Author Topic: Nascar Challenge 2014  (Read 7841 times)

Razor

• View Profile
Nascar Challenge 2014
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
this year we will do it a little different to see if we can keep interest levels up.
rules:
1- pick any car for 1 race. you can only use that car 1 time for the first 13 races, then we can start all over for the next 13 races.
2 - final 10 races, The CHASE, we will only use drivers/cars that make the Chase.
3 - you receive the amount of points equal to the cars finishing position.  example:if your car finishes 23rd, you get 23 pts for that race.
4 - lowest score is what we are going for.

we had a situation last year where we had some driver substitutes and things got confusing. lets stick with car numbers instead of drivers, this makes it easier to post results since I will be using car numbers. is that OK?

I don't have any type of prizes to offer other than bragging rights.  we have a few days until we are locked in. if any of you see something that needs to be tweaked or changed, let me know. I'm open minded.

I'll keep score and post as soon as possible after the race, it might be Monday in some cases. I'll post score and car numbers used.

if needed, a driver chart is on the page listed below.

http://http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/2014-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-Team-Driver-Chart

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:14:47 PM by Razor »

Razor

• View Profile
Re: Nascar Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
OK, we have another option for a pool the floor for discussion.

If you go here: http://www.nascarracingpool.com/Pools/  this is a site that allows you to run a pool with multiple options. you do need to register to the site and all they need is a active email address, name and what state you live in. we would pick the weekly pick option. it mentions a $2 fee, Bill has agreed to pay this fee for us since it will only be a handful of us participating if we choose to go this route. personally, I like the idea of the site keeping track of the scores and which drivers are used and all that stuff. there is already a group created called Martinsville Chat and after regestering to the site we can then join the group, a validation code will be needed to join the group.  ya'll look it over and give us your thoughts so we can make a decision one way or the other.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »
OK, we have another option for a pool the floor for discussion.

If you go here: http://www.nascarracingpool.com/Pools/  this is a site that allows you to run a pool with multiple options. you do need to register to the site and all they need is a active email address, name and what state you live in. we would pick the weekly pick option. it mentions a $2 fee, Bill has agreed to pay this fee for us since it will only be a handful of us participating if we choose to go this route. personally, I like the idea of the site keeping track of the scores and which drivers are used and all that stuff. there is already a group created called Martinsville Chat and after regestering to the site we can then join the group, a validation code will be needed to join the group.  ya'll look it over and give us your thoughts so we can make a decision one way or the other.

There are several sites that offer FREE fantasy racing applications. Yahoo, Foxsports, ESPN, and NASCAR.com are some of the bigger ones.

Most are setup where you can only use a certain driver in certain categories(good, better, best) a certain number of times throughout the season. Others are where you are given $100 in "fantasy money" and have to budget your roster based off of how you can stretch your dollars the best. drivers' values fluctuate throughout the season like the stock market. your roster has stay to be $100 or less.

Most of those are setup where you can log in with your facebook profile and don't really have to sign up for a new account. just throwing it out there. Im game for whatever.

XXXX REMOVED XXXX.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:46:32 AM by Bill Wyatt »

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Martinsville Chat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Lp, I've got to step in here.  This site is an extension of our broadcast operations and current law prohibits us from engaging or encouraging any kind of gambling.  Gambling being defined as risking anything of value for a reward.  I've edited your post so it doesn't put us in harms way from a legal perspective.

I want everyone to understand that any "pool" or "challenge" that is done here or promoted here must be done solely for fun.  Prizes are fine, but they must be given away without the winner having to risk or pay anything to do so.

Thanks for understanding.
“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
I make a motion we do the one I mentioned earlier with instructions listed below.

One thing: right now it is setup to only pick a driver 1 time for the entire season. I suggest we make that 2 times per season. I think we would be hard pressed to pick 36 different drivers.

Here are the instructions:

Nascarracingpool.com will host Martinsville Chat's 2014 Nascar pool.  We are now ready to accept teams.

Your can easily join our Pool by following these steps:

1) Register at Nascarracingpool.com
2) Select the "Join a Pool"
3) Enter our Private pool code  NRP4762MAR
4) Select 'Validate'.

Nascarracingpool.com charges $2 per person/team for the season for the software and site that keeps track of everything.  Martinsville Chat will pay this fee for one team per person.

Here are the rules of our pool:

NascarRacingPool.com
Pool Name: Martinsville Chat     
Pool Start: Race 1 :Daytona   
Format: Pick 1     
# of time Driver pickable: 1     
# Trades: Weekly Pick     
Deadline: Start of the Race   

Right now it's set to pick by driver, not by car.  We can change it to car if you want.  Also, it's set so you can only pick one driver one time in the season.  We can change that too.  Finally, the points awarded will be reduced by penalties.  If you want to just play straight points and no penalties we can change that.

