Author Topic: NCAA Basketball Tournament  (Read 1204 times)

superman

• View Profile
NCAA Basketball Tournament
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
UVA is the #5 seed in the East Region and draws UNC-Wilimington for their 1st round opponent Thursday in Orlando.  ACC gets 9 teams in the tournament.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
cant see any acc team making it to the final 4.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
uva got really lucky today.down by 15,come back to win by 5.notre dame had a scare too,just winning by 2 over princeton.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:01:45 PM »
Talk about a mismatched game, UNC beat Texas Southern this afternoon 103-64.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:38:51 AM »
Programming note... WHEE and WMVA will be offering NCAA Tournament coverage today beginning at 11 am until about 1 am tomorrow morning.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:41:49 PM »
UVA has been playing basketball for 112 years. In that time we have had 11 coaches. In the history of the program, we have just slightly better than a 500 record. Our best years were in our beginning. Bennett has been our coach for 8 years and he has the second best coaching record at UVA. He has adequately proven what a good defense can do. He has just as adequately proven what a defense cannot do. Analyze this any way you want, emotionalize it as much as you can, but in the end... you have to score to win. Keeping an elite 16 team to 65 points is admirable, but being capable of scoring only 39 points is proof enough. Give them 85... coach, recruit, and train to score 90. In 75 years of NCAA history, 90 points wins in all but 3 times. UVA has never won a national championship. The closest we ever came was third and that was 36 years ago. I've been a Cubs fan for almost 50 years. I've been a UVA fan for 20. No one has ever asked me which one is harder. What do you think my answer would be?

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
I remember when Barry Parkhill was a god and Gibson was the greatest coach. Still, a winning record is not nothing (a double negative is absolutely correct here). Think UVA football history. Just trying to lighten the mood.

At this point it seems evident that the ACC was overrated. "This Year’s A.C.C. Might Be the Best College Basketball League Ever." What a farce that turned out to be.

Cubsfan may be right, as difficult as that is to admit. "cant see any acc team making it to the final 4."

Only a championship will alleviate the humiliation. There is still hope.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
Agreed Solon... and once again, those of us who root for our favorite ACC teams until they are eliminated and then root for the ACC as long as there's a team standing, find ourselves pinning our hopes on Duke and the Tarheels. Louisville is still alive, but I can never remember they are in the ACC - lol.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
Rooting for South Carolina and UNC tonight. Expecting Gonzaga to beat SC and the Heels to eliminate Oregon. Would love to see South Carolina and North Carolina play for all the marbles Monday, but I think we're going to see Gonzaga play the final game.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
Yep same here go USC and UNC.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:06 AM »
You guys got your wish. South Carolina won the women's and UNC won the men's.

The ACC has some vindication after the early exit of all the other teams in the men's tournament.

The final was a ragged affair from my perspective. Lots of fouls, missed shots, and disjointed play. Carolina kept its cool and a little surge at the end gave them the margin of victory.

Today, a day after UNC won the title, the N.C.A.A. lifted its ban on holding championship events in North Carolina after the state repealed the so-called bathroom bill.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:55:44 AM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken