Author Topic: College Basketball 2016-2017  (Read 2976 times)

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
College Basketball 2016-2017
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
Virginia Tech squeaks by Michigan last night. How UVA came back from that dismal first half to beat Ohio State I'll never know. They love to feed that rope and then see if they can rein it in before the buzzer. And what about UNC? Not number 3 anymore after Indiana told them "what for" five different ways. Great basketball night last night.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
UNC will be fine, That place was pumped up, '81 Championship celebration, UNC kicked them out of the NCAA last march and being in Bloomington all added up to what I expected, a loss. After the first 5-8 minutes, they hung right in there.  No other ACC team has near as tough non conference schedule as UNC has, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St., Indiana in Bloomington and then Kentucky coming up in a couple weeks.  I can't believe K scheduled a game at Kansas, you see how that ended up. bottom line, you play good top 10 team at their home, you more than likely get beat.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:25:21 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like UNC. Gotta pull for my Virginia boys (Cavs and Hokies) but outside of the state and UNC is my favorite team. Still, before last night they were third in the nation. After Kentucky and Villanova everyone else is below them. If they don't have the toughest schedule in the ACC, then who should?

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »
Can't say I'm the least bit surprised at UVA dropping yesterday's game to West Virginia. After that scare against Ohio State it was almost as if they wanted to lose one so they could get it behind them. It's difficult being a Cavalier fan. They are a moody bunch!

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »
there have been some great basketball games lately. Glad to see some serious non-conference competition among some of the top tier schools. Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC have all played top 10 ranked teams before conference games begin. this is shaping up to be another great season with no 1 team stepping up to be the one to beat. Conference play begins in the next week or so.

any predictions for the ACC?
here are my top 6 in no particular order

Virgina - should be a contender. Love what Bennet has done.
Louisville - another contender.  these guys are good.
Duke - lots of fire power. Need to see how all those egos jell with one another. still should be in the top 4 of the ACC.
UNC - lots of experience. need to stay healthy. should contend for the ACC title again.
Florida St. - these guys will be tough too.
VT - this team could be the sleeper and break some hearts this year.

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
UVA travels to Louisville tonight in what should be a great game.  7pm tip

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »
UVA looked great for the first 33 minutes last night and built a 21 point lead. In the end they held on to beat Louisville 61-53 to improve to 11-1 on the season.

Next game for the Hoos will be Saturday at 2:00 pm against #20 Florida State at John Paul Jones Arena. I'll be there.

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
ok, Football is out of the way, where is the basketball chat?  

the ACC is a MADHOUSE.  this coming Saturday we have several very good games on tap.   noon has Duke(2-2) going to Louisville(2-2) and UVA(2-2)going to Clemson(1-2), then at 2pm Florida St.(4-0) goes to Chapel Hill to play the Heels (3-1) and Notre Dame(3-0) goes to Blacksburg for VT (2-2).  winning on the road in the ACC has proved to be almost impossible. winning at home is a must.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
Regarding last night's double overtime win for Tech over UVA. Same ole, same ole. The closer to March we get the more Tech starts playing like they are better than they are and the more UVA starts losing games they are supposed to win. Seem like whether UVA has talent or not, they cannot seem to play with the intensity that's common among great teams. Buzz and his boys have intensity, I'll give 'em that. UVA is not a fun team to watch.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
Quote from: Bill Wyatt;1544
Regarding last night's double overtime win for Tech over UVA. Same ole, same ole. The closer to March we get the more Tech starts playing like they are better than they are and the more UVA starts losing games they are supposed to win. Seem like whether UVA has talent or not, they cannot seem to play with the intensity that's common among great teams. Buzz and his boys have intensity, I'll give 'em that. UVA is not a fun team to watch.

So true. I won't soon forget UVA's loss in the NCAA tournament last year in a game they should have won (they blew a 16 point lead against Syracuse of all people). I was ticketed for speeding while listening to the end of the game on the radio. I was more disgusted at the loss than the ticket. It looks like we will endure more of the same this year, but I won't be surprised or distracted this time.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
have you ever seen a basketball balance itself on the rim like it did in the 1st OT of the UVA/VT game? I've seen them wedged but never balanced like that. UVA players were like, What the Heck?

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
Dang Solon! Did you tell the officer WHY you were speeding? lol

Well, Tech is continuing to show these recent wins were earned and not given. Last night they gave Pittsburgh a handful and beat 'em. Tonight UNC and NC State will play each other as well as UVA vs Duke. Hate when two games like that are on at the same time. At least one starts an hour earlier than the other, so there will only be a partial overlap. I'm going with UNC and UVA, but the way both those teams have been playing I wouldn't be surprised if they both lost.

superman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
UVA basketball team is certainly floundering the last two weeks. Five losses in the last 7 games including a 65-41 drubbing at North Carolina last night. Hoos play at home tomorrow night at 7:00 against Miami. Four games left in the regular season to get back on the winning track.

Youngblood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
couple of good games tonight, Duke goes to visit Syracuse at 7pm then Louisville travels to Chapel Hill at 9pm for a 1st place battle in the ACC. UNC is 1 game up, if the loose they will be in a tie with Louisville for 1st place.   get the popcorn ready

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

The conference is within striking distance of the record for tournament berths. That figure, 11, was achieved in 2011 by the Big East in its earlier, larger incarnation of 16 teams. Already, the A.C.C., which has 15 members in menís basketball, will almost certainly become the first conference other than the Big East to send more than seven teams to the tournament, according to figures provided by the N.C.A.A. The tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985 (and to 65 in 2001 and 68 in 2011).

No matter what happens, numerous people familiar with both leagues agreed that the Big East of 2010-11, which included eventual champion Connecticut, is not as good as the A.C.C. of this season.

...For now, the drama centers on the bubble. Virginia Tech (19-8, 8-7), Syracuse (16-12, 8-7), Georgia Tech, Wake Forest (15-12, 6-9) and Clemson (14-13, 4-11) are all candidates to claim at-large bids to the N.C.A.A. tournament ó or to miss out. If all got in, the A.C.C. would almost certainly place 12 teams in the bracket, breaking the Big Eastís record.

This Yearís A.C.C. Might Be the Best College Basketball League Ever
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/sports/ncaabasketball/acc-basketball-ncaa-tournament.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:04:05 PM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken