Author Topic: What have you seen lately  (Read 15597 times)

Blue Fish

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
Re: What have you seen lately
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    lazebone, I so want to comment on a number of your first observations, but it would spoil the next few episodes, so I'll hold back. Let me know how you progress with this and I'll comment afterward.

This thread is really becoming of value to me. Watching good stuff I likely would have missed!
    It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

ToupeeJay

• View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: January 01, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • There are three movies that I've seen within the last week that I'll share. One was beautiful, one was thought-provoking, the other was a waste of time.

Beautiful - "The Shape of Water"
    Guillermo del Toro really knows how to tell a story that feels like a classic movie. It's mostly a love story between a woman and a merman creature. You are definitely expected to suspend disbelief there. It's a creative story that not many people could pull off and technically it's about as perfect as it gets. Definite Oscar nods for this one.

Thought Provoking - "Ladybird"
    Directorial debut from Greta Gerwig. I've seen her act in a few things, enough to remember her name. I had never heard of this movie until it was all over entertainment news that it received a near perfect score from most critics. I agree with most of them that Ladybird has a lot to offer. There are a lot of relatable characters and leaves you thinking about choices you've made over the years. I love a movie that sticks with you a couple days after. Definite Oscar nods here too

Waste of Time - "I, Tonya"
    Maybe that's a bit harsh. There are some things to like; Margot Robbie's performance, the camerawork, and the makeup artists are all amazing. Everything else seemed like a failed attempt or just plain unappealing. Most of the characters are unlikable and try to play that angle for laughs. It mostly comes off as a bad joke that may have been funny if it were well written. One aspect I do appreciate is understanding the whole story better and who Tonya Harding is and could have been.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #182 on: January 01, 2018, 05:12:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oops. You answered my question on the other thread here. I don't think any of them are playing around here.

ToupeeJay

• View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: January 01, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oops. You answered my question on the other thread here. I don't think any of them are playing around here.

Yeah, the closest theaters playing them are in Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. Those indie movies tend to show up on Amazon or Netflix pretty quick after their box office run.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #184 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
  • Publish
    Those indie movies tend to show up on Amazon or Netflix pretty quick after their box office run.

They never show up here, ever. If it wasn't for Amazon and Netflix I wouldn't have a clue what's going on at the movies today.

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: January 03, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • I finished Season 1 of "Trapped" on Amazon. It is one of the best police procedurals/murder mysteries I have seen. Part of its uniqueness is its location. Filmed in Iceland with local actors who blend with the environment, it exudes authenticity. Subtitles are in English, but they are easy to read because the dialogue is so limited. Swedish noir has a real challenger in Icelandic noir. I have watched the Swedish and BBC versions of Wallander, and I rate this higher. Still, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy remains my number 1. (That's on Netflix.)
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #186 on: January 04, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Still plugging along with my Plinky Blinders. Really surprised this show gains no traction with you guys here. I think the dang show is pretty dang perfect all the way around. For a gangsta flick that is.

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: January 04, 2018, 08:15:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • Still plugging along with my Plinky Blinders. Really surprised this show gains no traction with you guys here. I think the dang show is pretty dang perfect all the way around. For a gangsta flick that is.

It's on my soon-to-watch list. I just keep getting diverted on my way to it.  :)
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #188 on: January 04, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • I hear ya' Solon!

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Amazon has something new for Philip K. Dick fans. On Jan. 12 an anthology series called "Electric Dreams" will premier based on his early short stories. I have to say it, although I deserve to be panned for it: he was light years ahead of his time.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I am watching Dark right now,glad someone here recommended it.It's really good.