Author Topic: Nascar 2017  (Read 5698 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Nascar 2017
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »
Programming note - the Xfinity race today will air on WHEE at 3:30 pm.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
Ryan Blaney came close to a win today finishing a strong 2nd.

superman

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
NASCAR cancelled qualifying this afternoon even after the rains had passed through the area. I thought the Speedway had a new lighting system. They could have cut the lights on and ran qualifying this evening. I bet that would have drawn a huge crowd.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »
The reason qualifying was cancelled was also do to Lightning in the area and they have to wait for a long time to allow people back in the stands.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Nascar 2017
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
I heard it was because the "Crab Thief" (http://martinsvilledaily.com/2017/03/31/crab-thief-on-the-loose/) and the Walmart Arsonists (http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Person-sets-items-on-fire-at-Collinsville-Wal-Mart-417842923.html) were seen trying to smuggle Jesse Jones weenies (http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/breaking-iconic-jesse-jones-hot-dogs-are-out-at-martinsville-speedway-replaced-by-another-brand/) into the speedway confines. Apparently they would have succeeded if not for the campers that pelted them with chicken bones and empty beer cans. Better to shut it down than let something like that get out.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
One thing about stealing food,it's pretty easy to get rid of the evidence.Honestly has the track been hurt by not selling those JJ weanies?

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Nascar 2017
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
Quote from: Riggins;1947
One thing about stealing food,it's pretty easy to get rid of the evidence.Honestly has the track been hurt by not selling those JJ weanies?

No way. Forgotten memory I'm sure. Richard Petty said he has two hot dogs everyday while he's here.

Just like the Ridgeway clock they give away. Used to be made within site of the speedway. Still give the clock away, but it's made in Wisconsin. And of course the speedway itself has no local ownership anymore. As John Prine and Chip Taylor say "It's the Way of it."

superman

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
Lot of empty seats at the track yesterday even though the weather was sunny and 70 degrees.

LpMv2407

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
Quote from: superman;1956
Lot of empty seats at the track yesterday even though the weather was sunny and 70 degrees.

i have noticed in recent years it seems like the fall race gets a larger crowd due to the chase. it's my belief the speedway didn't sell as many advanced tickets for this race as in years past. there was a very healthy walk up crowd. as someone who has sold tickets on race day this year and years past, this was the easiest time i had selling race tickets. i had people from Christiansburg, roanoke, and lynchburg texting me race morning around 11 am looking for tickets begging me to hold them for them. i attended both the cup race and the truck race and had a good time at each. both are easily in the top-4 single day attended events in henry county, and this year the Valley Star 300 may enter the top-3 as it will be held at night. There is a ton of buzz in the short track racing community about that. a lot of people i met and talked to this weekend will be attending that race for the first time this year.

keep in mind the sport is in a transition period with the mega stars of stewart and gordon retiring. Other stars like Bobby Labonte, Carl Edward, michael waltrip, and greg biffle have either lost their rides or retired. 3 of the top 10 most popular drivers as little as 1-1/2 years ago are no longer racing. a lot of their fans are in limbo with whom to cheer for. JR is back this year, but running mediocre at best in 25th in points. Super teams Gibbs and Hendrick are winless in the first 6 races since 1994. as a former gordon fan, i find myself wanting to pull for larson. still waiting to see how that plays out.

superman

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
Considering that Matt Kenseth, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are all in their 40's you start wondering how much longer they will continue driving. NASCAR hasn't recovered from the retirements of Gordon, Stewart and Edwards.

RealConservative

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
I don't see crowds selling out anymore with the new, ever changing Chase format. Especially with the race stages. Honestly, if you have the NASCAR app you can just tune in when you get the notice that they are going into the final stage.

With the Chase changes, that change EVERY YEAR, the continuing growth of the cookie-cutter tracks, and the annualy repaving of every good track they are burning away loyalty of lifelong Cup fans. :(

RealConservative

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
You can't  be serious about JJ? Age doesn't seem to be a valid measure of that guy....as he is THE CHAMP right now and carries the chance to break the 7-Cup Title record.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
Quote from: RealConservative;1989
You can't  be serious about JJ? Age doesn't seem to be a valid measure of that guy....as he is THE CHAMP right now and carries the chance to break the 7-Cup Title record.
After Carl Edwards retiring so early anything can happen but Jimmy does seem to be in good shape and his smooth driving style has kept him out of a lot of wrecks.

superman

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
Nine cars failed to make it through pre-qualifying inspection yesterday at Texas and missed qualifying. Three of the Hendrick Motorsports cars were among the nine. Kevin Harvick starts on the pole Sunday.

RealConservative

• View Profile
Nascar 2017
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Quote from: Riggins;2008
After Carl Edwards retiring so early anything can happen but Jimmy does seem to be in good shape and his smooth driving style has kept him out of a lot of wrecks.

I think youre right! Also I'm not sure Cousin Carl is fully retired. He's stepped away and I wouldnt be surprised to see him fire an engine up in the next couple years.

Yeah, youre on about the #48. In the offseason he runs triathlons.