ALSO - this is not gambling.  Nobody is risking anything of value to play and although we may award prizes, it doesn't cost anything to be eligible.

the clock is ticking, what do we want to do?

Martinsville Chat

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
Lp, I've got to step in here.  This site is an extension of our broadcast operations and current law prohibits us from engaging or encouraging any kind of gambling.  Gambling being defined as risking anything of value for a reward.  I've edited your post so it doesn't put us in harms way from a legal perspective.

I want everyone to understand that any "pool" or "challenge" that is done here or promoted here must be done solely for fun.  Prizes are fine, but they must be given away without the winner having to risk or pay anything to do so.

Thanks for understanding.

no problem, understood

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
I make a motion we do the one I mentioned earlier with instructions listed below.

One thing: right now it is setup to only pick a driver 1 time for the entire season. I suggest we make that 2 times per season. I think we would be hard pressed to pick 36 different drivers.

Here are the instructions:

Nascarracingpool.com will host Martinsville Chat's 2014 Nascar pool.  We are now ready to accept teams.

Your can easily join our Pool by following these steps:

1) Register at Nascarracingpool.com
2) Select the "Join a Pool"
3) Enter our Private pool code  NRP4762MAR
4) Select 'Validate'.

Nascarracingpool.com charges $2 per person/team for the season for the software and site that keeps track of everything.  Martinsville Chat will pay this fee for one team per person.

Here are the rules of our pool:

NascarRacingPool.com
Pool Name: Martinsville Chat     
Pool Start: Race 1 :Daytona   
Format: Pick 1     
# of time Driver pickable: 1     
# Trades: Weekly Pick     
Deadline: Start of the Race   

Right now it's set to pick by driver, not by car.  We can change it to car if you want.  Also, it's set so you can only pick one driver one time in the season.  We can change that too.  Finally, the points awarded will be reduced by penalties.  If you want to just play straight points and no penalties we can change that.

ALSO - this is not gambling.  Nobody is risking anything of value to play and although we may award prizes, it doesn't cost anything to be eligible.

the clock is ticking, what do we want to do?

i'm game.

i would prefer to not include penalties for points. The only time i would really want the penalty to stick is if NASCAR penalized the car positions in the race and therefore that would effect the points. not if someone car is too low, illegal fuel, etc...

IDC either way whether its car or driver. i think the only cars that are really alternating drivers are the 66, 33, 35, and 52 this year. whatever everyone else says.

LET'S DO IT!

VT Hokie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
Ok I have joined,now how do you pick a driver for the race?
Be Kind

Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
VT,    I logged in and looked at who all was in the group and I don't see anyone else listed besides me. go to MY Team tab, and near the bottom look for join a Pool. click that and find martinsville Chat. once in the group, go back to my team tab and you will have a box with your game name. in the lower left corner is a link named "change team", click this and it will take you to a list of drivers. click which driver you want to use. and that should be it.

VT Hokie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
I am there,do you see me? I haven't picked a driver yet,how do you do that?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:43:14 AM by VT Hokie »
Be Kind

Martinsville Chat

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Weird, I do not see you. Can you see others? Bill created the group and I don't even see him. It maybe designed that way.   I think if you look in lower right corner of your team, you will see a link that says change team, click on that and a list of driver appears and just click one. you are not locked in until the race starts, you can change your pick as often as you like before the race starts.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Martinsville Chat
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Ok, I just signed up for a team myself.

Here's the way you do it:

1. Register for an account.
2. Join the Martinsville Chat Pool using the valid pool code in a few posts above this one.
3. Click "Create a Team" and it should take you to a page to enter the name of your team.

(#3 seemed a little finicky... I had to refresh the page and click it a couple of times)
“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
I see Bill in the group.   

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Martinsville Chat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
I'm having a few second thoughts on this.  I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to pick a driver and for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

I did change to rules so you could pick a driver twice in the season and the score by points only and not reduced by penalties.  I left it pick by driver and not be car.

Razor, VT, Lp, looks like we're the only four that's expressed any interest in doing this.  I'm leaning toward taking Razor up on his offer to keep the figures and we just keep it here. 
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Martinsville Chat
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »
Ok, I just emailed them and they emailed me back saying I needed to select "change team" to select my driver. 

Whatever everyone wants to do, I'm fine with it.  Whatever it is we've pretty much got the rest of today and tomorrow to decide.
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky