December 11, 2017, 07:41:02 PM

Author Topic: What have you seen lately  (Read 14328 times)

Skinsguy

• Hail To The Redskins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What have you seen lately
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
We finished Stranger Things 2 this weekend. Man, such a great show! Don't know if they'll do a season 3 or not, but if they do, I hope they hurry up and do it before the kids all grow up! I think what I love about the show more than anything is the 1980's setting. Everything is 1980's! The hair styles, the clothes, the cars, the styles of the homes, the sound track. Such a brilliant idea!
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

Oh, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2017, 03:52:17 AM »
They are def doing a season 3. It has not "officially" been greenlit, but the Duffer brothers (Creators/Writers/Exec Producers) said in a story today that they are currently writing the 3rd season and are planning to delve more into the characters rather than increasing the magnitude of the show this go round.

Again, although it does not "officially" have the green light, this is nothing more than a formality. The Duffer brothers have openly said they have a 4 seasons planned and Netflix execs have said they are trying to get the brothers to span the story into 5 seasons worth of material.

I have to say, I was not as impressed with the second season as I was with the first from a storytelling perspective. Not that it was "bad." The events just did not occur as organically. However, it was absolutely entertaining and difficult to stop watching on any given episode. The cliffhangers really drew me into "starting" the next episode, which basically turned into watching the rest of the episodes, lol.

The best thing about the first season is that it really does feel like a movie from that time period. It gives off the same vibes as the Spielberg classics although with just the right amount of extra "edge" to feel modern in ways. It was also very well shot, written, and acted. It was a well made 9 hour movie that balanced being individually excellent while giving just the right amount of homage to the classics ....

The second really felt like an 80's sequel ........... Where the first 80's movie would be well made and introduce and interesting universe and characters, and the sequels inevitably would play up whatever the audience found entertaining ...

And I think that's what it comes down to for me ...... The first season had merit as a standalone, the "sequel" season was pure entertainment in the same way the Lethal Weapons were, Rambo, Rocky (even released late 70's) ...... Most of those franchises started out the same way. I mean Rocky was an OSCAR WINNING MOVIE for cryin out loud. Even though I love them all and Rocky V is a fav, it definitely a'int Academy Award material lol .....

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the Duffer Brothers latched onto something that made this feel like the ultimate homage to the 80's in so many different ways.

--------------------------------------------

Also watched Mindhunter on Netflix .... about the creation of the profiling methods that the FBI uses. Made by the director/creator of House of Cards, Se7en, Fight Club, Social Network .....

Pretty interesting ... I would say what makes it so interesting is the philosophical and scientific questions it brings up ... It has that monotone dragnet type feel to it. Worth a watch.

Also, if you've never seen Fight Club or Se7en, you are missing out. Probably two of the most mind blowing surprise endings ever ... Both changed the game in Hollywood when they came out.

----------------------------------
One other thing, looks like Spacey is out of House of Cards. They may continue the show, but Netflix mandated that they will not bring it back if Spacey is involved at all. Regardless of the man's personal issues, he played a character that owned the show. The world of that show does not work without his character, and I seriously doubt I will be continuing with it.

Honestly, the show  has been going downhill since Frank Underwood became the president. I think the best ending would have been the season finally when he walked into the Oval Office with that ominous music in the background. The aura of the show was about the long strategic game he was playing to reach the pinnacle. Once he reached it, there was just no climax that could equal it.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
They are def doing a season 3. It has not "officially" been greenlit, but the Duffer brothers (Creators/Writers/Exec Producers) said in a story today that they are currently writing the 3rd season and are planning to delve more into the characters rather than increasing the magnitude of the show this go round.

Again, although it does not "officially" have the green light, this is nothing more than a formality. The Duffer brothers have openly said they have a 4 seasons planned and Netflix execs have said they are trying to get the brothers to span the story into 5 seasons worth of material.

I have to say, I was not as impressed with the second season as I was with the first from a storytelling perspective. Not that it was "bad." The events just did not occur as organically. However, it was absolutely entertaining and difficult to stop watching on any given episode. The cliffhangers really drew me into "starting" the next episode, which basically turned into watching the rest of the episodes, lol.

The best thing about the first season is that it really does feel like a movie from that time period. It gives off the same vibes as the Spielberg classics although with just the right amount of extra "edge" to feel modern in ways. It was also very well shot, written, and acted. It was a well made 9 hour movie that balanced being individually excellent while giving just the right amount of homage to the classics ....

The second really felt like an 80's sequel ........... Where the first 80's movie would be well made and introduce and interesting universe and characters, and the sequels inevitably would play up whatever the audience found entertaining ...

