Author Topic: What have you seen lately  (Read 14156 times)

Solon

• View Profile
What have you seen lately
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
I watched Sicario. It tells us that the war on drugs is growing ever more vicious and that the wall would do little to stop the drugs or illegals. They were entering the US through tunnels. But, hey, build the wall. Trump can employ some of those illegals he has laid off from his hotels since the brand took a hit. No doubt it will be on time and under budget...LOL.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »
I just watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The trilogy was filmed in Sweden and follows the books by Stieg Larsson in complete detail. This story has everything you could want in a thriller. I was blown away by the books when I finally gave in and read them and the movies are tremendous. I rented them from Comcast (something I almost never do), or somewhere, when they were first available on line. I am guessing that was in 2009 or 2010.  

After The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. The US movie version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is big on production values, but it changes the story line from the book in a very unsatisfactory way. It lacks the sharpness of the Swedish version and falls far short of the mark in my opinion. Netflix has all three Swedish movies with English subtitles and they are very much worth watching. There may be four or five movies in my adult life that I thought worth watching more than once and this trilogy is about to be added to that small list.

Stieg Larsson died before he could enjoy his fame, so these are his only books. What a loss.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »
I've seen the US version and liked it. Now I really want to see the Swedish version, but I have a very difficult time doing subtitles. I either watch and don't know what they're saying, or I read and miss the action. If I try to watch and read I get a headache before it's done.
It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
Designated survivor isagreat show.the best new show of 2016 in my opinion. You guys would love it.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
Quote from: cubsfanbudman;867
Designated survivor isagreat show.the best new show of 2016 in my opinion. You guys would love it.
You are batting 1000 today cause I came on here to post the exact same thing.This show is awesome.Last night's ep had me fist pumping and in tears at the same time.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
Mars is another great show I am watching on the National Geo channel.It's a semi documentary about NASA going to Mars in the year 2033,with real life interviews with scientists today and actors in the future traveling to Mars...no alien stuff here,very realistic.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
Interesting. I watched the first two episodes of "Designated Survivor" last night. You've got Sutherland from 24 Hours and Maggie Q from Nikita fame! I wondered what had become of her. Entertaining show. Acting is a little campy so far.

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:08 PM »
Mars is a great show.in my view,man won,t make it there and back in our lifetimes.too many impossible things need to be perfected by humans for it to happen.
I like designated survivor cause it asks the question what if?
albert einstein

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
Killing everybody on planet earth is easier than going to Mars will be.
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
Last night I watched "Traded." I mean... I've always been a sucker for a western and if Kris Kristofferson is in it then I'm giving it a watch. This stupidly simple movie was a waste of time. When Trace Adkins shows up running a brothel, chugging shots of whiskey, and shooting unarmed men for having rough sex with his women I knew this wasn't just going downhill... it was going to fall off the cliff. Snakes, kids, teenaged prostitutes, gunslinging ranchers, incest, this one's got it all... and nothing worth anyone's time. Even Kristofferson says at the end of the movie when he gives his horse away that he's retiring. If this is all that's left for him, he should.

[video=youtube_share;zZRSQu2jlQM]https://youtu.be/zZRSQu2jlQM[/video]

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
The new season of Vikings began last week. I am enjoying Designated Survivor too.
...H. L. Mencken

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Currently watching season 6 of Gold Rush on Hulu.  It's my secret pleasure to then go onto a facebook page called "Gold Rush Alaska Gossip" where they basically bash the show each week for being so scripted/fake and Todd Hoffman for being lazy and eating too many tater tots.  

Prior to that on Netflix- Penny Dreadful, The OA and Stanger Things.  Currently watching The Travelers on Netflix.  I enjoy Scifi obviously.....

I'm a cable cutter, so no Comcast.  I subscribe to Sling TV to get my cable channel fix.  Still need to get an antennae up for on air stations though.

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
Quote from: jonas_24112;1312
Currently watching season 6 of Gold Rush on Hulu.  It's my secret pleasure to then go onto a facebook page called "Gold Rush Alaska Gossip" where they basically bash the show each week for being so scripted/fake and Todd Hoffman for being lazy and eating too many tater tots.  

Prior to that on Netflix- Penny Dreadful, The OA and Stanger Things.  Currently watching The Travelers on Netflix.  I enjoy Scifi obviously.....

I'm a cable cutter, so no Comcast.  I subscribe to Sling TV to get my cable channel fix.  Still need to get an antennae up for on air stations though.
That's great you can make it without cable,may I ask who you get your internet from and how good/bad is it?

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
Same question as Riggins.

jonas_24112

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
Quote from: Riggins;1313
That's great you can make it without cable,may I ask who you get your internet from and how good/bad is it?

I have Century Link and usually average 9-11 Mbps download speed (live in Chatmoss area).  With CL, speed is dependent upon how close you live to the source....or something like that.  It's plenty fast for my needs.

Sling TV is probably the biggest reason I make it without cable.  It has the channels I watched the most when I was on cable/satellite.  AMC, TBS, Syfy, USA Network, HGTV, History Channel, etc....

As a disclaimer, I will not do business with Comcast and have not for 8+ years.  I had Direct TV, but they tried to force me into a contract when I moved.  That basically forced me to cut the cable in one fell swoop, whereas I had hoped to ease my way into it.  Once I found Sling TV and knew I could get some basic cable channels I liked, it was much easier than I thought.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:01:44 AM by jonas_24112 »