Author Topic: My Trip To Russia  (Read 7575 times)

Solon

• View Profile
Re: My Trip To Russia
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
did you make it to leningrad?

Leningrad has been given its original name in the post-Soviet era, St. Petersburg. Several of my posts on this thread are about places in the city.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »

Do you know if you will be going to Maidstone? The Allington Castle is just north of there in Allington, Kent. It's was built in the 1100's and the Wyatt's acquired it in 1492 and kept it for about 300 years.

My 10th great-grandfather, the Rev. Haute Wyatt, was the Vicar of the Boxley Church nearby. Many of my descendants, including Rev. Haute are buried there.

I correspond with a couple of the current members there.

Wow, what fabulous architectural gems! The castle and the church appear to be in excellent condition, yet they date within the first century of the Norman Conquest. The lancet church windows suggest early Gothic and the stone tower, although a Norman and Romanesque structure, remain a feature of late English Gothic. Compare the Episcopal Church in Martinsville across from the library, although it is a modest representation.

Regrettably I did not have the opportunity to visit either. If tourist are allowed, they would be well worth seeing.

It must be inspirational to know that your family participated in one of the great events in history, the Norman Conquest of England.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »
From my genealogy notes:

Adelle Bartlett-Harper, in her work on the origins of the Wyatt family says that "Ancient English manuscripts state that the first Wyatt to come to England is said to have been Admiral Wyatt, or Guyot as the name was spelt in Normandy. Guyot had charge of the Norman fleet when William the Conqueror landed in 1066. He married one of the Conquerors daughters and along with others was awarded large estates, which were located in Yorkshire, near the ancient town of Southange. In time the name Guyot was anglicized to Wiot, the Wiat and finally to Wyatt, by Sir Francis Wyatt, while Governor of Virginia; this being one of the five spellings he used during his term of office 1621-29, when signing official documents.

There is definite evidence that the Wyatts owned land at Southange, (South Haigh, or Upper Haigh), in the township of Kexburg near Darton, "a trifle north-east of the town of Barnsley in Yorkshire".Ē. Haigh still exists and is shortly (1967) to become important as a motorway junction on the new length of the M1. This junction, fortunately, will not affect the Hall which is off the main road to the sound of the present hamlet of Haigh.

The Wyatt family is of Norman-French origin.  The name Guyot in France became Wyot, Wiat, Wiatt, and Wyatt in England; in America Wyatt became the accepted spelling. There is an unbroken line of ten generations from Adam Guyot who came into England with William the Conqueror in 1066 to Sir Francis Wyatt, Governor of Jamestown, Virginia, 1621-1627, and again in 1639-1641.  Allington Castle, Maidstone, Boxley Parish, Kent County, England, was the ancestral home of the Wyatts.  Here they entertained the great and near-great of their country; reigning monarchs, Oliver Cromwell, Cardinal Wolsey, etc.  The Wyatt Coat of Arms, family records, and political achievements are carved on the massive genealogical monument erected within the parish church.

Sir Francis Wyatt's brother, Haute Wyatt, came with Francis to America and established the first Anglican (Church of England) Church in the New World. He returned to England, became the Vicar of the parish church there at the ancestral home of the Wyatts. He is buried there. According to my research at ancestry.com, Haute is my direct descendant as I mentioned in an above post. As you might guess, a visit to my family's ancestral home is on my bucket list.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
how big is the wyatt name across the usa?
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
There are Wyatt's in all 50 states. Most of us are in Virginia. We spread to Tennessee, Kentucky, the Illinois, and Missouri, somehow we moved on from the Carolinas but got a foothold in Georgia. There's a bunch of us in Texas and quite a few in California. Nearly have of us are farmers by trade.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)