Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 7090 times)

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
Quote from: Riggins;1115
Any you space nuts watched Firefly? Lol,It's a one season series that for some reason did not continue but I think it's great.

I watched the original and really enjoyed it. Dedicated followers were rewarded with a movie a few years later, Serenity. Unfortunately, it didn't bring the series back. I wonder if the movie is also on Netflix?
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: Solon;1117
I watched the original and really enjoyed it. Dedicated followers were rewarded with a movie a few years later, Serenity. Unfortunately, it didn't bring the series back. I wonder if the movie is also on Netflix?
I think it is,I will check cause I want to see the movie as soon as I finish the series.

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
The French series, Spiral, reminds me somewhat of The Wire, although the focus remains on the same characters in each season, so far. I am into the second of four seasons. It is unblinking where dead bodies are concerned, but always in the story context. The differences between the French legal system and our own adds an interesting element to the story.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »
Serenity was not on Netflix but I found it online.I finished the series so I will watch it soon.

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
Henning Mankell is a great Swedish crime novelist. His books can be found in the Blue Ridge Regional Library system. Netflix has two different versions of his novels available. The Swedish version with English subtitles is Henning Mankells' Wallander. The English language series, Wallander, was produced in the UK and shown on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery starring no less than Kenneth Branagh. The UK series has Wallander as a tortured, miserable man albeit a master detective. The Swedish series, each episode of short movie length, presents a taciturn man with less obvious angst. I watched the PBS series on its original schedule, but its concluding episodes were shown a year or so ago. I am watching the Swedish series now. It moves at a somewhat slower pace than most US series, but I prefer it to the UK version. I have great admiration for Kenneth Branagh, but the Swedish version is more appealing in human terms and, I think, presents a more authentic version of the novels.

I have one minor complaint. I think the music is awful. Tense moments in the story are disrupted with a screeching cello that I find off-putting, but that's just me. For the most part I think its great.

I really have to thank you guys for talking about Longmire because I would never have subscribed to Netflix otherwise. BTW, does anyone know when or if there is going to be another season of Longmire?
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »
Longmire should be back this year I would hope.I am watching Shamless on Netflix now.Great show about a dysfunctional family.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
this is the final season of longmire coming up.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Solon

• View Profile
Re: Netflix
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 02:04:42 AM »
The Last Kingdom has posted its second season and I am really enjoying it. The series is based on Saxon England during the Viking occupation. King Alfred is the historic king and the hero of the series is the fictional Uhtred of Bebbanburgh (now Bamburgh). The basis for the series are the historical novels of Bernard Cornwall from his Saxon Stories. There is little in the historical record from this period, but Alfred the Great is credited with initiating the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles c. 890 which irregularly recorded events, names, and dates in the England of the period until, and somewhat beyond, the Norman Conquest by William the Conqueror in 1066. Characters and events from the period show up with imaginative fiction added to fill in details. Conrwell himself wrote that the period allows for considerable freedom of imagination. The books are ready-made for development as a TV or movie series.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:07:51 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Is season 1 still available? Sounds like one I'd like to watch from the beginning.

It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »
Both seasons are listed together so you start with Season 1. There are 10 books in the Saxon Tales and counting. The most recent book was published last November.

Cornwell is most famous for his Sharpe series that detailed the career of the Duke of Wellington. That series began with his early career in India, followed him to the Peninsular Campaign (Napoleonic war in Spain) and finally his great victory at Waterloo. PBS showed the video series many years ago. I haven't seen that on Netflix but it's a really good one too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:37:05 PM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:37 PM »
Netflix must watch.:

"Dear White People"

May only appeal to the post-boomer generations, however.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »

I'll give it a try. It sounds like something old white men may not want to hear. LOL.
...H. L. Mencken

Common Sense

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
Yeah, I think so Solon! But for more open minded folks of all ages its a good take on social realities in this country. Based around a cast of college students; but the social justice aspect is very well-written. 
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." - POTUS #32

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
the new series about the nuns murder is not that good.could not watch after the 1st 2 episodes.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
I watched War Machine, the movie with Brad Pitt playing a fictionalized Stanley McChrystal. I didn't like anything about it. It's reviewed as an antiwar movie based on the book by the Rolling Stone reporter who traveled with the McChrystal entourage briefly and wrote a story that cost McChrystal his command position in Afghanistan. Clearly, I lack a sense of humor about the war in Afghanistan or anyone associated with it. There is no one who is not lampooned. Everyone who appears in the movie is a cartoon character whose superficiality or fecklessness is supposed to show, I suppose, the pointlessness of intervention and the incompetence of everyone associated with it. This belies the facts about MacChrystal's career or the chief diplomat's, Richard Holbrooke, and I am sure many others who are not front and center. Harmid Karzai is portrayed as the most clownish of all, more concerned about his TV addiction than what the US is doing in his country. That seems almost grotesque given the transformation of his attitude toward the US from the mutual support he and US officials initially provided for each other and the bitterness he displayed before he left office. 

I can't mention any of the great Vietnam movies in the same paragraph with this travesty. Some of the best were called antiwar, and important characters appeared to be ridiculous fools, but none of those movies left me with the disgust I felt for this one.

Maybe some of you will have a different reaction. I read a review in the NY Times where an officer watched it with his reporter friend and he liked it. Maybe you will like it too.

Fortunately, I watched Hacksaw Ridge the following night. That is a great story and a film worth watching. It's not on Netflix, however.
...H. L. Mencken