Author Topic: What have you seen lately  (Read 15595 times)

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you seen lately
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Advertisement
    I loved the Punisher,it got better as it went along.Hard to watch at times for sure but I really wanted to see some people die in the worst way possible,and they did,well except for Russo...gotta keep us hanging until the next season.

lazebone

• View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: December 16, 2017, 04:31:28 AM »
  • Publish

• That said, I'm nearing the end of the "Punisher." I've never seen a show where the guy gets shot, cut, and beat up more than this one. lol

LOL. You should watch the Mel Gibson classic "Payback" .... Guy is  on a serious mission of revenge lol. In one cringe worthy scene, Gibson is tied down in a chair and the bad guy smashes 4 of his toes with a hammer.

A scene later, (SPOILER, GIBSON ESCAPES THE CHAIR! :) Mel has chased the bad guy down again, albeit with a very subtle limp. LMAO, now those were the days of classic action.

Here's the trailer .. I just watched it for the first time in years, and man, it actually makes me wanna go watch the movie again lol. As a bonus, Kris Kristofferson plays the main bad guy.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #167 on: December 16, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • I loved the Punisher,it got better as it went along.Hard to watch at times for sure but I really wanted to see some people die in the worst way possible,and they did,well except for Russo...gotta keep us hanging until the next season.

He's definitely going to be uglier that ole one-eyed Bill!
    It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #168 on: December 16, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Started watching "Godless" on Netflix last night. Man I'm a sucker for a western. They sure make 'em graphic these days don't the? Not much left to the imagination.

lazebone

• View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: December 18, 2017, 02:08:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • Started watching "Godless" on Netflix last night. Man I'm a sucker for a western. They sure make 'em graphic these days don't the? Not much left to the imagination.

That's the next show on my list. Heard nothing but good things, and .. guess I get it from my Dad, but I'm a sucker for a western too lol.

You should revisit Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven." One of the best westerns and movies of all time.

Eastwood, Morgan, Hackman and more. How can you go wrong?

----------- Classic quote ...------

"Hell, I thought 'chu was dead?"
    "Hell, even I thought I was dead. Then I realized I was just in Nebraska."

"What are you doin?! You got three guns there and only one arm!"
    "Well, I don't wanna get killed for .. lack 'a shootin' back."

lazebone

• View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thought I'd also mention I went to see the new Star Wars on opening night.

... And if you can't say something nice, doesn't say anything at all. So I guess that's the end of this post ... lol.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #171 on: December 18, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
  • Publish
    "Hell, I thought 'chu was dead?"
    "Hell, even I thought I was dead. Then I realized I was just in Nebraska."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    You're right. That's a classic.

jonas_24112

• View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: December 18, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Finished "Mindhunter" season 1 on Netflix this week.  A story of the beginnings of the FBI behavioural sciences division.  They interview some of the first "serial killers" and solve some crimes.  It's a good one, so I recommend putting it on your list.   

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #173 on: December 20, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds good jonas_24112. I finished "Godless" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. 7 episodes from start to finish.

Also, yesterday the wife and I finished watched "Seinfeld." Neither one of us watched the show when it was on and being what the show was/is we decided to watch it. We stuck with it and watched every episode. One a day for however many days that takes. Quite frankly it got to be a chore. Not our type of humor - for the most part. I call this a mediocre show at best. For a comedy, there wasn't much in it that I thought was very funny.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #174 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • Started watching "Wormwood" on Netflix. It's a mini-series on the true story of Frank Olson, the scientist who committed suicide by jumping out of a building while high on LSD the government was slipping him.

Riggins

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #175 on: December 24, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Got one more episode of Godless to watch,really good series.Also the soundtrack is top notch.

Solon

• View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: December 26, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • I finished the third season of Broadchurch. It you like British crime series this is a gritty one. The subject is a rape and the psychology of it is pretty raw. As with many of the Brit series you don't see the crime, but the dialogue around it is probably more traumatic. David Tennant is the lead detective with a very unlikable demeanor. The first two seasons were on PBS.

The Punisher is not what I expected. Jon Bernthal seems almost exactly the same guy he played on The Walking Dead. I like it much better than I thought I would. 

Both are on Netflix.
    On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
    ...H. L. Mencken

Riggins

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: December 26, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • I watched the 1st 2 seasons of Broadchurch and liked them a lot,I will start the 3ed season asap.

Blue Fish

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • bwyatt.com
    « Reply #178 on: December 28, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well... the wife and I have finished Seinfeld and haven't decided what's going to be our next half-hour sitcom so we watched S1, E1 of Frasier last night. Being in radio most of my life I relate to so much of it. Just a great show.

I've finished "Godless" so I started fishing around for something new and discovered they've come out with Season 2 of "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix.

This is like Sopranos, except the criminal gang is in England, much younger cast, and set in the 1920's. Extremely well done.

The first series aired on BBC in 2013. It was only 6 episodes. The second series premiered on BBC in 2014 and is just now becoming available here. The third series premiered on BBC in 2016 and I just learned it's due for release on Netflix in May of 2018. Season 4 just finished airing on BBC last week and there's no date listed for when it comes to Netflix. The final season (5) won't air on BBC until 2019. So the saga will continue until later that year here in the states I suppose.

This show has won all kinds of European awards and I highly recommend it.

lazebone

• View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: December 30, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Mindhunter was a good watch. Some of the storyline was a little too convenient as their focus was more on the psychology behind the crimes, but that is also what made the show so strangely gripping. I think I posted somewhere on the forums here before as to how this is kind of like a "Dragnet" for today. Just the facts 'mam.

Just started Godless yesterday. Like Bluefish said, I'm a sucker for a Western. Looks extremely well made so far. And because I haven't fallen into the storyline yet, I'll give a few gripes/comments I have right off the bat. This is coming from my first reactions, which I'm sure will change by the end.

1- Cinematography is excellent.

2- The generic long shot of a man with his hat down, zoom in, and pop up to reveal Jeff Daniels was a little ridiculous. Most people may not notice this, but its a very generic television trick, and sometimes used in movies that are more event or star driven. It's like, the type of scene where the guy opens the door, and has to wait for the audience to quit clapping before he can deliver his first line ..... Hey look everybody! It's a big star. I recognize him from other award winning programs that I like. Maybe I'll continue to watch this show given this new information.... That's literally what drives the thought process behind why a shot like this is included by a director, editor, or producer. I know its a ridiculous gripe, but it takes me out of the moment lol.

3- Sam Waterson can only be on Law and Order. Just who in the hell told him he was allowed to be in something different?  ;D

4- The Sheriff is also the main star on the show "Halt and Catch Fire" (About the 80 computer boom) which I just finished not to long ago, and it is difficult to see him as a different character as of yet. He's someone to watch though. He has been getting more and more parts in better and better productions. Dude will be nominated for an Oscar in the next few years.

5-The accents. Some actors just can't distinguish the difference between a slack jawed yokel, a southern gentleman, a texas drawl, a country twang, etc. etc. I want to know what some of these people are using to study their pronunciations.

Random: George Lindsey (Goober Pyle) said that when he was starting in showbiz, he was told repeatedly to lose the accent or he'd never make it. He said that one day he did a part where it called for an accent, and after that appearance was shown on television he never lacked for another day of work and was never asked to lose the accent again. It was the accent, interestingly enough, that endeared him to most people.