... winning the world series is an amazing feat ... but to do it by beating the Yankees? I think that if this were to happen, I would forever be satisfied as a Cubs fan. Everything beyond that point would be a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
gravy train with biscuit wheels

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
i got to see the cubs win a world series which is something my grandfather and father never saw .happen.i do not care who they beat i9 am happy
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
I almost want to think a lot of us diehard Cub fans through those decades of lean years have passed on. It's almost like the new generation of Cubs fans had already moved on. Of course, if you will recall, that was the biggest part of the strategy. Put it in the past and it will quit having an effect on the future.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
all i know is every time i think of the run they made last year,i always smile,laugh and tear up.
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:52 AM »
Oh heck, does me that way too. Can't imagine how a long-suffering Cubbie fan could keep from being affected by it. You know, I have never had an interest in going back and watching a World Series the second time, but the second last year was over the first thing I thought of was... I want to see this again. I'm 4 episodes from being caught up with Thrones. I think that's what I'm going to do. Wonder where you can find last year's World Series? Would love to watch it before this year's playoffs.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
i have evevry game from last years playoffs and cubs world series om dvd recorded,i just have not been able to findthem since moving.hopefully,i can soon find them. :) ;) :D ;D
albert einstein

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:36 AM »
You can also watch 20-30 minute condensed versions of the games on mlb.tv  ... Here's game 7, but they offer the entirety of the last two full seasons, including the post seasons.

https://www.mlb.com/video/11-2-16-cg-chccle/c-1211075283

If you want to watch other games, just follow this link and change the date!

http://mlb.com/mediacenter/#date=11/2/2016

I didn't suffer as long as a lot of other Cubbies faithful did, but some of my fondest childhood memories involve Harry Carey's voice calling out lineups with Mark Grace, Henry Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Rod Beck and other yearly regulars.

I remember seeing Glenn Allen hit a shot through the window of the building that had stands on the roof (just outside left field) ... Over 500 feet!

My Dad woke me up from a nap in time to watch Kerry Wood finish out the last couple innings of a 20 strikeout game ... I'll always be thankful for that one buoy!

I'll never forget the first time I heard Sammy Sosa speak and I realized he wasn't American. Blew my mind, lol.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:46:28 AM by lazebone »

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 06:06:09 AM »
What about my Twins!  :)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
I'll never forget the first time I heard Sammy Sosa speak and I realized he wasn't American. Blew my mind, lol.

Funny ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 07:22:38 AM »
Twins vs Yanks tuesday night wildcard game! Winner advances loser goes home. Go Twins!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Almost game time,I guess no one cares but it's been a long time since my Twins have been in the playoffs.I know the odds are against us but we got one shot at advancing to play the Indians.Go Twins!