And I think that's what it comes down to for me ...... The first season had merit as a standalone, the "sequel" season was pure entertainment in the same way the Lethal Weapons were, Rambo, Rocky (even released late 70's) ...... Most of those franchises started out the same way. I mean Rocky was an OSCAR WINNING MOVIE for cryin out loud. Even though I love them all and Rocky V is a fav, it definitely a'int Academy Award material lol .....

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the Duffer Brothers latched onto something that made this feel like the ultimate homage to the 80's in so many different ways.

--------------------------------------------

Also watched Mindhunter on Netflix .... about the creation of the profiling methods that the FBI uses. Made by the director/creator of House of Cards, Se7en, Fight Club, Social Network .....

Pretty interesting ... I would say what makes it so interesting is the philosophical and scientific questions it brings up ... It has that monotone dragnet type feel to it. Worth a watch.

Also, if you've never seen Fight Club or Se7en, you are missing out. Probably two of the most mind blowing surprise endings ever ... Both changed the game in Hollywood when they came out.

----------------------------------
One other thing, looks like Spacey is out of House of Cards. They may continue the show, but Netflix mandated that they will not bring it back if Spacey is involved at all. Regardless of the man's personal issues, he played a character that owned the show. The world of that show does not work without his character, and I seriously doubt I will be continuing with it.

Honestly, the show  has been going downhill since Frank Underwood became the president. I think the best ending would have been the season finally when he walked into the Oval Office with that ominous music in the background. The aura of the show was about the long strategic game he was playing to reach the pinnacle. Once he reached it, there was just no climax that could equal it.

I think the first season was definitely better, but that's because I didn't know what to expect when I watched the first season. So, everything was "new" to me. By season two, there are expectations being formed, and almost always, sequels and second seasons don't live up to the first season. That being said, I quite enjoyed the second season. I'll admit, though, if these seasons had more episodes, it wouldn't be as good. I think 8 episodes is the magic number for shows like this. Basically like a "miniseries". I think I did read somewhere that Stranger Things was going to be 4 seasons, and a possibility of a fifth. I would say that the Duffer Brothers need to have this done before the kids all grow up. It's not going to be nearly as good once these kids are teenagers and college age.

This is probably the only "horror" show my wife will watch, and it's basically because it's in the vein of Goonies, and she loved the Goonies. If it was more like the American Horror Stories, she wouldn't watch it. But I think the biggest appeal to me, other than the characters themselves, is the fact that the show's setting is based in the 1980's. My favorite decade by far, and this show lets me get lost in time. I wished there were more period shows as well done as Stranger Things.
No matter how much we may disagree, doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion nor your freedom to speak it. Doesn't mean I don't have to agree with it either.

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2017, 03:08:02 AM »
I think the first season was definitely better, but that's because I didn't know what to expect when I watched the first season. So, everything was "new" to me.

Completely agree.

By season two, there are expectations being formed, and almost always, sequels and second seasons don't live up to the first season.

Agree with this as a historical reference, but things are quickly changing. For example, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Man in the High Castle are just a few examples of how programs in recent times have changed the game by becoming even better than the first. Once the "world" is created, the showrunners have a vast sandbox to play in.

This is most directly related to the fact that seasons and story arcs can be planned out long-term, as there is no reason any longer to cancel tv shows so prematurely due to the fact that as a minimum, they can fill out a streaming library. Basically, any non-network show can eek out at least 3 seasons at this point. This allows slow starters to find an audience, and allows for foreshadowing and plot development on a much grander scale.

Westworld is a prime example of a show that has benefited from this. I absolutely expect the second season to blow the roof off the first and this show will become HBO's Game of Thrones replacement.

With all that said, I feel like Stranger Things did not get better ... it was a little more "popcorn" entertainment as opposed to organic character and plot development as the first season was. But, my thing is that ... this is basically the formula of the 80's franchises ... so whether intentional or not, the Duffer Brothers created something that, so far, is an ultimate homage to 80's movies, while being individually unique at the same time.

I'll admit, though, if these seasons had more episodes, it wouldn't be as good. I think 8 episodes is the magic number for shows like this. Basically like a "miniseries".

Completely agree. While we all want "more," that's the problem with a lot of network shows .. They have to fill 22 episodes. Sometimes less is more.

This is probably the only "horror" show my wife will watch, and it's basically because it's in the vein of Goonies, and she loved the Goonies.

Love the quotes there on "horror." lol ... I agree, it's such a weird hybrid of "family 80's film" mixed "just over the line" horror without becoming a true horror spectacle. In other words, it's a "fun" scary as opposed to something disturbing.

But I think the biggest appeal to me, other than the characters themselves, is the fact that the show's setting is based in the 1980's. My favorite decade by far, and this show lets me get lost in time. I wished there were more period shows as well done as Stranger Things.

Love the setting also, and as mentioned, it truly captures the "feel" of the period... But, with the caveat of feeling like the movies of that time period as opposed to what it felt like to live in that time period. If that makes sense lol.

If you like the 80's, Halt and Catch Fire from AMC is a 80's setting as well, and moves into the early 90's by it's end.

I have to give Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, and Deadwood props for the "most realistic" period settings though. As good as Stranger Things is in this department, there are a lot of Easter Eggs and product placement that wouldn't have been that realistic back then. Those Ghostbusters costumes? Come on. We all know you weren't getting ANYTHING that authentic back then lol.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:12:54 AM by lazebone »

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
I think the first season was definitely better, but that's because I didn't know what to expect when I watched the first season. So, everything was "new" to me.

Completely agree.

By season two, there are expectations being formed, and almost always, sequels and second seasons don't live up to the first season.

Agree with this as a historical reference, but things are quickly changing. For example, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Man in the High Castle are just a few examples of how programs in recent times have changed the game by becoming even better than the first. Once the "world" is created, the showrunners have a vast sandbox to play in.

This is most directly related to the fact that seasons and story arcs can be planned out long-term, as there is no reason any longer to cancel tv shows so prematurely due to the fact that as a minimum, they can fill out a streaming library. Basically, any non-network show can eek out at least 3 seasons at this point. This allows slow starters to find an audience, and allows for foreshadowing and plot development on a much grander scale.

Westworld is a prime example of a show that has benefited from this. I absolutely expect the second season to blow the roof off the first and this show will become HBO's Game of Thrones replacement.

With all that said, I feel like Stranger Things did not get better ... it was a little more "popcorn" entertainment as opposed to organic character and plot development as the first season was. But, my thing is that ... this is basically the formula of the 80's franchises ... so whether intentional or not, the Duffer Brothers created something that, so far, is an ultimate homage to 80's movies, while being individually unique at the same time.

I'll admit, though, if these seasons had more episodes, it wouldn't be as good. I think 8 episodes is the magic number for shows like this. Basically like a "miniseries".

Completely agree. While we all want "more," that's the problem with a lot of network shows .. They have to fill 22 episodes. Sometimes less is more.

This is probably the only "horror" show my wife will watch, and it's basically because it's in the vein of Goonies, and she loved the Goonies.

Love the quotes there on "horror." lol ... I agree, it's such a weird hybrid of "family 80's film" mixed "just over the line" horror without becoming a true horror spectacle. In other words, it's a "fun" scary as opposed to something disturbing.

But I think the biggest appeal to me, other than the characters themselves, is the fact that the show's setting is based in the 1980's. My favorite decade by far, and this show lets me get lost in time. I wished there were more period shows as well done as Stranger Things.

Love the setting also, and as mentioned, it truly captures the "feel" of the period... But, with the caveat of feeling like the movies of that time period as opposed to what it felt like to live in that time period. If that makes sense lol.

If you like the 80's, Halt and Catch Fire from AMC is a 80's setting as well, and moves into the early 90's by it's end.

I have to give Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, and Deadwood props for the "most realistic" period settings though. As good as Stranger Things is in this department, there are a lot of Easter Eggs and product placement that wouldn't have been that realistic back then. Those Ghostbusters costumes? Come on. We all know you weren't getting ANYTHING that authentic back then lol.

Seems like I remember the parents sewing the patches on to the costumes, but if they made those costumes, they did one heck of a job, lol!

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
Well, that I could believe ...

But come on ... they found child size jumpsuits with the exact same pockets, etc. etc ...

Much less the proton packs that look like something someone would charge 500 bucks for on Ebay lol ...

And don't get me started on that ghostbusters trap he made .... I mean, it looked like the actual prop from the movie!

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Well, that I could believe ...

But come on ... they found child size jumpsuits with the exact same pockets, etc. etc ...

Much less the proton packs that look like something someone would charge 500 bucks for on Ebay lol ...

And don't get me started on that ghostbusters trap he made .... I mean, it looked like the actual prop from the movie!

LOL! And th gadget that trapped the ghosts lol!

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Finally finished it,I actually thought it was a bit better than the 1st season.

Skinsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
Finally finished it,I actually thought it was a bit better than the 1st season.

It's funny how some people didn't like it as good as the first, others thought it was just as good, and a few others liked it better. I thought is was at least as good as the first. I was entertained! Definitely makes me want more Stranger Things!