Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 7096 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Netflix
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
Take ballgames off the table and 90% of my TV viewing happens within Netflix. Best value out there for me. How about you?

By the way... think those star ratings represent an average of what all Netflix users voted? Think again. This is the official statement:

When you’re looking at movie’s splash page, for example, the corresponding rating you see isn’t a running average of how all Netflix users ranked the film. Rather, the ranking represents what users who have similar entertainment tastes as you thought of the movie. As a result, it’s entirely possible for the same movie to display two different ratings for two different accounts.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
Yes definitely best value,those ratings are all over the place.Now that I know that,I am not going to pay attention to them and just go to the IMDB site for ratings.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Netflix
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
Me too. The thing that screws that whole strategy up is something similar to our household... we have a niece or two that come by the house from time to time. They watch TV - mostly Netflix. Next time I check in Netflix has selected a whole library of frilly shows a 20ish female would want to see. Then the weekend comes and my wife keeps her brother's little girl - now 4. She watches Netflix - cartoon shows and animated movies. Add that to the mix and I have to drill down a bit to find my stuff. If Netflix's "brain" is trying to rate it's stuff based on what it looks like I like - all my stuff is going to rate low!

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Since you guys dangled Longmire in front of me and I joined Netflix, I rarely watch anything else. Crossing Lines has been a real treat and I have started Crown (young Elizabeth II), Fauda (Israeli terroist hunter), and Jack Taylor (alcoholic Irish PI in Galway). House of Cards was high on my list when I started, but I only have so much time for TV. lol
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Youngblood

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
The wife and are are currently watching Blacklist on Netflix , first couple seasons that is. What a great show. We didn't give it a chance when it first aired a couple years ago on one of the Network channels but my daughter made us watch the first couple episodes of season 1 and we were hooked. I think they have over 20 episodes per season so its been a ride so far.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Netflix
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
Quote from: Solon;925
Since you guys dangled Longmire in front of me and I joined Netflix, I rarely watch anything else. Crossing Lines has been a real treat and I have started Crown (young Elizabeth II), Fauda (Israeli terroist hunter), and Jack Taylor (alcoholic Irish PI in Galway). House of Cards was high on my list when I started, but I only have so much time for TV. lol

I liked Jack Taylor. Will have to check out Fauda. Hadn't heard of that one.

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
Quote from: Bill Wyatt;932
I liked Jack Taylor. Will have to check out Fauda. Hadn't heard of that one.

I would be interested in any other suggestions you have since I am a newbie.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
In case you haven't seen them already,Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy are 2 of the best series I have ever seen on TV.

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:45:24 PM »
Quote from: Riggins;967
In case you haven't seen them already,Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy are 2 of the best series I have ever seen on TV.

I agree completely. I watched SOA from the beginning, but caught reruns of season 1 for Breaking Bad and I was hooked for the rest of the series.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »
I have been watching a really good series, "Nobel," which is a Norwegian production about the interplay of domestic politics and Special Ops soldiers who were part of the NATO contingent in Afghanistan. It shifts between locations in each episode as it builds the story line. On the other hand, Fauda has been a disappointment. The Israeli team is presented as amateurish and inept. I assume that is supposed to add to the human drama, but it's really off-putting.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:36:27 PM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
Anyone else watching the O/A on netflix? I am trying to stay with it,it does have some good moments.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Netflix
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
O/A? Haven't heard of it.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:03 PM »
has season 2 of the man in the high castle started yet?
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Solon

• View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 02:04:58 AM »
Quote from: cubsfanbudman;1089
has season 2 of the man in the high castle started yet?

Yes. It's available now.
...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Netflix
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 06:48:48 AM »
Any you space nuts watched Firefly? Lol,It's a one season series that for some reason did not continue but I think it's great.