Author Topic: What have you seen lately  (Read 14226 times)

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
Re: What have you seen lately
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
where do you get roku and what is it?
anbody watch animal kingdom? it is pretty good too.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:51 PM »
Roku is a small box or USB stick that you plug into your TV and through Wifi you get a lot of different channels like Netflix or Hulu and HBO...now you have to pay for the subscription for those but some channels you get free......most newer Blu-Ray devices also come with those apps as well.   

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »

Take a look at this:

It's a happy enchilada... (John Prine)

LpMv2407

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
good show i just finished watching - Netflix original

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
Tonight I'll be watching the final episode of Season 5 - Game of Thrones. Tomorrow night I'll start on season 6. Anyone know if season 7 has ended yet?

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
It ended Sunday before last.
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

cubsfanbudman

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »
ozark is a pretty good,well thought out show. the ranch with auston kutcher and sam elliott is insanely funny.
"the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it\'s limits"
albert einstein

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »
I'm on Season 6, Final Episode of Game of Thrones. After tonight, all I'll have left is the season just ended. What am I going to watch then?????

On another note... wife and I decided to give "Veep" a chance after all the Emmy awards. Wasn't our cut of tea.

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
I'm on Season 6, Final Episode of Game of Thrones. After tonight, all I'll have left is the season just ended. What am I going to watch then?????

On another note... wife and I decided to give "Veep" a chance after all the Emmy awards. Wasn't our cut of tea.

Currently watching Narcos season 3 (Netflix original) ... Pretty sure that when season one dropped they talked about how it was their most expensive production to date due to the on location filming in South America. They effortlessly weave real historical footage and photos in with the actors, which adds to the realistic portrayals of the events.

Heres the trailer for season 1 if you're interested!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:50:11 PM by lazebone »

Riggins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
I have not seen a single episode of thrones,I don't have any of those premium channels and they never have their shows on netflix.Currently catching up on Blacklist,a great show.

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:46 AM »

Currently watching Narcos season 3 (Netflix original) ... Pretty sure that when season one dropped they talked about how it was their most expensive production to date due to the on location filming in South America. They effortlessly weave real historical footage and photos in with the actors, which adds to the realistic portrayals of the events.

Heres the trailer for season 1 if you're interested!

Just to add a somber note:

Mexican location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal was shot to death in a violent region in central Mexico Monday while scouting for season four of Netflix’s hit show “Narcos.” The seasoned scout, who worked for Stacy Perskie’s Mexico City-based production company Redrum, has a slew of high profile credits to his name, including, “Sicario,” “Spectre,” “Fast & Furious” and “Apocalypto.”

...Muñoz’s bullet-riddled body and car were found in a remote area near San Bartolo Actopan in the state of Mexico near the borders of Hidalgo state, which is said to have one of the highest murder rates in Mexico. In July, 182 cases of homicide were reported in the densely populated state, a ratio of 12.2 for every 100,000 inhabitants.

According to local reports, authorities have had trouble piecing together the circumstances that led to his killing, given the dearth of witnesses.

Netflix’s season 4 is said to be exploring the origins of Mexico’s infamous Juarez cartel just as season 3 focused on the rise and fall of Colombia’s Cali cartel and heralded the shift of the drug wars to Mexico.

‘Narcos’ Location Scout Shot and Killed in Mexico
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/narcos-shot-murdered-location-scout-mexico-1202561257/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:21:55 AM by Solon »
On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.
...H. L. Mencken

Solon

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
Amazon Prime is showing season one of a Russian series based on the famous novel by Vasily Grossman, Life and Fate, which has been called the War and Peace of World War II. Grossman was a war correspondent from the beginning of the war who covered the first year disasters, the defense of Stalingrad, and eventually followed the Russian army to Berlin. Life and Fate was confiscated by the KGB and never published in his lifetime. Ten years after his death from cancer in 1964, a copy of his novel was smuggled out of Russia on microfilm and published in the West--the first edition in Lausanne in 1980. The novel has the same breadth and depth of Tolstoy's great work. My copy is 871 pages with an additional 7 1/2 page addendum identifying the characters. The TV series opens during the great battle of Stalingrad. There is some narration in English, but all of the dialog is in Russian with very readable English subtitles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:21:18 AM by Solon »
...H. L. Mencken

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
I have not seen a single episode of thrones,I don't have any of those premium channels and they never have their shows on netflix.Currently catching up on Blacklist,a great show.

HBOgo had a 30 day free trial when season 7 started. I signed up and with 1 month free and 1 month paid I will have gotten 7 seasons of Thrones for about 12 dollars. Pretty reasonable entertainment I think.

Bill Wyatt

• Administrator
  • Duriora Virtus
    • View Profile
    • bwyatt.com
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
Game of Thrones - 7 seasons - 67 episodes. In the books. Season 8 is supposed to be the last. Anyone know when it runs?

lazebone

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »
Game of Thrones - 7 seasons - 67 episodes. In the books. Season 8 is supposed to be the last. Anyone know when it runs?

Pretty sure they start filming in October and the last season is supposed to drop around September of 2018 (a little over a year from the previous season.)

Minor spoiler follows if you haven't seen the latest season!

After each episode of this season aired, there was an in-depth interview (I'll try to find links if anyone is interested) with the director of that particular episode. The director of the episode where Dany's dragon annihilates the Jaime's army gave some really interesting insights into just how painstakingly difficult these shoots are.

I remember a quote somewhere along the lines of how it took almost 4 weeks to complete a sequence that got all of about 30 seconds worth of air time ... There are so many locations and the shoots are so long, that the directors communicate back and forth, getting each other to film different shots for the other depending on where they are located, due to the massive difficulty of travel and their being so short on time to crank out the next season within viewer's expectations.  I think he said each episode takes around 4 months from the start of shooting to its being complete, so they must have quite a bit being shot concurrently.

The directors are given the script for their episode about a full year in advance so that they can craft a "reasonable" budget. Each and every minute detail must be given thought before it ever goes before a camera due to how expensive the effects shots are.

Pretty interesting stuff. It was also mentioned that HBO, other than advocating for advanced planning to stay within budget constraints, seems pretty well content to stay out of the filmmakers' ways and give them the creative freedom to go their routes. He said that of his two episodes this season (the one I mentioned and the final episode) the only time HBO stepped in was when they were burning diesel fuel to create the heavy black smoke left in the dragon's charred path of destruction. Due to health concerns he had to settle for CGI in the remaining footage, lol.