Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 7089 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: Netflix
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
What was your source for Hacksaw Ridge, Salon? That one is on my list to watch.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
What was your source for Hacksaw Ridge, Salon? That one is on my list to watch.

I checked it out of the Blue Ridge Regional Library. I usually put a hold on line for any item I want and it is sent to my local branch. There were several people ahead of me when I first ordered it, but I just looked and there is only one hold on the movie now so you shouldn't have to wait too long if you want to go that route.

I am currently in line for Rogue One. The Martinsville branch has a huge selection of DVD's and orders many of the most popular movies as soon as they are available for purchase.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:45:33 AM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Alan Furst is a contemporary writer of historical spy novels dealing with events before and during World War II. Spies of Warsaw is a BBC dramatization of his novel depicting the adventures of a French military attache who discovers the Germans are conducting tank exercises in the Black Forest. For those who are familiar with the German invasion of France in the Spring of 1940, this is a significant discovery. Of course there are quite a few more convolutions to the story that begins in 1937 and concludes with the German invasion of Poland. Anyone interested in the period will really enjoy the production. Furstís novels are available in the local library system.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
Thanks for posting these Solon. Navigating the search for stuff you don't know about ain't easy. (By the way - cool avatar!)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
Thanks, Bill. I am always looking here for suggestions and I have found some really good shows to watch.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
Since I am always looking for suggestions.let's make a top 10 list of our favorite shows....we can make another list for movies so it doesn't get confusing.Most all the TV shows on my list are available on Netflix.
1.Breaking Bad...best show ever,period
2.Sons of Anarchy,a close 2nd
3.Lost...last season was lame but the entire series was beautifully done.
4.Friday Night Lights...this is the best series ever that was family oriented and where I get my UN.
5.24,had it its ups and downs but the Jack Bauer character was so good you had to watch.
6.Homeland,particularly the 1st 2 seasons but again you get invested in the characters so you watch.
7.Soprano's...very good till the end and the harbinger of the anti hero story line.Not on Netflix
8.Better Call Saul,particularly the 2nd and 3rd season as the 1st one was a bit slow.BB Spinoff
9.Shameless,really out of the box series,not for the easily offended
10 Long mire,old school meets new school
My list might change in it's order and I am sure I left some out but those top 5 of mine are pretty consistent.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 01:02:10 AM »
I'll do this, but it's not easy for me and will take some time.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »
I'll do this, but it's not easy for me and will take some time.
It's interesting that my list is basically from the last 10-15 years so it was easy to come up with.TV drama shows have gotten much better than they were with the exception of comedies...I dunno if it's cause I am getting older or what but these new comedy sitcoms just aren't funny to me.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
.I dunno if it's cause I am getting older or what but these new comedy sitcoms just aren't funny to me.

Me too.

I missed Monday's "Better Call Saul Episode." I thought I set it to record, but it didn't. When does it come out on Comcast on demand? Wasn't there last night.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »
VT you have a great list. I would agree on almost all of them, but I couldn't get into Shameless. I never gave Better Call Saul a chance but now I will.
I would add The Wire to my list. HBO's Rome, Game of Thrones, and The Tudors are on my list of favorites too.

Babylon 5 is my favorite SciFi series of all time. I really liked the remake of Battlestar Gallactica. I wish someone would do that for Babylon.

I agree on the comedies. I can't recall the last one I watched consistently.   

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:34:36 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
.I dunno if it's cause I am getting older or what but these new comedy sitcoms just aren't funny to me.

Me too.

I missed Monday's "Better Call Saul Episode." I thought I set it to record, but it didn't. When does it come out on Comcast on demand? Wasn't there last night.
Better Call Saul didn't have a new episode monday they just showed the 3rd season repeats...new episode monday,tomorrow.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »
VT you have a great list. I would agree on almost all of them, but I couldn't get into Shameless. I never gave Better Call Saul a chance but now I will.
I would add The Wire to my list. HBO's Rome, Game of Thrones, and The Tudors are on my list of favorites too.

Babylon 5 is my favorite SciFi series of all time. I really liked the remake of Battlestar Gallactica. I wish someone would do that for Babylon.

I agree on the comedies. I can't recall the last one I watched consistently.
The Wire is good but I never finished it.I want to watch Game of Thrones but these HBO and Showtime shows are hard for me to watch cause I don't have them and they are not on Netflix.I may look and see if they are on Amazon.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 12:37:37 AM »
I see that Amazon has Band of Brothers. It's high on my favorites list.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
Yes,that,Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge are the best war movies/mini series I have ever seen.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
Yes,that,Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge are the best war movies/mini series I have ever seen.

I agree with that. I can count on one hand the movies I have seen more than once. I watch Saving Private Ryan at least once a year. I have watched the whole series of Band of Brothers 4 times and counting and I will definitely watch Hacksaw Ridge again.
...H. L. Mencken